You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Different world ;

John Keith recounts that Paisley's football skills saved him from a posting to the Far East which would inevitably have resulted in his becoming a prisoner of war of the Japanese. He was captain of the 73rd's team and, when his battery was due to be posted, his commanding officer transferred him to another battery so that he could remain in Britain and lead the regimental team. His old unit was subsequently overrun by the Japanese.[10]

At the end of August 1941, on the bank holiday, Paisley was posted overseas and did not return to England until 1945. He went in a troopship to Egypt, the voyage lasting ten weeks because they had to sail around South Africa. He spent Christmas in Egypt and then received his first mail from England which turned out to be a postcard from George Kay asking him if he would be available to play for Liverpool against Preston North End (Bill Shankly's team) in the season opener three months earlier.[14] While he was in Egypt, Paisley became interested in horse racing through friendship with jockey Reg Stretton and trainer Frank Carr. Paisley learned to ride himself and he retained this interest after the war, often studying form in his spare moments.[15]

He was stationed south of Cairo and learned to drive a 15 cwt. truck. More importantly, he had a month's training on firing anti-tank guns, a skill he needed in the desert as a member of the Eighth Army in Operation Crusader which relieved the Siege of Tobruk. During periods of leave from the conflict, Paisley returned to Cairo where he was mostly involved in team sports, not only football but also cricket and hockey. He represented the Combined Services football team as well as playing for his regiment. Paisley was involved in the Second Battle of El Alamein and subsequently fought his way across North Africa until the final defeat of the Afrika Korps in 1943. He only suffered injury once when he was temporarily blinded by sand sprayed into his face by explosive bullets fired from an aircraft during a Luftwaffe attack on his unit.[16]

In 1943, Paisley went with the Eighth Army into Sicily and then into Italy. Whilst he was on active service in Italy he received the news that his younger brother Alan, aged fifteen, had died at home from scarlet fever and diphtheria. In June 1944, Paisley took part in the liberation of Rome and rode into the city on top of a tank, an event he recalled 33 years later when Liverpool won the 1977 European Cup Final in Rome's Stadio Olimpic

Imagine how good the Japanese Football team would have been if Old Bob had gone...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I met Bob at that exact same book signing and he also signed a copy of the book addressed to my dad that I gave him as a Christmas present. I think it was probably the best present I ever got for my dad. I was around 16 at the time and like you say, at that age you don't really appreciate that you're in the presence of genius.

There was hardly any queue at all from memory, these days there's be a queue a mile long for something like that.

Yes when i had him sign there was nobody there. Just Dear old Bob sat at his table. I remember my Girlfriend at the time feeling sorry for him. (She was not a Football Fan) and saying 'that lovely old man sat on his own' as you point out if it was today the Que would be a mile long.

“A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don’t stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.”

Just laughed out loud in public at that one. Cheers Bob, i needed that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

“A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don’t stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.”

Just laughed out loud in public at that one. Cheers Bob, i needed that.

Yeah ,great one that haha

On 30/01/2020 at 16:53, skaro said:

The statue portrays him as a servant of the club - which he was, first and foremost - and for me, he was our greatest.

Beautifully appropriate.

In reality, of course, it's he who belongs raised on all our grateful shoulders.

Beautifully written. Had me choked up. 

Well played. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I've posted thoughts along these lines before around here but sod it, it's something I feel very strongly about . . . he was the greatest. Not just the greatest at Liverpool, the greatest. You know how Moyes failed hard at Old Trafford, and the consensus after the fact was that it was impossible replacing Alex Ferguson, that no one could have succeeded? And the historical record tells us this is true. There's a reason there are no dynasties in English football. With one exception. It's telling that Klopp was drawn to the down-on-their-luck club that was Liverpool when he took over. He could dispense with the past without resistance from within, without anyone going 'well, it worked under the old gaffer'. What's more, he did it at both ends. Ferguson's legacy has been diminished by how he dropped Man Utd in the crapper, going long on just-past-their-peak types like Van Persie so he could have one more chance at glory before saddling his successor with those players who were now well-past-their-peak. Bob Paisley left Liverpool in better condition than he found it. The greatest.

• Upvote 11

6 minutes ago, suzy said:

I had many arguments with the manc fan twat at my old job too young to know Bob Paisley . He wouldn’t have it he was better than Fergie or deserved the title ‘Sir’ more . But like I said he was a young twat.

tenor.gif?itemid=14248386&f=1&nofb=1

4 hours ago, suzy said:

I had many arguments with the manc fan twat at my old job too young to know Bob Paisley . He wouldn’t have it he was better than Fergie or deserved the title ‘Sir’ more . But like I said he was a young twat.

The only reason ferguson won more titles than Bob was because ferguson was manager for 27 years. For 20 of those he didnt have a sniff of the title. All these fucking mancs saying the league's weak or poor now because we're winning it, well how fucking strong was it when they needed 9 minutes of added time to beat Sheff Wednesday to go on and finally give the mimpetus to end their 27 year drought?

Bob was Liverpool manager for just 9 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The only reason ferguson won more titles than Bob was because ferguson was manager for 27 years. For 20 of those he didnt have a sniff of the title. All these fucking mancs saying the league's weak or poor now because we're winning it, well how fucking strong was it when they needed 9 minutes of added time to beat Sheff Wednesday to go on and finally give the mimpetus to end their 27 year drought?

Bob was Liverpool manager for just 9 years.

Mental it was only 9 years!

• 3 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don’t like the advert, but his family must have agreed to it.

To each their own in Bob's family.

I think it's creepy, the dialogue is wooden, and makes Bob look like something out of Westworld.

"There's nothing for anyone to gain trying to be someone else"... 

That's for sure. 

It's an ad for (the sponsorship division of) a bank.

The re-created image of a legendary dead man might have been better avoided.

• Upvote 3