You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

Good article in today's Independent about Bob by Ian Herbert, maybe with Ferguson gone hopefully a few more journalists will start to educate the sky generation on what a great manager/person Bob was and that you didn't have to cheat and bully to sometimes achieve results.

And that you could lose with good grace no matter how much it hurt. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/remembering-the-remarkable-bob-paisley-nice-guy-and-winner-8933648.html

• Upvote 10

Clough loved the guy and always said he was the greatest manager to grace English football.

There s even a documentary with Clough hosting it about Sir Bob done at Anfield.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who started going to the games when Paisley had just took over and created not one but two or three teams who not only dominated the English game , but Europe as well.

The teams he created where feared all over Europe and teams like Real Madrid Bayern Munich respected us like teams have come to respect them again today. Them Liverpool sides feared nobody at all and they swept through Europe far and wide beating everybody on there travels.

Yet to look at him he really did look like somebodys slightly mild mannered uncle in his cardigans. Souness said without doubt the greatest manager and reader of the game he has ever known in the game and even commented he owed everything to Sir Bob like every player who he had managed owed him for what he took them to. 

• Upvote 4

I think what he achieved, especially in Europe so early on in his reign has been so unheralded in the media as to be insulting imo.  Took over what in fairness was a very good team in 1974 and then after having a potless first season moulded the team in his own image and by 1978 had won the Uefa cup followed by 2 European cups, all achieved in 3 consecutive seasons.  As well as winning back to back league titles.  Astonishing really. 

• Upvote 2

The game still needs people like Bob.

A true gentleman and a giant amongst all men.

Nothing more to say really, except to add my voice in praising Sir Bob. He was the manager I grew up with as a kid and he's been a role model to me throughout, not only for his abilities as a football man, but as a human being too.

RIP Sir Bob, you'll never be forgotten!

I think I'm right in saying that if you take any six year period of Ferguson's reign, his trophy haul during that time fails to match Bob's.

Three European Cups in five years is nothing short of astonishing; all the more impressive considering the qualifying criteria of the time. Given that no-one in the Champions League era has ever retained the trophy, it may be a long time before we see three in five equalled.

Not bad for someone who was reluctant to take the job on.

• Upvote 1

I can never recall him uttering a single word of bile, or berating a referee, or pointing at his watch accusingly... he was just as witty as Bill Shankly, but avuncular, you could only really ever interpret it as friendly banter.

I'm sure somewhere there's another honorable manager with principles and character, but without wishing to diminish Bob's stature - you also need players willing to give respect to such a manager. Not many of today's players have that ability.

There must still be SOME decent people in the game still, but fewer and far between than ever I suspect. But moreover, I'm not convinced the modern game would allow such people to succeed any more.

I liken Bob to a shop floor worker who worked his way up, and was admired by all those he worked with, who'd not begrudge his progression.

Today though, people climb the greasy pole through all manner of underhand tactics, and I just don't think 'decent men' stand much of a chance.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...