You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats the best thing about Brendan Rodgers?

Code

The most wonderful thing about Brendan is :

He's the only one.

Scrap the "on our way to glory" malarkey, this should be his song.

The wonderful thing about Brendan,

and Brendan's a wonderful thing

His teeth are made out of diamonds

his coats are made out of bling

He writes and bites of course he fights

he's fun fun fun fun fun

But the most wonderful thing about Brendan is

he's the only one!

• Upvote 3

Many things impress me about him. In no particular order of importance:

1. His focus on attacking, attractive football.

2. His understanding that mentality and hunger are crucial in the players you sign.

3. The fact that he picks on form rather than reputation or who his favourites are.

4. The fact that he's pragmatic: if something isn't working, he changes it.

5. The fact that he exudes calm in an exceptionally high pressure job.

6. The fact that he handles the players well - especially Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard.

7. His backing of young players.

8. His tactical originality.

9. The fact that he seems to learn from his mistakes: Groundhog Day this isn't.

10. His media persona: he keeps the press onside and doesn't cause any controversy that could throw extra pressure on the players.

Question marks remain in terms of how far we can go as a club, but I think he's got all the skills needed to manage Liverpool. Experience, the ability to recruit top players and luck are all that separate him from the best right now.

I hear he has a weakness for sweet ass.

Joking apart, due to the combination of his shiny new teeth, his trim new physique and the fact that his missus isn't exactly at home in the looks stakes with the WAGS at Liverpool, I keep expecting a Sunday tabloid exposé of his "love rat" ways.

The next best thing for me is that is willing to change things he gets wrong in the first place.

Now we could discuss why he got it wrong in the first place, but even if it sometimes feels like it takes him too long to change things around he has the ability to change is ways.

We in the trade call this "learning" and when you take a top football job in your 30s without the benefit of a team full of world class players, it will be more obvious to others than if you're Kenny Dalglish or Pep Guardiola taking on your first job.

Many things impress me about him. In no particular order of importance:

1. His focus on attacking, attractive football.

2. His understanding that mentality and hunger are crucial in the players you sign.

3. The fact that he picks on form rather than reputation or who his favourites are.

4. The fact that he's pragmatic: if something isn't working, he changes it.

5. The fact that he exudes calm in an exceptionally high pressure job.

6. The fact that he handles the players well - especially Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard.

7. His backing of young players.

8. His tactical originality.

9. The fact that he seems to learn from his mistakes: Groundhog Day this isn't.

10. His media persona: he keeps the press onside and doesn't cause any controversy that could throw extra pressure on the players.

Question marks remain in terms of how far we can go as a club, but I think he's got all the skills needed to manage Liverpool. Experience, the ability to recruit top players and luck are all that separate him from the best right now.

Good list Paul, agree with nearly all of it.

Not sure about number 3.  

For example Sakho got man of the match on the voting thread on here vs Arsenal and has not done much wrong since he arrived.  Yet he got dropped for Agger vs Fulham.  It is not like Agger has started this season well, giving the penalty away vs Stoke and at fault for the goal vs Southampton.  That for me is picking his favourite.

I also think he seems reluctant to drop or even sub Gerrard (unless we are crusing in a game like we were against Fulham).   I can see why he wants to play Gerrard, as I agree with him he is still capable of brilliant performances.  But if he is having a poor game, like he was against Arsenal, where he was really poor and not putting in 100% effort at times, he should be subbed.

I also think last season he picked Allen over Henderson at times, picking his favourite over the form of Henderson.  The Man U away match was when that happened, when Henderson played the game before against Sunderland and we won 3-0.  Yet Allen was picked ahead of him vs United and I'm not sure why - it was because of form.  

I think mostly he picks on form, but there are a few cases where he is picking his favourites. 

Good list Paul, agree with nearly all of it.

Not sure about number 3.

For example Sakho got man of the match on the voting thread on here vs Arsenal and has not done much wrong since he arrived. Yet he got dropped for Agger vs Fulham. It is not like Agger has started this season well, giving the penalty away vs Stoke and at fault for the goal vs Southampton. That for me is picking his favourite.

