You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers praises Henderson

Guest LFD

I think Allen will come good.  Sometimes it takes a player a while to settle, new club, baby, injury etc, it can hinder a players performances.

Not arsed where he is from but he looked up for it on Saturday and he is well worth holding onto.   He is going nowhere.

But your contradicting yourself, on the one hand you've asked for Henderson to be given time ( as young players should) and then hoping another young player be sold after an injury hit season.

The difference is I have always rated Henderson, unlike Allen.

• Downvote 1

Hardly.  He shits himself when he gets a chance.  He can finish, don't get me wrong, but he normally does it when the pressure's off.

He's shown it at times, he has had poor finishing at times.  It is an area he can improve.

I don't get either the praise or contempt for Henderson. What I see is a grafter - no more, no less. That's praise enough, these days, to tell the truth.

We'll never get 10 goals or 'scruff of the neck' performances out of him but in a more dynamic midfield we won't need that from him.

He's a top player and always was, we signed a brilliant player and he's never really had a bad game.  People on here used to give him stick when we lost under Kenny, when he was stuck out on the right (but actually had decent games)

He's never had a truly bad game for us and now he's coming into his own.

• Upvote 2

He's a top player and always was, we signed a brilliant player and he's never really had a bad game.  People on here used to give him stick when we lost under Kenny, when he was stuck out on the right (but actually had decent games)

That really isn't true.  He was utterly abysmal at times in that first season.  The derby at Goodison when Stevie scored the hattrick, for example - Henderson's first half performance there made Jan Kromkamp look like Maradona.  That can be possibly be attributed to being managed wrong, being played out of position, lack of confidence, etc, but he definitely was woeful at times that first season and the criticism was definitely fair.

wow.  

and the criticism was definitely fair.

A lot of it wasn't fair, actually most of it.

I don't agree with Dan Shaw, as I think he did struggle at times and had some poor games.  But I always thought he showed loads of talent in that first season, in many different ways.

Still think his best position will be central as the box to box midfielder. 

The difference is I have always rated Henderson, unlike Allen.

Did you see the two games when they played against each other when Allen was with swansea? Don't get me wrong i like Henderson, he's a good kid with a great engine, he needs to add goals to his game and show more composure in front of goal, but he's still young and that could come in time. Imo he needs a definitive big game to boost his confidence, a goal for England or the match winner against Everton perhaps?

As for Allen, sorry but in my opinion he's a far more intelligent player, takes the ball in tight spaces better, tackles better, reads the game better, is more composed and passes the ball better and until his injury was the better player. He's another one who now he's injury free, needs to step up. As long as Rodgers and Pascoe are here, he'll be here.

I'm not about to get misty-eyed after a performance against a gash Fulham side, and a call-up to the international team for a friendly, along with Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez.

That's not to say he hasn't got something about him and could improve to be a very good player, but I just don't see it yet. He played a lovely ball for Suarez, get out the bunting. Now let's see you do that a few more times and get a few goals, or shut down a quality opponent, and then we'll discuss how good you might be.

Where was this classy midfielder against Southampton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Swansea for example? As soon as the heat gets turned up a bit, where is Jordan? It's upto him what happens next, but the clock is ticking and this Summer I still expect us to be in the market for a top class all-round midfielder.

This team has set itself lofty standards, but when you see how good our strikers are, how good our defence is, our goalkeeper is, our attacking midfielder is, then it's only natural to expect the same quality from the central midfielders as well.

So. Well done Jordan, enjoy the praise. Now become better again or you're going to get replaced.

Oops my mistake, I'm looking for the Henderson thread.

Did you see the two games when they played against each other when Allen was with swansea? 

I did, but I judge players on more than two games.

We won't agree on Allen, I think Henderson is a better player in nearly every aspect.

A lot of it wasn't fair, actually most of it.

I don't agree with Dan Shaw, as I think he did struggle at times and had some poor games.  But I always thought he showed loads of talent in that first season, in many different ways.

Still think his best position will be central as the box to box midfielder.

I wonder if Henderson's best position might end up being full back, especially (please no) if we play a three centre half system.

Nah not having it, I remember when we got tanked by Bolton 3-1 away, I came home got on here and people were blaming him and Carroll for the defeat.  Carroll was a disgrace that game but Bellamy and Henderson were the only two people to put in a shift.

Then we beat Newcastle at home 2-1 (or 3-1) I forget and he had a blinder, everybody wanked Gerrard's 15 minute cameo off and didn't mention him.  Everybody use to get at him for backing out of challenges, Gerrard has done it about 15 times this season and it has barely been mentioned.

He's been unfairly criticised since the moment he walked through the door.

• Upvote 1

Then we beat Newcastle at home 2-1 (or 3-1) I forget and he had a blinder, everybody wanked Gerrard's 15 minute cameo off and didn't mention him.  Everybody use to get at him for backing out of challenges, Gerrard has done it about 15 times this season and it has barely been mentioned.

He's been unfairly criticised since the moment he walked through the door.

Gerrard is arguably the best player we've ever had, so comparing Henderson in any way against him isn't going to do him or yourself any favours.

For every challenge that he supposedly backed out, I can name five match winning goals he scored for us.

Gerrard is arguably the best player we've ever had, so comparing Henderson in any way against him isn't going to do him or yourself any favours.

For every challenge that he supposedly backed out, I can name five match winning goals he scored for us.

Give us a shout when you've woken up from the past lad.  May as well draft in John Barnes to solve our winger issues then with that logic, he's done well for us in the past.

I'm talking the here and now, Gerrard was a brilliant player for us (and still is useful) but if you're telling me he hasn't been backing out of tackles this season a lot more than usual you're lying to yourself. 

The fact he's FINALLY England captain and will get to fulfill his dream of leading his country out in a world cup, should he stay injury free wouldn't have anything to do with it either I guess.

I didn't really want to turn this into anything other than a Henderson discussion, Henderson was getting unfair stick and now he's getting the praise he deserves - pretty simple really.