You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

HS2

Sugar Ape

3 of my last 4 journeys between Huyton and Manchester over the last 2 days have been delayed, I spent 5 hours commuting 60 fucking miles yesterday! I'm cold I'm tired and I'm pissed off!

Therefore they can stick their rich man's white elephant up their arse sideways! It wouldn't be so bad if they started the northern bits first, but oh no, London has to get it first!

It's a waste of money, and I'd genuinely like the north to declare independence.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

They were never cancelling it. Too many back handers and tory donors getting rich off it. 

Think it's also part of Johnson's attempt to spin the illusion that the UK is in good health. See the ridiculous Scotland- N Ireland bridge for another example. 

11 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

3 of my last 4 journeys between Huyton and Manchester over the last 2 days have been delayed, I spent 5 hours commuting 60 fucking miles yesterday! I'm cold I'm tired and I'm pissed off!

Therefore they can stick their rich man's white elephant up their arse sideways! It wouldn't be so bad if they started the northern bits first, but oh no, London has to get it first!

It's a waste of money, and I'd genuinely like the north to declare independence.

Doesn’t it increase capacity across the network?  That’s the selling point, not 20 mins off the journey to London. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesn’t it increase capacity across the network?  That’s the selling point, not 20 mins off the journey to London. 

That's the spin their putting on it, remains to be seen. If they were going to do it they should have started were capacity needs increasing the most, i.e. oop north!

It also flies in the face of the keep the union strong bollocks, how much are Wales and Scotland going to benefit from it when it doesn't go anywhere near their borders?

High Speed Rail is great if you've got the basic rail infrastructure right already, we haven't!

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

They are already talking about needing to cut cost in part 2, so its gaurenteed that the cost cuts will only fuck the North. Its not like the 40mins train from Watford to Birmingham is a killer. 

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Covid has increased costs by £1.6 billion at least. I think it’s a big old fashioned Keynesian job/wealth creation scheme in disguise. 

The HS2 money could have gone to fund better rail and road links in the north and there'd still be plenty of change left.

It’s a shit idea. It was never a great idea but now, as work patterns are changing, technology is improving and essential services are creaking, it’s a complete waste of money and should certainly not be a priority. 

Regular public transport systems, particularly in the north, should be.

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

Too late now. Johnson sees it as part of his legacy as a pm. The vaccine, HS2 and Brexit. Apparently he will be gone within a couple of years to “make money and have fun” so these 3 things are what he is focussed on. 

And two of them are ill thought out, badly positioned and economically damaging shit (at least in the short term, whatever way you swung).

Par for his course I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Well he’ll be gone within a year of the next election latest apparently. He needs the cash from the lecture circuit. 

I wonder what he’ll lecture on? I assume the following are off his radar!

Family values 

Crisis management 

Authentic Leadership

Critical thinking

Ethics

Planning and Organising 

Social responsibility 

Personal grooming

How not to be a cunt