You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Netflix

VladimirIlyich

Guest Pistonbroke
55 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You’re looking at £150-£200 p/m to have all of these...

Sky/Virgin

BT Sports

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Britbox

New Disney & Apple streaming services

And they wonder why there’s a rise in illegal streaming. 

Fucking hell. I pay €22.49 for Sky Sports (Going to get shit loads of PL games) Netflix (2 log ins) and the basic Sky package which includes a load of channels/on-line series. I pay €69 for Amazon prime which works out about €5.75 a month. For the missus we have normal HD/digital TV which is included with the Internet 4000 download/40 upload, flat for telephone and all our mobiles, pay about €70 euros a month if we don't have to use premium numbers. It works out at about €98 a month for the lot.............and I still whinge about that! 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Britbox would be boss if had extensive BBC and ITV back catalogues, but I bet it doesn’t.

They have a 7 day free trial (stingy bastards, most have a month) so you can have a snoop about and work out if it is worth it. 

• 1 month later...

This Apple TV Plus looks a bit shit for the amount they’re spending on it. They cancelled some crime show with Richard Gere the other day because it was too gritty and they want their shows to be ‘aspirational’.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/10/20850996/apple-tv-plus-launch-lineup-shows-originals-see-morning-show-for-all-mankind-oprah-dickinson

Apple TV Plus will launch with nine originals on November 1st, including Jason Momoa’s apocalyptic sci-fi series See and the Jennifer Aniston-led The Morning Show. TV Plus will launch on November 1st for $4.99 per month. This monthly cost includes family access, and you’ll even get a whole year free of Apple TV Plus if you buy a new iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

The Morning Show and See are joined by For All Mankind, Dickinson, Helpsters, Snoopy in Space, Ghostwriter, The Elephant Queen, and a new project from Oprah Winfrey. Here’s a quick rundown of what these various series and original projects are, from a new Snoopy story to being part of Oprah’s book club.

Apple wants TV Plus to be a spot for prestige TV. It’s why The Morning Show and See, which saw Apple spend more than $15 million per episode on each, are receiving so much attention.

• The Morning Show is a series about the politics of a morning show TV and stars Aniston alongside Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carell.
  • See is a story about a group of humans trying to survive in a world where humans have lost sight.
  • For All Mankind is a new series from Battlestar Galactica executive producer Ronald D. Moore, and imagines an alternate reality where the global space race never ended.
  • Dickinson is a dramatic period piece about the poet Emily Dickinson, played by Hailee Stanfield.
  • The Elephant Queen is a documentary exploring the threat of elephant extinction.

It’s not just adult-oriented content, though. Apple wants TV Plus to be family ready from the get-go, and that’s clear from its launch titles.

• Helpsters is a new series from the creators of Sesame Street and will follow “Cody and a team of vibrant monsters who love to help solve problems,” according to Apple.
  • Snoopy in Space is exactly what it sounds like — a new series from Peanuts Worldwide and DHX Media that follows Charlie Brown’s lovable dog as he follows his dreams of becoming an astronaut.
  • Ghostwriter is a reinvention of the original series, and finds four kids teaming up to release fictional characters from their books.

Last, but certainly not least, Oprah will join Apple TV Plus with a series that features “compelling authors in conversation as [Oprah] builds a vibrant, global book club community and other projects to connect with people around the world and share meaningful ways to create positive change,” according to Apple.

Most TV Plus’ series will premiere with three episodes, with one new episode rolling out each week. Full seasons of some series, however, will be available all at once. The company also announced that there will be new series announced every month, but it’s unclear when those will drop.

Some of the next series include ServantTruth Be Told, and Little America. Two feature films, Hala and The Banker, will also be released in the coming months.

The company’s commitment to original content is well-documented. Apple increased its content budget from around $1 billion to more than $6 billionaccording to Bloomberg. It’s a figure that took Netflix years to reach once it started investing in original content, and is approximately 25 percent of Disney’s overall content budget. Apple wants its services division to reach $50 billion in sales by 2020, and investing in original content that drives monthly subscriptions is one way to do that.

Apple — even more than Netflix, Disney, and other competitors like AT&T’s WarnerMedia or Comcast’s NBC Universal — needs to invest pretty heavily in original content from the get-go. The company hasn’t announced plans to invest in licensed content, like Amazon has done in the past, nor does it have the library of beloved titles like Disney+ or even WarnerMedia’s HBO Max to keep people satiated while new series are developed. If Apple wants to keep subscribers, and build its base, devoting a large amount of funds to original content upfront is imperative.

• 7 months later...
44 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Is TOTP on Britbox? If so, how much content is there, and have they edited Jimmy Nonceface out of it?

I wouldn't have thought so, I think it's just for actual series rather than 'current events' shows. In all honesty, any current music show must be considered current events.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Is TOTP on Britbox? If so, how much content is there, and have they edited Jimmy Nonceface out of it?

Hi Tony, welcome to the internets. There is a search engine known as google, I know, funny name. It has replaced ask Jeeves as the biggest search engine. Google (LOL  (not little old lady)) says there is no top of the pops but try iPlayer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

Hi Tony, welcome to the internets. There is a search engine known as google, I know, funny name. It has replaced ask Jeeves as the biggest search engine. Google (LOL  (not little old lady)) says there is no top of the pops but try iPlayer.

Jeeves was a whopper. I was a Dogpile man. 

• 1 year later...

I’ve just started a free trial of Britbox. I must say, at first glance, the content appears to be fucking shite. There’s no sign of classics such as The Sweeney, The Professionals or The Saint, let alone anything remotely obscure. The fact it only has selected episodes of Coronation Street is, quite frankly, a kick in the bollocks. I’d like to say I am mildly irritated but I’m absolutely fucking fuming.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elite said:

It's a complete waste of money.

Mate, I’m getting angrier by the minute. I was looking forward to eating my tea whilst watching an episode or two of Busman’s Holiday. Is it on there? Is it fuck! I haven’t a paid a penny, given that it’s a free trial, but I still feel ripped off.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Mate, I’m getting angrier by the minute. I was looking forward to eating my tea whilst watching an episode or two of Busman’s Holiday. Is it on there? Is it fuck! I haven’t a paid a penny, given that it’s a free trial, but I still feel ripped off.

Educate yourself on Kodi, Tony. It’s not difficult mate. You pick it up quickly and you’ll be glad you did. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve just started a free trial of Britbox. I must say, at first glance, the content appears to be fucking shite. There’s no sign of classics such as The Sweeney, The Professionals or The Saint, let alone anything remotely obscure. The fact it only has selected episodes of Coronation Street is, quite frankly, a kick in the bollocks. I’d like to say I am mildly irritated but I’m absolutely fucking fuming.

No Big Top?

To be fair, when Britbox first got launched I said it would last about a year as nobody is going to pay to watch reruns of programmes that were mostly rubbish first time around.