You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

When was the last time we actually took advantage of our competitors bad results earlier in the day?

I've never seen us win a game when the closest team to us had dropped points.

We where absolutely terrible today. Gerrard may as well have gotten himself a sofa and parked it in the centre circle for the amount of running he did. Rubbish today all round we where.

• Upvote 1

Henderson had no chance to show his attacking side as he was too busy covering Gerrard and Lucas who were totally anonymous in midfield. No where to be seen.

Henderson had the option of bursting through as the gunners backed off him. He bottled it big style and thats not the first time he has done that in an LFC shirt. 

• Upvote 2

Come on guys, we lost to Arsenal away. Not so unusual.

Personally, I think we should have played with Coutinho and attacked more from the start, but I can understand Brendan's caution.

A reason for optimism is that we looked so much better with Coutinho on, and Glen should be back next week.

When is Enrique coming back?

Hmmm. I thought we brought our own downfall about. No one went with carluka or whatever he's called so he has a free shot when the ball comes back off the post. Toure holds of a challenge on ramsey as the ball bounces in front of him (ramsey).

I thought we were laboured today. Why? I dont know. We gave the ball away for fun. Sturridge worked his socks off.

A bad day at the office. I would have taken a draw before kick off mind.

I thought their midfield were just quicker all evening. They outplayed us in that area. I agree that I'd have taken a draw as well.

Henderson had the option of bursting through as the gunners backed off him. He bottled it big style and thats not the first time he has done that in an LFC shirt. 

I think he got a nose bleed and couldn't believe the time and space he had, especially so early in the match. Near the end, Luis should have either scored or set up Sturridge.

When we are facing half decent opposition we need more energy than what Gerrard and Lucas can provide. They are fine against fodder but against top side they just aren't in the game.

Very True and box to box midfield player who can sore is a big need for the next transfer window.

he could be though only if he develops a little bit of composure which is a big ask but it can happen. ramsay was pretty ordinary for a while. arsenal fans wanted him out last year

Ramsey has a brain and can control a football, pass and shoot it. Henderson, aside from a purple patch last season hasn't really shown he can do that. He's been fucking shite this season.

Let's get a grip eh we weren't fantastic but we were up against the league leaders a team that is better than us...games like this won't decide 4th place and that is what we are playing for in reality ( and we aren't favourites for that).

It's bouncing back and giving Fulham a hiding next week that will show the mettle of the side. The good thing was they never rolled over when the Arse went two up and with bit more composure could have given them a nervous last five minutes. The best team won but as I said they are a better side and their midfield is probably the best in the league.

Agree what people are saying though the 3 at the back needs to binned.

he could be though only if he develops a little bit of composure which is a big ask but it can happen. ramsay was pretty ordinary for a while. arsenal fans wanted him out last year

Good points there. Ramsey is miles ahead of Henderson. Not that Henderson is a bad player, he had one chance though and bottled it, Ramsey had one and buried it.

Good management by wenger keeping faith in Ramsey against criticism from his own fans, will our fans be patient with joe allen? Doubtful, some on this thread saying he should be sold and he's not even playing. This game imo would've suited Allen.

Jordan failing to track his man resulted in the goal but the formation was wrong, it did play to our strengths when we had Enrique and Johnson available but it doesnt work without them, it was clear after 25 mins that was the case, and 352 rarely works against one striker as two centre backs are wasted and you're always outnumbered elsewhere. Rodgers messed up.

Last season vs Arsenal in their back yard he did the same thing and scored.

Well he was never in a month of Sundays going to score from that sort of position today  and he had another golden opportunity today and again bottled it a shot over the bar by a mile. He is a water carrier squad player at best. Lacks all the ingredients infrount of goal a quality midfield player requires.

Jordan failing to track his man resulted in the goal but the formation was wrong, it did play to our strengths when we had Enrique and Johnson available but it doesnt work without them, it was clear after 25 mins that was the case, and 352 rarely works against one striker as two centre backs are wasted and you're always outnumbered elsewhere. Rodgers messed up.

Completely agree and when Arsenal outnumber you in midfield they make the extra numbers out. 5 midfielders vs 3 midfielders and two of our midfielders legs are going.

To be fair to Rodgers we've been using 3 at the back for weeks so was reluctant to change it.

Well he was never in a month of Sundays going to score from that sort of position today  and he had another golden opportunity today and again bottled it a shot over the bar by a mile. He is a water carrier squad player at best. Lacks all the ingredients infrount of goal a quality midfield player requires.

I thought Lucas was the best of the midfield so I don't know what that says about Lucas' and Gerrard's performance.

Completely agree and when Arsenal outnumber you in midfield they make the extra numbers out. 5 midfielders vs 3 midfielders and two of our midfielders legs are going.

To be fair to Rodgers we've been using 3 at the back for weeks so was reluctant to change it.

Yeah but he should have seen after 25 minutes it wasnt working we played better in the 2nd half mind, it seems its more about shoehorning as many centre backs on the pitch as possible, its daft but a direct result of our oddball transfer business in the summer.

Let's not be overly negative here, this was one of the few games that we would have taken a loss before the season started.

Arsenal have started better than us this season, and we were traveling to the Emirates. No shame in losing tonight that's for sure.

Agree that we don't need to be overly negative but it is important that we are at least realistic. The lack of quality in Hendersons game was cruelly exposed today - it has been disguised by his work rate and reliance on the quality of the players around him. If anyone has any doubts ask yourself if he would have made the Arsenal team today? I don't reckon he would even have got a place on their bench. 

Not sure about Lucas either, he does a good job breaking up play ahead of the back four but then does nothing ambitious with the ball. It is always sideways, backwards or at best five yards forward. For a Brazilian international I want to see a lot more for my money.

Cissokho is not good enough - return to sender.