I also think he seems reluctant to drop or even sub Gerrard (unless we are crusing in a game like we were against Fulham). I can see why he wants to play Gerrard, as I agree with him he is still capable of brilliant performances. But if he is having a poor game, like he was against Arsenal, where he was really poor and not putting in 100% effort at times, he should be subbed.

I also think last season he picked Allen over Henderson at times, picking his favourite over the form of Henderson. The Man U away match was when that happened, when Henderson played the game before against Sunderland and we won 3-0. Yet Allen was picked ahead of him vs United and I'm not sure why - it was because of form.

I think mostly he picks on form, but there are a few cases where he is picking his favourites.

So your gripe is he picked a player that you don't like on two occasions?

• Upvote 1

So your gripe is he picked a player that you don't like on two occasions?

No, as I said Sakho was playing better than Agger - and didn't deserve to be dropped.

Henderson was playing better than Allen and didn't deserve to be dropped.

He seems too scared to sub our captain, when he's having a poor game.

I generally agree he picks on form, but there have been a few occasions when in my opinion he hasn't.  

I like Agger, just think some fans overrate him and he can do no wrong in their eyes.  Not a big fan of Allen, but if he was playing better than Henderson or Gerrard, I'd like to see him get picked a head of them and vice versa.

I'm sticking with his suave portrait.  This will change when he wins something or gets us back in the champions league on a consistent basis.

Code's got a point.  RAWK would have been a Napoli forum this year under our previous manager, now it just reads like a self important retarded Liverpool fans one.

• Upvote 1

We haven't kept a clean sheet when Agger has been out of the team, he comes back and miraculously - clean sheet.

Against Fulham, who are dreadful.  I'm sure we would have kept a clean sheet against them with any of our four centre backs.

I wouldn't want Agger marking Lukaku though.  That's the type of battle he will really struggle with, a physical opponent.

We would have kept a clean sheet vs Southampton as well if it wasn't for Agger.  We would have dropped two points vs Stoke, had Mignolet not saved his Danish bacon.

Fulham at home is the perfect game for Agger (which is sort of why I can see Rodgers played him).  As we'd dominate possession and his ability on the ball would be a real asset.  So if that's why Rodgers selected him, then it is a good choice.  But if he is picking and choosing who to play for certain games, then I would not have Agger over Sakho, Toure or Skrtel against a physical team, such as we have next with Everton and Lukaku, so on that basis he shouldn't play if that's what he is doing.  

No, as I said Sakho was playing better than Agger - and didn't deserve to be dropped.

Henderson was playing better than Allen and didn't deserve to be dropped.

He seems too scared to sub our captain, when he's having a poor game.

I generally agree he picks on form, but there have been a few occasions when in my opinion he hasn't.  

I like Agger, just think some fans overrate him and he can do no wrong in their eyes.  Not a big fan of Allen, but if he was playing better than Henderson or Gerrard, I'd like to see him get picked a head of them and vice versa.

How do you know it was because Agger's one of his 'favourites' that he dropped Sakho. It might be because he doesn't trust Sakho as a centre back in a back four yet, it might be because he thought Agger deserved a chance after showing good attitude and training well or maybe he thought Agger and Sakho couldn't play together and he thought Agger deserved another chance in the 1st team which meant Sakho was just the unlucky person to make way. There's plenty of sensible reasons for the change, not just favouritism.

As for dropping Henderson for the Man Utd game, that did seem harsh but maybe he wanted to try and keep the ball more and thought Allen was more suited to doing that? And there's no point subbing Gerrard if you've not got anyone capable of winning a game like he is on the bench. If we brought Allen or Henderson on for Gerrard and we were drawing at home, even if he was playing poorly, people would be righly questioning the decision if it didn't work out. Plus Gerrard going off and Allen/Henderson/Alberto coming on would give the opposition a massive confidence boost.

How do you know it was because Agger's one of his 'favourites' that he dropped Sakho. It might be because he doesn't trust Sakho as a centre back in a back four yet, it might be because he thought Agger deserved a chance after showing good attitude and training well or maybe he thought Agger and Sakho couldn't play together and he thought Agger deserved another chance in the 1st team which meant Sakho was just the unlucky person to make way. There's plenty of sensible reasons for the change, not just favouritism.

