You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not sure where to put this, on here or on the MF. I'm not an ITK, and I rarely ever get told what's going on behind the scenes, but I've got information from a friend. I'm reluctant to share on here, because forums can be really dodgy places for this sort of thing. You get branded as an ITK and all hell breaks loose. I'll put it on here, but I'm just passing on what I heard. Don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work out. Anyway, the gossip around Melwood is this...

All week Rodgers has been walking around like a bear with a sore head. Nobody can talk to the guy, and the brief few minutes any players gets to talk to him they're snapped at and told he doesn't have time at the moment. Anyway, it turns out that he has been having meetings for most of the week, sometimes for hours on end, with either both or one of Suarez and/or Sturridge present. Gerrard has been a bit miffed by it apparently; as club Captain he wanted to know what the meetings were about and if he should be in on them. It caused quite a bit of a storm throughout the squad. Rodgers hadn't been taking training or anything, just handing it off to Pascoe and the fitness guys.

Anyway, after a strained week, it comes to lunchtime today and the plans for Arsenal are ripped up. Total change of plans on what they'd been working on all week. Pascoe told the players they'd all been wasting their time through the week, and tried his best to keep everything quiet. The captain demanded that Rodgers explain what was going on, and half the players were fucked right off. Rightly so, after training so hard all week.

20 minutes later, they were all getting ready to fuck off home as Rodgers wouldn't come out of his office. He'd locked the door and wasn't answering the phone. Just as the players were about to leave, Sturridge and Suarez left Rodgers' office, staggered back into the back onto the training pitch, they could barely hold back the tears. They were both visually distraught. When asked about it, they said they couldn't say what happened until the manager got there. Two minutes later, Rodgers bursts out of the office with a beaming smile on his face and said 'It's a'right boys, I've been giving these lads a practical demonstrations all week on how to cunt Arsenal in the bastard'. 

Game on.

One thing I feel has been left out of the discussion before this game is the fact Arsenal are going to play Dortmund on Wednesday and if they lose that one they are most likely suddenly 3rd in their CL group and it migth be very difficult to go through.

How much focus will they have on that game, will they rest players etc?

Arsenal FC 3 2 0 1 5-3 6p

Borussia Dortmund 3 2 0 1 6-3 6p

SSC Napoli 3 2 0 1 4-4 6p

Olympique de Marseille 3 0 0 3 2-7 0p

Remember Arsenal have Napoli away in their last game of the group stage.

We are good enough to go to the emirates and win buts its all about our players belief. If we can get at them early and not let them dictate the flow of the game we have a good chance. If Suarez and Sturridge are on song they can give the Arsenal defense an horrid time.

One thing I feel has been left out of the discussion before this game is the fact Arsenal are going to play Dortmund on Wednesday and if they lose that one they are most likely suddenly 3rd in their CL group and it migth be very difficult to go through.

How much focus will they have on that game, will they rest players etc?

Arsenal FC 3 2 0 1 5-3 6p

Borussia Dortmund 3 2 0 1 6-3 6p

SSC Napoli 3 2 0 1 4-4 6p

Olympique de Marseille 3 0 0 3 2-7 0p

Remember Arsenal have Napoli away in their last game of the group stage.

They are going well, but spurs are the only team of note that they have beat so far and that was early on. If they want to be seen as title contenders then they will want to make a mark against us.

I think they will treat this game the same as Dortmund. Their first big test this season was against Dortmund, so eyes are on them now to see if they are contenders or not.

No Wilshere (if true) and no Flamini makes that midfield look a bit lacking in bite. I'd back Lucas, Hendo and Gerrard in any 50/50 with Ramsey, Arteta et al.

As much as i'd like to think Wenger will have one eye on the Dortmund game, it's hard to see him making any decisions that may risk today's outcome. Two home defeats on the trot and the kind of run that, if unhalted, could totally undermine confidence.

You take any sort of supposed bonus, but these sort of 'big games' have a way of making names of emergency stop gaps and new recruits. Unless you're Glen Keeley, of course.

Expect them to be at their best, so we must play at our best - you'd like to think we'd have a chance of a result with that mentality.

• Upvote 1

I hope that Rodgers goes for the same starting 11 as last weekend. We need Henderson's energy in this one. If we defend well and don't concede a goal early in the game I'm confident that Suarez and Sturridge will get us goals. Arsenal is excellent in attack but can be woeful in defense. Hopefully we're top of the table after todays match.