You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

True story.

Brutal. Reminds me of the time I rang Sky about the broadband and they put me through to the broadband department. Fucker didn't have a clue what he was on about. I got a bit irate as it was 2 weeks since the engineer had connected it and fuck all was happening. I'd already rang them a few times. He got arsey back with me and I asked which office he was in. he replied 'Portsmouth why?'. I said i'll see you in about 30 seconds. I worked for an outsource company as a sales manager and one of our clients was Sky. I'd got through to a cunt 2 floors below. His face was a picture when I walked over to him. Made it even better that his manager was someone i'd originally employed for a sales job but she was shit so I made sure she got a job in the customer service department instead of getting sacked. I think he was on the phone to the samaritans as I got too him. Daft prick. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

A mate of mine lost his mother a few months ago, he's a functioning alky with a well paid, responsible job, 2 kids whom he sees on weekends.

My mate lives probably about 20 miles away, by himself, in a rented bungalow in a small village in the middle of nowhere.

About 4 months ago my mate got done for drink driving. No-one got hurt or killed but he was massively over the limit and he had zero reason to drive other than he was a drunken dickhead.

My mate was convicted and sentenced a couple of weeks ago; licence disqualified for 18 months, suspended jail sentence. He was fucking lucky imo.

Amazingly his long term employer stood by him, he hasn't lost his job, they've sorted him out an electric bike and computer system to allow him to work from home whenever possible.

For several months now this mate has threatened to kill himself.

I'm part of a WhatsApp group that this mate is in, along with a load of other mates (most of whom know this lad far better than I do), and at 8pm tonight he posts a pic of a load of empty tablet strips, suggesting that he's taken an overdose.

I posted a message to the other lads asking them if anybody knew his address and if they did then to phone for an ambulance immediately. Nobody knew it.

I phoned my brother (who'd dropped this lad off at home a few times before) but all he could tell me was, "the bungalow to the left of the pub which is at the top of the hill in xxx village"

I figured there wouldn't be many pubs in the village and a Google search revealed only 5, one of which is called The Hilltop.

I phoned the ambulance service on 999 and this was enough and they were on their way.

One of the other lads, who lives in Somerset, also phoned the police. They also had an address for him (2 addresses in fact, but 1 of which matched the address I'd given the emergency services) and they contacted Durham police to send somebody too.

My mate sent a picture to the WhatsApp group about an hour ago; he's on a hospital bed, looks like he's pissed himself but he's alive.

I'm equal parts ecstatic, relieved and angry as fuck. Angry because my own mother died only a month ago, I've only just been discharged from hospital myself, I'm exhausted by this covid and I was about to go to bed when I flicked through my messages to see if there was anything outstanding. I'm so glad I did.

I really have no idea what awaits my mate at this stage, because he lives alone in isolation, with the only support available being us via a flipping WhatsApp group, I imagine that if he's discharged and he's free to return home, then it's only a matter of time before he tries to take his life again. Maybe next time he'll succeed.

I'm extremely fucked off, relieved, a little shaken, and fucking knackered.

I hope the daft bastard is ok.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

40 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Thanks Howie but really no need to mate. I need to go back to sleep and flush this whole episode out of my head for a few hours tbh.

Fucking awful that, CD.  I've been through something similar with one of my best mates who has made a few suicide attempts in the last couple of years.  (In truth, they've been fairly half-hearted attempts, but if he tries again his already-damaged internal organs might just decide they can't take any more of his shit.)  

It messes with your head massively to find yourself simultaneously worried, sympathetic and angry.  I hope you've got someone non-judgemental that you can talk to to unburden all your feelings.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

A mate of mine lost his mother a few months ago, he's a functioning alky with a well paid, responsible job, 2 kids whom he sees on weekends.

My mate lives probably about 20 miles away, by himself, in a rented bungalow in a small village in the middle of nowhere.

About 4 months ago my mate got done for drink driving. No-one got hurt or killed but he was massively over the limit and he had zero reason to drive other than he was a drunken dickhead.

My mate was convicted and sentenced a couple of weeks ago; licence disqualified for 18 months, suspended jail sentence. He was fucking lucky imo.

Amazingly his long term employer stood by him, he hasn't lost his job, they've sorted him out an electric bike and computer system to allow him to work from home whenever possible.

For several months now this mate has threatened to kill himself.

I'm part of a WhatsApp group that this mate is in, along with a load of other mates (most of whom know this lad far better than I do), and at 8pm tonight he posts a pic of a load of empty tablet strips, suggesting that he's taken an overdose.

I posted a message to the other lads asking them if anybody knew his address and if they did then to phone for an ambulance immediately. Nobody knew it.

I phoned my brother (who'd dropped this lad off at home a few times before) but all he could tell me was, "the bungalow to the left of the pub which is at the top of the hill in xxx village"

I figured there wouldn't be many pubs in the village and a Google search revealed only 5, one of which is called The Hilltop.

I phoned the ambulance service on 999 and this was enough and they were on their way.

One of the other lads, who lives in Somerset, also phoned the police. They also had an address for him (2 addresses in fact, but 1 of which matched the address I'd given the emergency services) and they contacted Durham police to send somebody too.

My mate sent a picture to the WhatsApp group about an hour ago; he's on a hospital bed, looks like he's pissed himself but he's alive.

I'm equal parts ecstatic, relieved and angry as fuck. Angry because my own mother died only a month ago, I've only just been discharged from hospital myself, I'm exhausted by this covid and I was about to go to bed when I flicked through my messages to see if there was anything outstanding. I'm so glad I did.