As for dropping Henderson for the Man Utd game, that did seem harsh but maybe he wanted to try and keep the ball more and thought Allen was more suited to doing that? And there's no point subbing Gerrard if you've not got anyone capable of winning a game like he is on the bench. If we brought Allen or Henderson on for Gerrard and we were drawing at home, even if he was playing poorly, people would be righly questioning the decision if it didn't work out. Plus Gerrard going off and Allen/Henderson/Alberto coming on would give the opposition a massive confidence boost.

Don't talk sense

• Upvote 1

I've said why about Agger / Sakho.  Agger doesn't deserve a chance if others are playing better than him and he is making too many mistakes when playing.  I can see why he played vs Fulham, as I state above.  But if he plays over Sakho or Toure vs Everton, then Rodgers is picking his favourite and not on form or the right players to deal with Lukaku.

Well he certainly got it wrong vs United away last season, by picking Allen over Henderson and not starting Sturridge.  But luckily he learns quickly and now Henderson seems to have leap frogged Allen in the pecking order or at least he has the shirt and deserves to keep it.

I think the fans want Rodgers to make the best decisions for what is best for the team.  If Gerrard is playing poorly (and my example was away at Arsenal, not at home when we are drawing) - then sub him for someone else.  Especially when we lacked energy in centre midfield and someone like Allen could offer that.  He can't be scared to sub Gerrard if he is playing poorly.

I've said why about Agger / Sakho.  Agger doesn't deserve a chance if others are playing better than him and he is making too many mistakes when playing.  I can see why he played vs Fulham, as I state above.  But if he plays over Sakho or Toure vs Everton, then Rodgers is picking his favourite and not on form or the right players to deal with Lukaku.

Well he certainly got it wrong vs United away last season, by picking Allen over Henderson and not starting Sturridge.  But luckily he learns quickly and now Henderson seems to have leap frogged Allen in the pecking order or at least he has the shirt and deserves to keep it.

I think the fans want Rodgers to make the best decisions for what is best for the team.  If Gerrard is playing poorly (and my example was away at Arsenal, not at home when we are drawing) - then sub him for someone else.  Especially when we lacked energy in centre midfield and someone like Allen could offer that.  He can't be scared to sub Gerrard if he is playing poorly.

Agger hadn't played since Southampton, you can't hold one mistake against someone for the rest of the season. We have to accept that we have 4 very good centre backs in the squad and if anyone isn't on top form we will see players being dropped and replaced. Sakho may have won the man of the match on here for his performance against Arsenal but that doesn't mean he deserved to keep his place, it just means he was less embarrassing than the rest of the team.

It may seem unfair that Sakho was dropped and people like Gerrard, Lucas, Cissokho etc weren't but we just don't have the depth in other positions that we have at centre back. Its probably the only position that we've got title winning depth in. I'm sure Rodgers would love to have 4 quality centre mids to rotate like our centre backs but unfortunately we don't have that so its a case of doing the best we can with the players we have until the next transfer window or two.

Agger hadn't played since Southampton, you can't hold one mistake against someone for the rest of the season. We have to accept that we have 4 very good centre backs in the squad and if anyone isn't on top form we will see players being dropped and replaced. Sakho may have won the man of the match on here for his performance against Arsenal but that doesn't mean he deserved to keep his place, it just means he was less embarrassing than the rest of the team.

It may seem unfair that Sakho was dropped and people like Gerrard, Lucas, Cissokho etc weren't but we just don't have the depth in other positions that we have at centre back. Its probably the only position that we've got title winning depth in. I'm sure Rodgers would love to have 4 quality centre mids to rotate like our centre backs but unfortunately we don't have that so its a case of doing the best we can with the players we have until the next transfer window or two.

It was two mistakes in four games (he made numerous last season as well).  I agree you can't always hold that against him, but Sakho did nothing wrong to get dropped, actually he has our best player vs Arsenal and was getting better each game.  We've got four good centre halfs and this season Skrtel, toure and Sakho have all made less mistakes than Agger, yet he is now back in the team - that for me is picking his favourites over form, that's my point!