You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

Clough was a massive admirer of Sir Bob, he wasn‘t alone in believing Sir Bob should have been knighted. Quite simply the greatest; he had the ruthlessness that Shanks lacked to go with tactical genius. Listen to Souness talking about him, Souey clearly thinks he was the best ever and I wouldn‘t argue with Mr Souness. Herbert‘s book argues Sie Bob wasn‘t the nice uncle depicted in the media, he could be as nasty as Slur, but it all stayed in house. RIP Bob, we owe you so much.

Saw him at Phil Thompson's testimonial, at an office window over the main stand, I think. My mates and I spotted him and waved, then a load of others started waving and shouting. He gave a wry grin and nod and disappeared from view. Absolute god of a man- even with all the fantastic players we had under him, he was always my hero growing up.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

Clough was a massive admirer of Sir Bob, he wasn‘t alone in believing Sir Bob should have been knighted. Quite simply the greatest; he had the ruthlessness that Shanks lacked to go with tactical genius. Listen to Souness talking about him, Souey clearly thinks he was the best ever and I wouldn‘t argue with Mr Souness. Herbert‘s book argues Sie Bob wasn‘t the nice uncle depicted in the media, he could be as nasty as Slur, but it all stayed in house. RIP Bob, we owe you so much.

Shankly and himself weren’t particularly close either, according to the book. 

Probably all been seen before but thought it would be good to get some quotes all together from him...

Highlights

Speaking in 1950, while he was still a player: “Believe it or not the most thrilling experience of my life has nothing to do with football. It was the unforgettable sight of Vesuvius in eruption while stationed near Naples during the war.

“The most pleasurable experience is a football one and came when I won an Amateur Cup Final with Bishop Auckland in 1939.

“Though I hope to have a few more seasons still in senior football, I am studying to be a physiotherapist and masseur when my playing days are over. We married men have to look to the future, you know.”

Targets

“I said that when I took over that I would settle for a drop of Bell’s once a month, a big bottle at the end of the season and a ride round the city in an open top bus!”

The art of goalscoring

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Winning the European Cup in Rome, 1977

“This is the second time I’ve beaten the Germans here… the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated.

“If anyone had told me I’d be back here to see us win the European Cup 33 years later I’d have told them they were mad! But I want to savour every minute of it… which is why I’m not having a drink tonight. I’m just drinking in the occasion.”

The Kop

“The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football but with triers who gave one hundred percent.”

Merseyside rivals

After Bill Shankly spent the first Saturday of his retirement at Goodison Park as Liverpool were away at Luton, Paisley quipped: “He’s trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton.”

Commitment to Liverpool

“This club has been my life. I’d go out and sweep the street and be proud to do it for Liverpool FC if they asked me to.”

Jimmy Adamson

“A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don’t stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.”

Enjoyment

“Other people have earned more money than me in football, but no-one has enjoyed it as much as me.”

The press

“Newspapers remind me of Jaws. They’ll consume anything you’ve got and be back for more the next day.”

Long ball or short ball?

“It’s not about the long ball or the short ball, it’s about the right ball.”

The boot room

“We have a marvellous backroom team at Anfield who share the workload wonderfully well. No club has a more able and closely-knit staff than ours.

“The Anfield boot room has become legendary, and we have a full and frank exchange of views in there in a leisurely atmosphere every Sunday morning. It’s just like popping down to the local.”

Ups and downs

“I’ve been here during the bad times too – one year we came second.”

Feeling lost

“One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you’re lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s a secret about Liverpool, that’s it.”

Priorities

“The only games we can afford to lose are in the Central League because our reserves have already won that.”

King Kenny

“I just hoped that after the trials and tribulations of my early years in management someone up high would smile on me. My plea was answered when we got Kenny Dalglish.”

Getting your point across

“Ranting and raving gets you nowhere in football. If you want to be heard, speak quietly.”

Liverpool

“I love the city and the people here. I’ve been with them for many years and I fought alongside them. Ninety percent of the regiment were from the Merseyside area. So I got to know the Liverpool character.

“From a psychological point of view, that was a big asset. I’ve had a fair time to judge the Liverpool people and I think they’re tremendous.”

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I started it, got the first four wrong and gave up. I then saw the same quiz for Roy Hodgson's time in charge, got the first two questions wrong and gave up. I don't think quizzes are for me.

Getting them wrong in the Hodgson quiz, is the right answer. 

He, like his quiz, is all wrong. 

• 1 year later...

Remember hearing of one occasion (think it was the 81/82 season) at a legends night with Thommo.

We were going through a rough patch and had introduced rushy, lawro and ronnie whelan to the team. We were getting beaten by a lowly tean (could have been someone like oxford or brighton) at half time. Sir Bob comes in to the dressing room and tears in to all the main men like jocky, kenny, souey, barney etc and tells the young lads they are the only ones that can hold their heads up, even though according to thommo nobody was playing well. We went on to win the league that year if i remember.

Instantly made the young lads feel good and gave all these great senior players a kick up the proverbials. What a manager.

• Upvote 1

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/384696-bronze-statue-unveiled-at-anfield-to-celebrate-bob-paisley-legacy

A bronze statue was unveiled at Anfield today to celebrate the life and legacy of Liverpool FC's most successful manager, Bob Paisley.

The sculpture was commissioned and donated by the club’s main sponsor, Standard Chartered, in celebration of its 10-year relationship with the Reds, and in honour of its recent work educating younger supporters on Paisley’s greatness through state-of-the-art technology.

The statue immortalises one of the most iconic images of Paisley, carrying the injured Emlyn Hughes off the pitch.

Standing at eight feet tall, the tribute has been designed to sit at the right height to enable supporters to take their picture with the statue while visiting Paisley Square.

Members of Paisley’s family, along with Emma Lynn Hughes - the daughter of former Reds captain Hughes - and LFC chief executive Peter Moore, unveiled the sculpture at Anfield ahead of the clash with Southampton on Saturday.

Pupils from Anfield’s Four Oaks Primary School, which is just a short distance away from the stadium, were also in attendance to treat guests to a rendition of the club’s famous anthem, You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Paisley spent almost 50 years at LFC in many roles, most notably as manager from 1974 to 1983 - a spell in which he led the Reds to 19 trophies, including six league titles and three European Cups.

The club and the Paisley family worked closely with local and well-known sculptor Andy Edwards to create the statue to celebrate Paisley’s contribution to the club and the long-lasting legacy he left behind. 

LFC CEO Moore said: “Bob Paisley is one of the most successful English football managers of all time and led his team to greatness time and time again. 

“His contribution and commitment to Liverpool FC plays a huge part in the tremendous history of this football club, so it felt like a fitting tribute to his legacy to unveil our statue on Paisley Square at Anfield.” 

Paisley’s son, Graham, said: “It’s been a very moving process to be a part of and to see the statue from its original design to the physical structure we can now see here at Anfield. We’re incredibly grateful for this tribute to dad’s life, and the whole family is really happy with the result.” 

Emma Sheller, global head brand and marketing at Standard Chartered Bank, said: “We are honoured to commission and donate this wonderful statue to the club’s most successful manager. This tribute will ensure fans who visit Anfield gain a greater understanding of his huge achievements at the club.”

God bless Bob, Bill, Joe, Ronnie and Rueben.

• Like 1