You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Netflix

VladimirIlyich

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

The best thing about Netflix is I get to listen to an album or two while my missus flicks through all the utter dross on there looking for something to watch.

It's very much like throwing a hand full of rice at a dartboard.

• Upvote 1

I have prime but it's shite, the last thing I watched was Simon's film. Netflix is OK, I think others binge more than I do. Like with f**tball, I just see greed causing a fracturing of shows you can find in one place and multiple subscriptions required. Not sure what the answer is though as Amazon and Netflix are hardly known for their philanthropy. 

• Upvote 1

Amazon prime stuff is really good quality but they don’t produce enough of it at the minute. Bosch, Sneaky Pete, Patriot, Goliath, Man in the high castle and Jack Ryan are all really good. I enjoyed Red Oaks and The Tick too. Hanna is out soon and that looks decent. 

They've got some boss sounding stuff coming out this year with some big actors as well as all the Lord of the rings shows in the future. The Boys in particular should be great if they stick to the comics. 

The following are all due out this year and sound ace, looks like they’re going for quality over quantity with Netflix being a bit more the other way around. 

Carnival Row. 

Carnival Row will follow "mythical creatures who have fled their war-torn homeland and gathered in the city as tensions are simmering between citizens and the growing immigrant population. At the center of the drama is the investigation into a string of unsolved murders, which are eating away at whatever uneasy peace still exists." Stars Orlando Bloom. 

Too old to die young. 

Too Old to Die Young follows "a grieving police officer who, along with the man who shot his partner, finds himself in an underworld filled with working-class hit men, Yakuza soldiers, cartel assassins sent from Mexico, Russian mafia captains and gangs of teen killers."

The Boys

The Boys takes place in "a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame" and "revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty." Stars Karl Urban. 

Cortes

Cortes follows "the legendary conqueror, Hernan Cortes, who led a rebellious expedition to the heart of King Montezuma II’s Aztec empire, connecting two civilizations for the first time and changing the course of history." Stars Javier Bardem.

The Feed. 

The Feed takes place in London in the near future and follows "the British family of Lawrence Hatfield, the man who invented an omnipresent technology called The Feed. Implanted into nearly everyone’s brain, The Feed enables people to share information, emotions and memories instantly. But when things start to go wrong and users become murderous, the family is driven apart as they struggle to control the monster they have unleashed."

The Hunt. 

The Hunt follows "a diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City. The Hunters, as they’re known, have discovered that hundreds of high ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the U.S. The eclectic team of Hunters will set out on a bloody quest to bring the Nazis to justice and thwart their new genocidal plans." Stars Al Pacino. 

Tong Wars. 

Tong Wars follows "the journey of Vicky Sun from a slave girl in turn-of-the-century Chinatown to the richest woman in 1970s San Francisco, a gangster saga that resonates within the complex narrative of the Chinese-American experience."

The series is set in late nineteenth-century San Francisco, and focuses on the gang warsthat took place between tongs – criminal organizations among the city's Chinese immigrants – in the Chinatown neighbourhood. The series is set to span from 1905 to 1971.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sounds interesting, in my opinion. Depends on how extensive the back catalogue of BBC and ITV is, though. Be shite if it’s just relatively recent stuff. 

I’d like to see

Grange Hill - complete boxset

Brookside and Eastenders - 80s and 90s complete boxsets

Classic 70s and 80s kids televion programmes - far too many to mention

Takes of the Unexpected 

Minder boxset

The Sweeney boxet

The Monicled Mutineer

The Lakes

Our Friends in the North

And loads, loads more.

Wouldnt mind seeing the 70' Corrie and Emmerdale too, and Brookside when Barry comes back as a gangster.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Netflix has better non English speaking stuff than English speaking stuff. Broaden your horizons. And anything that is just British stuff is going to be almost all shite. The new stuff is shite and the old stuff (the actual good stuff) has been shown so much you are bored of it,except Tony Moanero.

Good is subjective. I’ve never really been an avid watcher of television (can go weeks without really watching any), so there’s loads of old stuff that I’ve never seen. There’s loads of old stuff that never gets show anymore, too.

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Good is subjective. I’ve never really been an avid watcher of television (can go weeks without really watching any), so there’s loads of old stuff that I’ve never seen. There’s loads of old stuff that never gets show anymore, too.

Its usually shown somewhere Tony,and my missus watches the worst of it!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its usually shown somewhere Tony,and my missus watches the worst of it!

I’ve never looked, Vlad, so I’ll take your word for it. I only have freeview and a bog standard fire stick. I’m a bit of a technophobe and don’t really understand the other stuff. If there’s something uncomplicated that I could just lash on my fire stick without having to fart about, that would give me access to classic British television and isn’t go to buffer every 5 minutes, I’d probably give it a go.

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve never looked, Vlad, so I’ll take your word for it. I only have freeview and a bog standard fire stick. I’m a bit of a technophobe and don’t really understand the other stuff. If there’s something uncomplicated that I could just lash on my fire stick without having to fart about, that would give me access to classic British television and isn’t go to buffer every 5 minutes, I’d probably give it a go.

Kodi is probably best for that stuff mate.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

£5.99 a month for BritBox. It’s going to bomb this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-much-will-britbox-cost-nv528sg02

BBC and ITV on‑demand service BritBox to cost £5.99 a month

BBC and ITV’s new subscription on-demand service will cost the same as Netflix when it launches later this year, it was announced today.

BritBox’s £5.99-a-month pricing is on a par with Netflix’s basic plan, although the US platform also offers £8.99 and £11.99 packages for HD and multiscreen viewing.

The pricing strategy is potentially risky given that Britbox will struggle — initially at least — to match Netflix’s vast archive of TV and film programming, which currently stretches to 32,600 hours.

BritBox executives hope that British viewers are willing to pay to stream British-made content.

It will feature classic BBC series including Gavin & StaceyLes Miserables and The Office, as well as popular ITV shows such as BroadchurchVictoria and Benidorm.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

BBC and ITV’s new subscription on-demand service will cost the same as Netflix when it launches later this year, it was announced today.

BritBox’s £5.99-a-month pricing is on a par with Netflix’s basic plan, although the US platform also offers £8.99 and £11.99 packages for HD and multiscreen viewing.

The pricing strategy is potentially risky given that Britbox will struggle — initially at least — to match Netflix’s vast archive of TV and film programming, which currently stretches to 32,600 hours.

BritBox executives hope that British viewers are willing to pay to stream British-made content.

It will feature classic BBC series including Gavin & StaceyLes Miserables and The Office, as well as popular ITV shows such as BroadchurchVictoria and Benidorm.

Pretty sure that Love Island's going to be on there. 

That's Stig sorted. 

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Licence fee PLUS £5.99 a month to stream the shit that people have already paid for with a licence fee? So it's kind of like paying for the same shit three times?

Fuck off, BritBox. Go back to the ShitBox.