You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Red of the Day - Layton Maxwell

tlw content

by Dave Usher

St Asaph born Maxwell enjoyed a dream first team debut for the Reds when he scored at the Kop end against Hull City in the Worthington Cup in September 1999. 

Picking the ball up on the left, he cut across the penalty area, leaving two defenders trailing in his wake, before firing home an unstoppable shot into the far corner of the net.

He was man of the match that night, turning in a mightily impressive performance on the left wing.  He didn't feature again in the first team that season but he was one of the Reserves' most consistent performers as they romped away with the Premier Reserve League title, forming an impressive midfield partnership with fellow youngster AlanNavarro.

He joined Stockport County on loan for the '00/01 season, and scored on his debut for them too.  At the end of that season his contract with the Reds was not renewed and he left the club under the Bosman ruling to join Stockport on a permanent deal before eventually moving on to Cardiff a year later.

He failed to make an impression there however and over the next decade he played at more Welsh clubs than a young Shirley Bassey.

Date of Birth: 03/10/1979

Nationality: Welsh

Postition: Midfield 

Games: 1

Goals: 1

ClubHons (Lpool): None

Int Hons: Wales u21 caps

Other Clubs: Stockport County, Cardiff City, Barry Town (loan), Swansea City, Rhyl, Newport County, Mansfield Town, Carmarthen Town, Bangor City, Caernarfon Town, ENTO Aberaman Athletic, Maesteg Park, Barry Town, Pontypridd Town

maxwell_layton_profile.jpg
Layton MAXWELL 1999-2001

Click here to view the article

Watched him regularly in the reserves, he was a good player, very busy and tidy on the ball.

Not surprised he didn't make it here, but it was surprising he didn't really make it at a better level than he did. Same goes for Jon Newby, by the time he left us he'd developed into a really good player, he was a lethal finisher and hardly ever seemed to miss.

He always seemed to get good reports in the Echo reserve coverage too, I always thought that sounded like a good little side, Newby and Armstrong used to bang them in for fun, Partridge and Warnock were being raved about too. Highway used to rave about Foley too didn't he? Yet nothing became of any of them here.

He always seemed to get good reports in the Echo reserve coverage too, I always thought that sounded like a good little side, Newby and Armstrong used to bang them in for fun, Partridge and Warnock were being raved about too. Highway used to rave about Foley too didn't he? Yet nothing became of any of them here.

Michael Foley was class, I couldn't believe no-one took him on when he left us as that lad could play. I saw Heighway at a ressies game a couple of years later and I asked him why no-one signed Foley. He said he could only assume it was because people were put off by his size.

• Upvote 1

Michael Foley was class, I couldn't believe no-one took him on when he left us as that lad could play. I saw Heighway at a ressies game a couple of years later and I asked him why no-one signed Foley. He said he could only assume it was because people were put off by his size.

Didn't have much of a career did he. Shame like as he was a god little player.

2002–2004 Liverpool 0 (0) 2004–2007 St Patrick's Athletic 58 (2) 2008 Waterford United 27 (4) 2009 Drogheda United 1 (0) 2009 Longford Town 10 (0)

• 7 years later...

Fuck. Shame this, I always thought he looked a prospect, if not for us then somewhere else.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/former-liverpool-fc-player-facing-20541244

A former Liverpool FC footballer became a drug dealer working as part of a £6m cocaine gang after his career on the pitch ended.

Midfielder Layton Maxwell, 41, is now facing jail for his drug dealing crimes.

Maxwell had a promising start to his career, coming up the ranks alongside Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

Scoring against Hull City in front of the Kop in a League Cup second round victory, the Wales Under-21s international thought he'd made it. However, it would prove to be his only appearance for the Reds.

• 1 year later...

I know three of them very well. One was a close mate of mine a while ago. Maxwell used to coach my local football team, i didn't know him very well, ive taken in a couple of Liverpools games with him at the clubhouse of the local football team and he always came across a decent and 

pleasant fella so i was taken by suprise when i heard he was associating with some of those other lads. Its a shame.