You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

how much do you drink?

littletedwest

A good mate of mine found himself spending 9 days in hospital recently after coming off the drink after a prolonged period of overdoing it, Took a seizure and could barely walk, even when he came out.

Fuck that. I'll stay on it then thanks for the tip

Hope he is ok

• Upvote 2

It's great to see you all take an interest in the scales I posted earlier. Whilst the scores are a good indication of dependency there does need to be some information around it. I do think it helps to start the conversation about it.

For those who have score high and may be wondering whether they are drinking too much a good starting point is to introduce 'drink free' days and go from there. It's better to work small than shock your routine. And if your consumption is more binge-drinking consider spreading it out over a couple of days.

11 at the moment, 36 back in my prime.

I do love a pint like, but don’t think I abused it that bad back in my 20’s.

Example back in the day I answered monthly for the drink in the morning, I never needed it, but on occasion did chuck a pint down first thing as I’d been hammered and slept through to opening and was out the on a Leo Sayer, i didn’t need the pint to function but had it anyway and it got me going. But would never have done that on a work day or if I’d woke up earlier

Obviously it still wasn’t healthy like and it could have led to alcoholism, but the test is probably simplistic

12/40 but if I'm honest I'd have been in the 30s years ago.

Lost loads of relationships cos of drink. Being an ex barman didn't help. Shit load of drugs wkth the dribnk. I ain't going into detail but I consider myself lucky to be alive. Met an amazing girl who told me to cop on and because I didn't want to lose her, I did.

I can drink fairly sensibly now but if the missus isn't with me I'll drink like the old days and suffer with anxiety and depression for days afterwards.

I'm currently enjoying a glass of Malbec as I type. Ultimate hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

It's great to see you all take an interest in the scales I posted earlier. Whilst the scores are a good indication of dependency there does need to be some information around it. I do think it helps to start the conversation about it.

For those who have score high and may be wondering whether they are drinking too much a good starting point is to introduce 'drink free' days and go from there. It's better to work small than shock your routine. And if your consumption is more binge-drinking consider spreading it out over a couple of days.

Oh I binge over a good few days don't you worry about that.

You might want to check the scales.

42/40 doesn’t work.

I knew I had a serious problem when I would nip over the shop for some wine and started asking for a miniature whisky to neck before I got back in so no one saw. Fucking ridiculous once it takes hold. I have always been a weekend binger but rarely got drunk at home for nothing. Nowadays I dread an evening in without a drink. Went 4 days without a drink last week and the sweats in bed were horrible. Had to wash my sheets everyday. Spent a couple of days away hiking north Wales this weekend and it helped cleanse my mind a bit. I've started playing tennis a bit and trying to be more active. Wish I had FG'S willpower.

You CANNOT be serious.

• Upvote 1

Go

Stig, perhaps a fairly achievable target might be to stop drinking on your own. Never understood why people like to get drunk on their Todd. Then maybe cut out spirits. Little easily achievable targets one after another

Good advice.

But the crucial thing in that post was ‘never understand’

You guys who can drink normally never will understand.

I cannot understand why someone would take heroin. They do and I will never get it until I do it.

Drinking you cannot escape from its everywhere. FFS you cannot even fill up your car without it being in your face when you pay.

It is an addictive drug like the rest of them.

Stig, perhaps a fairly achievable target might be to stop drinking on your own. Never understood why people like to get drunk on their Todd. Then maybe cut out spirits. Little easily achievable targets one after another

If I drink on my own then more often than not it's because it enhances the music I play. Might sound weird but I don't love much more than chilling out with some wine and decent music on. Alone.

As for myself, 10/40 — at risk. Used to drink a lot more and regularly though. The test answer options didn't really fit so perhaps I might have scored higher.

Think there is a show at the moment from Adrian Chiles about how he was drinking too much without realising as he wasn't getting leathered or causing problems.

Your supposed to have something that equates to about 6 pints a week. Seems pretty low doesn't it?

Sorry Anny and Stig, didn't mean to sound judgemental. Everyone gets something different out of drinking and I'm sure people would raise eyebrows at some of my past exploits.

Interesting point about listening to music while hammered. I've mentioned my mates sobriety blog before and he has been listing endless benefits to quitting the drink but freely admits music is much better drunk. Have to say gigs are loads better when off your face and I do enjoy watching f**tball when plastered

As for myself, 10/40 — at risk. Used to drink a lot more and regularly though. The test answer options didn't really fit so perhaps I might have scored higher.

Think there is a show at the moment from Adrian Chiles about how he was drinking too much without realising as he wasn't getting leathered or causing problems.

Your supposed to have something that equates to about 6 pints a week. Seems pretty low doesn't it?

In my peak drinking I never hurt anyone. Except family emotionally. That is not a measure of the problems it causes.

Fair play to Chile’s. I’m not a fan but he is being honest. Most of the people I know are alcoholic but don’t realise it.

Sorry Anny and Stig, didn't mean to sound judgemental. Everyone gets something different out of drinking and I'm sure people would raise eyebrows at some of my past exploits.

Interesting point about listening to music while hammered. I've mentioned my mates sobriety blog before and he has been listing endless benefits to quitting the drink but freely admits music is much better drunk. Have to say gigs are loads better when off your face and I do enjoy watching f**tball when plastered

It’s fine mate, all debate.

When I quit I suddenly started appreciating music again. Really appreciating it. Not just listening pissed.

It’s like most great games of FB. I remember the highlights because I was bladdered during the game.