I really have no idea what awaits my mate at this stage, because he lives alone in isolation, with the only support available being us via a flipping WhatsApp group, I imagine that if he's discharged and he's free to return home, then it's only a matter of time before he tries to take his life again. Maybe next time he'll succeed.

I'm extremely fucked off, relieved, a little shaken, and fucking knackered.

I hope the daft bastard is ok.

Of all the terrible things you've had thrust upon you lately, something like this is the last thing you need and yet there you are putting somebody else first.

You're a good man C.D.

• Upvote 2

Suicide is an absolute cunt of a thing. 

And fair fucks to you for helping out, particularly with what you've been going through of late. 

I only know of one lad that killed himself. 

Not a close friend, but I do contract work in different establishments, mainly schools, colleges, hospitals. And the chap in question I would have worked with quite alot and always got on with him. 

He had battled depression for so long, and through one relationship after another. He worked in a college that did their best with paying for addiction counselling for him. Gave him as much time off as he needed, but in the end he took his own life. 

It was there for everyone to see, but seemed impossible to stop. 

Shane really, he was a lovely guy, but clearly suffering. I think that's the worst part, their suffering. 

I used to think it was a selfish act. But when I saw this guy you could see the anguish he was going through. He was a broken man. I dare not think of what must have been going through his head where the only thing that seemed logical to him was to take his own life. Its heartbreaking. It really is. 

• Upvote 2

To echo what everyone else already said, tough time and hopefully all goes well.

It really is an illness that goes under the radar somewhat but has certainly had greater exposure recently, 10 years ago I would not have given depression a second thought but now I have four friends )two close and two not so but enough that we would stop and chat in the street) that I know are suffering in varying degrees, my two closest have mentioned ending things on more than one occasion. 

The scary thing is how many are keeping these issues to themselves, my brother had a mate in his early 30's who took his life this year, completely out of the blue for all that knew him, no wobbles, no signs of depression etc, just found dead by a friend who called round his house after failing to get hold of him.

• Upvote 1

A quick update: all of the lads in the group have sent this lad messages of support and are asking if he's ok. Nothing.

My brother texted him and called him a selfish twat, telling him to think of his kids and his dad. Our kidder gets a phone call almost immediately from this lad giving him an update!

Hmm, make of that what you will.

My brother texted me saying that once again though, he seems to be accepting no responsibility for his situation and he only sees himself as the victim in all of this. There seems to be little change.

He's had his stomach pumped and was discharged from hospital at 5 this morning. Back home, by himself in that remote village.

He badly needs some proper help.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

A quick update: all of the lads in the group have sent this lad messages of support and are asking if he's ok. Nothing.

My brother texted him and called him a selfish twat, telling him to think of his kids and his dad. Our kidder gets a phone call almost immediately from this lad giving him an update!

Hmm, make of that what you will.

My brother texted me saying that once again though, he seems to be accepting no responsibility for his situation and he only sees himself as the victim in all of this. There seems to be little change.

He's had his stomach pumped and was discharged from hospital at 5 this morning. Back home, by himself in that remote village.

He badly needs some proper help.

Sounds like a cry for help to be honest and given the current situation he's going to struggle to get any. The fact that he didn't just kill himself without telling anyone shows that but I'm no expert. Just a shitty situation all around mate, apart from speaking to him etc, not much you can do.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's unreal that a hospital would discharge him but not into anyone's care.  CALM have a good rep in Liverpool, there's Talk Liverpool too, and if anyone is ever in crisis I believe Aintree hospital has a psychiatrist in their A&E. 

Yeah I'm surprised he wasn't sectioned.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah I'm surprised he wasn't sectioned.

I think it's pretty extraordinary these days to get sectioned, I mean you'd have to be classed as a real danger to the public I think, but you'd think they'd at least make him talk to someone before he was discharged.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think it's pretty extraordinary these days to get sectioned, I mean you'd have to be classed as a real danger to the public I think, but you'd think they'd at least make him talk to someone before he was discharged.

Yeah, it's almost as though they treat it as drunk and disorderly by keeping them in overnight and kicking them out first thing.

He phoned me, sounding surprisingly chipper and well. Started moaning that his ex had now stopped him from seeing his 2 kids today as previously planned. I had to tell him that she is 100% right, he can't be trusted to look after them when he can't look after himself.

He said he might be back in town tomorrow, hopefully to stay with his dad for a while, but he was tipping out hints about coming round to mine for the match. Sorry mate, not happening, I'm not well enough and he'd only stifle my recovery.

Go to your dad's, get well, get your head together. We're not all 18 anymore, those days are long gone.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

He phoned me, sounding surprisingly chipper and well. Started moaning that his ex had now stopped him from seeing his 2 kids today as previously planned. I had to tell him that she is 100% right, he can't be trusted to look after them when he can't look after himself.

He said he might be back in town tomorrow, hopefully to stay with his dad for a while, but he was tipping out hints about coming round to mine for the match. Sorry mate, not happening, I'm not well enough and he'd only stifle my recovery.

Go to your dad's, get well, get your head together. We're not all 18 anymore, those days are long gone.

All round to CD's for the match! What time is it again?

42 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hope he gets the help he needs. As much as you might wanna slap him into sense, he needs your support. 

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It's good that he's going to be with someone, even if it's only temporary. Some times it's just the mere presence of another person that can keep the thin strand of sanity and coping safe. I know I probably would've done something stupid many years ago if it wasn't for that.

You're doing all you can mate. Stay safe and well.

• Upvote 1