You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your first and last live gig

Lee909

Does anyone of a certain age growing up in Liverpool remember Phil Jones?  No, not the lumbering alien gurning felchlord from along the canal, but the almost famous flute playing pop star who wrote some great songs, could be alternately funny, charismatic and a bit of a knob, but could fill places like the Royal Court without getting a sniff of success outside town?  Used to go and watch him a lot in my youth.  

Here's one of his tunes:

Gil Scott-Heron and JJ Cale. I think you might win.

I reckon anyone who was going to gigs in the late 60s/early 70s wins, lucky bastards.

Led Zeppelin supported The Who once in '69, imagine that, 'Who you going to see tonight, mate?', 'Led Zeppelin and The Who.', 'Probably go and see Miles Davis supporting Santana next week.'.

• Upvote 1

My 1st gig was Gerry And The Pacemakers, somewheee in Liverpool. It was 1963. I was 5 yrs old - me Mam took me and me Bro, so it may not count.

If not, then it was as a 14 yr old. Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars. Manchester 1972.

During 'Rock N' Roll Suicide' with the late great Mick Ronson hammering away on his black Les Paul, Bowie sang to me and everyone else "gimme your hands - you're not alone!!!"

"gimme your hands!!!"

That was me then sold me soul to the devil down at the crossroads. Never been normal since.

My last gig was Bill Bailey. Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington NZ. August (from memory) 2014.

Hats off to the zebras !!

I was at that Bowie gig too. Great show.

I reckon anyone who was going to gigs in the late 60s/early 70s wins, lucky bastards.

Led Zeppelin supported The Who once in '69, imagine that, 'Who you going to see tonight, mate?', 'Led Zeppelin and The Who.', 'Probably go and see Miles Davis supporting Santana next week.'.

Agreed. What an absolutely phenomenal era for music.

• Upvote 1

The 80s would be boss. Going out to Paradise Garage in NY, dancing to strange disco tunes, drinking punch laced with acid.

First: The Boo Radleys (supported by Electrafixion) at the Royal Court, 5 October 1995*

Last: ABC at the Philharmonic Hall, 4 November 2015.

* NB: This should actually have been my second gig, as it was originally scheduled for the 19th but brought forward for some reason, meaning that Pulp (who I saw at the Royal Court on the 14th) became No. 2.

• 2 weeks later...