You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers praises Henderson

Guest LFD

I tell you all who's good at the moment; Aaron Ramsey. Maybe a discussion on him and whether he compares to Henderson would be interesting. Can't recall that being done before.

Luckily we have another thread for people to do that on.

I disagree a little bit. Price is dependent on who we bought from and how prominent a player they were. I think Lucas is harder to replace than Henderson. I really don't see it with Henderson. People always cite his 'athleticism' by which they mean he runs a lot, I need more than that from a midfielder in his position.

He does more than just run though, his overall contribution is usually very good these days.  Hence the England recall. 

He does more than just run though, his overall contribution is usually very good these days.  Hence the England recall. 

C'mon now, man, you can't be citing England caps as proof of quality, the Hodge is running that ship. That said, I don't see why jabroni's like Cleverley have been in there and Henderson isn't. Me personally, I don't see the stuff in Henderson that others do but I'm big enough to say that my love for Joe Allen and the irritating hyperbole that people give to Henderson possibly colours my view. I don't fundamentally dislike him nor do I believe that he isn't worthy of a place in the squad, I just find that he's not influencing games enough.

• Upvote 1

but I'm big enough to say that my love for Joe Allen

and if Henderson was Welsh and Allen was English, you would probably have a different opinion because you can't be judging performances to love Allen and not Henderson.

C'mon now, man, you can't be citing England caps as proof of quality, the Hodge is running that ship. That said, I don't see why jabroni's like Cleverley have been in there and Henderson isn't. Me personally, I don't see the stuff in Henderson that others do but I'm big enough to say that my love for Joe Allen and the irritating hyperbole that people give to Henderson possibly colours my view. I don't fundamentally dislike him nor do I believe that he isn't worthy of a place in the squad, I just find that he's not influencing games enough.

Why not, do you not rate international football much? I've never understand the argument that you can't use it at least as evidence of quality.  For the record I think Hodgson has done an excellent job and full credit to him.  Winning the group is all you can ask for.

I'd say Henderson is increasingly imposing himself on games and it will take a very good player to displace him.  Maybe Joe Allen will but I doubt it.  I don't think Rodgers will mess with his Lucas/Gerrard/Henderson midfield as it's serving him very well.  We might see some competition arrive in January, I suppose.  

and if Henderson was Welsh and Allen was English, you would probably have a different opinion because you can't be judging performances to love Allen and not Henderson.

Of all I've posted in this thread, it's that one sentence that you jump on. I think that about sums you up. The second part of that doesn't even make sense. 

The merits of Allen and what I like about him aren't relevant, nor is his nationality. I think I have been very fair and at least I can admit the possible bias in my argument. You, on the other hand, aren't seemingly blessed with that self awareness, which is why you're ridiculed for your unflinching, unsmiling defence of Henderson. You count the mistakes of Johnson and Agger on one hand whilst decrying anyone who dares criticise Enrique and Skrtel.

Admit you play favourites, admit you're biased and stop pretending that you're mister sit on the fence. 

Why not, do you not rate international football much? I've never understand the argument that you can't use it at least as evidence of quality.  For the record I think Hodgson has done an excellent job and full credit to him.  Winning the group is all you can ask for.

I'd say Henderson is increasingly imposing himself on games and it will take a very good player to displace him.  Maybe Joe Allen will but I doubt it.  I don't think Rodgers will mess with his Lucas/Gerrard/Henderson midfield as it's serving him very well.  We might see some competition arrive in January, I suppose.  

I don't think the England squad is a measure of quality but he deserves to be in it. I wouldn't be using it in my argument but if you want to then that's cool. 

Allen's not playing because the current trio are doing the job Rodgers wants, and that's absolutely how it should be. I wouldn't have it any other way. The man in possession of the shirt should need it torn from them. Rodgers is an astute man-manager.

If i was Rodgers I'd teach Henderson what to do when he gets near the box by putting him in goal in training and have jimmy case run onto balls and fire a load of shots at him full force. He'd never fear anything else on a football pitch again. They do say what dos'nt kill you makes you stronger.

Of all I've posted in this thread, it's that one sentence that you jump on. I think that about sums you up. The second part of that doesn't even make sense. 

The merits of Allen and what I like about him aren't relevant, nor is his nationality. I think I have been very fair and at least I can admit the possible bias in my argument. You, on the other hand, aren't seemingly blessed with that self awareness, which is why you're ridiculed for your unflinching, unsmiling defence of Henderson. You count the mistakes of Johnson and Agger on one hand whilst decrying anyone who dares criticise Enrique and Skrtel.

