You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

Well said. Somewhere along the way it all got a lot more poisonous, but there were some giants back in the day - fierce rivals, no doubt - yet they managed to maintain a deep respect for the other.

Definitely. Not many Liverpool and Man City fans who sing Munich songs remember he was a player for both clubs.

The film about Munich that came out a few years ago was criticised for the portrayal of Matt Busby as it depicted him as some Malcolm Allison cigar smoking wide boy. However before the FA Cup final he turns round to the coach who took over the team while he was in hospital and says "you are the reason why this club is still alive, you kept us going". Can't remember the name of the guy but he managed Wales in the World Cup the same year. David Tennant played him in the film.

Even all the interviews I've seen of him he has always come across as a likeable person, down to earth and humble like Bob Paisley. Shankly had the bravado but even when he used to take the piss out of Everton it was all ways a back handed compliment because he knew they had a good team.

• Upvote 1

Definitely. Not many Liverpool and Man City fans who sing Munich songs remember he was a player for both clubs.

The film about Munich that came out a few years ago was criticised for the portrayal of Matt Busby as it depicted him as some Malcolm Allison cigar smoking wide boy. However before the FA Cup final he turns round to the coach who took over the team while he was in hospital and says "you are the reason why this club is still alive, you kept us going". Can't remember the name of the guy but he managed Wales in the World Cup the same year. David Tennant played him in the film.

Even all the interviews I've seen of him he has always come across as a likeable person, down to earth and humble like Bob Paisley. Shankly had the bravado but even when he used to take the piss out of Everton it was all ways a back handed compliment because he knew they had a good team.

I think that that was Jimmy Murphy,he was with Busby for years.

• 1 month later...

Some really nice comments by Avran Grant about Bob and Liverpool, a rarity in that he's a Chelsea manager who I liked.

That part about Bob is just past halfway down and unusually for The Guardian some good praise in the comments section.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/27/avram-grant-ghana-africa-cup-of-nations

• 1 year later...

I remember the day Bob took over the club. I thought how is he going to replace Shankly and yet look how easy he made it. Some people go on about his first season but when you think about it he just missed winning the title at his very first attempt. Like all legends sadly missed. RIP Bob YNWA.

Quite interesting to hear Steve Heighway speak about how Bob was a bit lost at first and how the players helped him through because it was in their own best interests to keep the job 'in house.' Worked an absolute treat too.

Oi!! Only ever Liverpool.

Bob, most humble of men. Still rankles he doesn’t get enough recognition outside of Liverpool.

Bob was a massive Sunderland and horse racing fan. I remember back in the early 80's when we had the title sown up Sunderland had to  come to Anfield desparate for points to avoid relegation. He told the boys to go easy tonight and Sunderland duly won 1-0. Afterwards in the post match presser he gave a little mackem chuckle and said any more of that and they will have me up in front of the stewards. Ha'way Bob!

• Upvote 2

Bob was a massive Sunderland and horse racing fan. I remember back in the early 80's when we had the title sown up Sunderland had to come to Anfield desparate for points to avoid relegation. He told the boys to go easy tonight and Sunderland duly won 1-0. Afterwards in the post match presser he gave a little mackem chuckle and said any more of that and they will have me up in front of the stewards. Ha'way Bob!

Stan Cummins winner,1-0 to Sunderland?

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...