You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

People say he inherited a great team but there were 7 different winners of the previous 8 division 1 titles. As much of a giant as Shanks was, Bob transformed Liverpool to be an English and European great in a very short space of time. Not comparing both at all as Shanks was a genius, it just annoys me how Bob's achievements are belittled.

Bob Paisley- 1974/1983

All Games 

Manager           P W    D     L   F      A     %

Bob Paisley 535 307 132 96 955 406 57.38%

League

Manager          P W      D L     F        A %

Bob Paisley 378 212 99 67 648 294 56.08%

FA Cup

Manager          P W    D L F A      %

Bob Paisley     36 20 7 9 62 27 55.56%

League Cup

Manager          P W D L     F A     %

Bob Paisley 53 32 13 8 98 31 60.38%

Europe

Manager         P W D      L F     A   %

Bob Paisley 61 39 11 11 140 49 63.93%

Other Games

Manager        P W D L F A %

Bob Paisley 7 4 2 1 7 5 57.14%

It was a fantastic shout by John Smith to hand the reigns over to Bob completely different character to Shanks but absolutely no less of a man or a manager, I loved Shanks but Bob took us to another level trophy after trophy just kept rolling in fantastic years when we were the envy of England & Europe

Our hear and soul he was.

And a big part of mine.

Mine too mate.

That top picture is just wonderful.  Apparently taken on a return visit to Hetton-le-Hole. 

The shy smile and those old boys around him that he would have seen as equals give me a lump in the throat.  As tough and well-constructed as the ships that used to get built just up the road.

• Upvote 2

Mine too mate.

That top picture is just wonderful.  Apparently taken on a return visit to Hetton-le-Hole. 

The shy smile and those old boys around him that he would have seen as equals give me a lump in the throat.  As tough and well-constructed as the ships that used to get built just up the road.

I have an old Liverpool FC History VHS (which I really must get converted digitally).

At the end of it, Bob in that shy, stumbling way of his is captured saying:

"I can't remember one ever coming in and trying to rule the roost. It's never been allowed... the club's always been bigger than the individual... and I think that type of outlook to it... is its strength."

Then, Gerry's YNWA as the credits roll.

Many a drunken late night tear shed watching that. I'm actually surprised the tape never busted. It's almost 30 years old now.

• Upvote 3

I have an old Liverpool FC History VHS (which I really must get converted digitally).

At the end of it, Bob in that shy, stumbling way of his is captured saying:

"I can't remember one ever coming in and trying to rule the roost. It's never been allowed... the club's always been bigger than the individual... and I think that type of outlook to it... is its strength."

Then, Gerry's YNWA as the credits roll.

Many a drunken late night tear shed watching that. I'm actually surprised the tape never busted. It's almost 30 years old now.

That sounds absolutely golden.

• 11 months later...

Not only a great, great manager, but he knew how to spot a player, fuck me could he spot talent.

And a cartilage injury!

You also forgot a great and humble man.

I remember one year, we'd won the title and had his beloved sunderland to play in one  of the last games of the season. Anyway sunderland needed the points to ensure their safety. Bob told the players to get the sunbeds out and sunderland duly won 1-0 at Anfield.

In the after match press conference, Bob chuckled and said 'Any more like that and they'd have me up in front of the stewards.'

• Upvote 1