Admit you play favourites, admit you're biased and stop pretending that you're mister sit on the fence. 

Yes I think you are biased towards Welsh players.  

Yes I think Henderson is a better player than Allen.

I'm not biased, I want what is best for LFC.  If I thought Allen was better than Henderson, I would say so.  I don't care which player is better as long as we are successful - what an odd thing to say.  We all have our favourites, who we rate over others, but we all want what is best for Wales... sorry I mean Liverpool.

I judge what I see.

• Downvote 1

If i was Rodgers I'd teach Henderson what to do when he gets near the box by putting him in goal in training and have jimmy case run onto balls and fire a load of shots at him full force. He'd never fear anything else on a football pitch again. They do say what dos'nt kill you makes you stronger.

And there's the flaw in your argument Gnasher, Casey's shots could very well snap Hendo in half.

Yes I think you are biased towards Welsh players.  

Yes I think Henderson is a better player than Allen.

I'm not biased, I want what is best for LFC.  If I thought Allen was better than Henderson, I would say so.  I don't care which player is better as long as we are successful - what an odd thing to say.  We all have our favourites, who we rate over others, but we all want what is best for Wales... sorry I mean Liverpool.

The thing in bold, I think we're done here. Don't push the Welsh thing, son. The whole "I am sorry I mocked the Welsh, was only a joke and I won't do it again" stuff you PM'd me should be the end of that, and if you're word's meaningless then fine, I'll deal with it.  The last word on this is yours.

Don't push the Welsh thing, son. The whole "I am sorry I mocked the Welsh, was only a joke and I won't do it again" stuff you PM'd me should be the end of that

Haha!

You should have accepted my apology then and apologised for what you did.

• Downvote 1

I don't hate Allen, he seems a nice guy and good pro.  

Just think he's very much fourth choice in the pecking order and probably isn't good enough, based on what we have seen.  He's got till the end of the season to prove me wrong.  If not, I will probably be calling for him to be sold in the summer, but we'll see how he gets on until then.

I'd pick Souness as well and many other players over Henderson.

Not sure why people think I feel Henderson is great, I have never said that.  He's a good player and one who is getting better all the time and he usually makes us a better team when he plays.

I think you're being a bit unfair on Allen there, saying he has till the end of the season before being sold. Henderson's played fifty odd more games than Allen, he joined a year before. By keeping faith in him we are starting to see rewards, just as wenger is being proved right by keeping faith in Ramsey. Allen deserves the same shot.

I'd be amazed if Rodgers sold Allen, considering how highly he rates him.

http://talksport.com/sports-news/football/premier-league/130804/joe-allen-can-be-key-liverpool-believes-brendan-rodgers-203018

What a scoop!

No scoop, just the truth.

Not fair people saying he's worse than Ramsey and knocking him.  Apart from Suarez every player in the league would not compare to Ramsey based on what we have seen so far this season.

Henderson deserves a thread where we talk about him, what he does well and where he needs to improve.  Rodgers seems to becoming more of a fan of his.

I think you're being a bit unfair on Allen there, saying he has till the end of the season before being sold. Henderson's played fifty odd more games than Allen, he joined a year before. By keeping faith in him we are starting to see rewards, just as wenger is being proved right by keeping faith in Ramsey. Allen deserves the same shot.

I'd be amazed if Rodgers sold Allen, considering how highly he rates him

I don't think he'll sell Allen, I'm saying I hope he does if he doesn't improve when used.

As I said,let's see what he does until the end of the season.

Rodgers might rate him highly, but I guess he did about Sahin, Borini, Aspas... doesn't mean he gets everything right.

Allen is a decent player, I just feel we need better than decent.  Although I think this thread should be about Henderson, not Allen.

I don't think he'll sell Allen, I'm saying I hope he does if he doesn't improve when used.

As I said,let's see what he does until the end of the season.

Rodgers might rate him highly, but I guess he did about Sahin, Borini, Aspas... doesn't mean he gets everything right.

Allen is a decent player, I just feel we need better than decent.  Although I think this thread should be about Henderson, not Allen.

But your contradicting yourself, on the one hand you've asked for Henderson to be given time ( as young players should) and then hoping another young player be sold after an injury hit season.

I think you're misjudging Rodgers if you don't think he places Allen above Borini and Aspas. Sahin he never seemed that keen on.

Allens always been Rodgers blue eyed boy from his time at Swansea. He won't be sold and imo he'll prove himself a very good player.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/339066/Brendan-Rodgers-Joe-Allen-key-to-change-in-Liverpool-fortune