You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

Quite worrying if he was genuine.

I think it’s important to remember that we are on a football forum. He was provided with ample support, advice and self help materials. If he were genuine I’d have hoped he’d had utilised the support here and sought help. Let’s hope he’s safe and well and resumes posting soon.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Samaritans launching a campaign to get people to just say something  - however banal and shit - to anyone they think might be at risk.

https://www.samaritans.org/media-centre/our-campaigns/small-talk-saves-lives?fbclid=IwAR20kNehgXGbBtUmYcKrcYlZAjzxDWitf7pt53qMUqP6Q8lxfP8W6dlClOU

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

PS

When I first posted that, instead of the Samaritans link, I accidentally posted a YouTube clip of Sean Bean repeatedly saying "bastard".

Probably best not to approach an at-risk person with that.

I'm not sure, would have got a laugh out of me to be honest!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Samaritans launching a campaign to get people to just say something  - however banal and shit - to anyone they think might be at risk.

https://www.samaritans.org/media-centre/our-campaigns/small-talk-saves-lives?fbclid=IwAR20kNehgXGbBtUmYcKrcYlZAjzxDWitf7pt53qMUqP6Q8lxfP8W6dlClOU

It's an interesting approach to target that '30 minute impulse' in which people act. 

Would be interesting to see how many people feel confident at doing this if it was someone who was in distress/drunk etc. 

Mates of both mine and the Mrs who've had a bad time in the last year all said it made a huge difference just getting a text off one of us asking how they were. When a couple of mates were really bad I'd text every day, just a simple 'how are you today?' and maybe once or twice a week give them a ring. One mate's wife used to secretly facebook me and tell me how much happier my call had made him feel and to thank me, but said she'd have to delete the message because he'd feel embarrassed if he saw it. We lads are weird sometimes eh?  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Mates of both mine and the Mrs who've had a bad time in the last year all said it made a huge difference just getting a text off one of us asking how they were. When a couple of mates were really bad I'd text every day, just a simple 'how are you today?' and maybe once or twice a week give them a ring. One mate's wife used to secretly facebook me and tell me how much happier my call had made him feel and to thank me, but said she'd have to delete the message because he'd feel embarrassed if he saw it. We lads are weird sometimes eh?  

It's just the stigma and our culture, mate. 

Checking in with one another is new ground for a lot of people but I can guarantee, in most situations, it's two guys feeling the exact same way, thinking the exact same thing and worrying about the exact same problems (more often than not anyway). 

Protip: If you know something is up with someone but they won't tell you/can't put it into words. Make a hypothetical situation up about a work colleague and make it really positive (e.g. person struggling, suggested for them to see their GP, they messaged me back that night and said it was the best step they've ever taken. "Amazing how something so small such as speaking to someone about how you're feeling can be the biggest change you make"). 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I rang The Samaritans once, in all honesty the woman i spoke to and poured my heart out to made me feel ten times worse.   

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I phoned CALM and anxiety UK and have to say they were both shite.

Most of these helpline services are ran by volunteers. I'd always suggest using them as a way to speak to someone if you have nobody around to do that with. Your first point of call should be your GP (and you can refuse medication by the way).

• Upvote 1

In my situation, it was impossible to open up to anyone who knew me. Hence the call to the Samaritans, as i was at my wits end. It felt like the woman was shaking her head and saying to herself "well you've got yourself into this situation through your own stupidity and lack of common sense" as opposed to having a modicum of sympathy or just being a calming presence. 

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

In my situation, it was impossible to open up to anyone who knew me. Hence the call to the Samaritans, as i was at my wits end. It felt like the woman was shaking her head and saying to herself "well you've got yourself into this situation through your own stupidity and lack of common sense" as opposed to having a modicum of sympathy or just being a calming presence. 

Couldn't bring myself to call them but well done you for picking up the phone. Fucking call me if you ever feel like that again. I'll call you a cunt and make you smile. I may have my dick in my hand at the time. But seriously. Loads of good people on here, look out for each other. And you are fucking sound as well. The world needs more of you. What are you wearing right now mate? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Couldn't bring myself to call them but well done you for picking up the phone. Fucking call me if you ever feel like that again. I'll call you a cunt and make you smile. I may have my dick in my hand at the time. But seriously. Loads of good people on here, look out for each other. And you are fucking sound as well. The world needs more of you. What are you wearing right now mate? 

Ballies and a cape

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

I rang The Samaritans once, in all honesty the woman i spoke to and poured my heart out to made me feel ten times worse.   

I phoned them once too, the lad I got didn't want to talk to me because I wasnt standing on a chair with a rope round my neck like Brooks Hatlen. 

I was a bit surprised because i thought they were there to talk regardless of whether you're suicidal but he just wasnt interested. Maybe i called the Samaricunts by mistake.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I phoned them once too, the lad I got didn't want to talk to me because I wasnt standing on a chair with a rope round my neck like Brooks Hatlen. 

I was a bit surprised because i thought they were there to talk regardless of whether you're suicidal but he just wasnt interested. Maybe i called the Samaricunts by mistake.

Seriously? Fucking hell