You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Agger quells rumours but Rodgers has tough decision (ESPN article)

tlw content

by Dave Usher for ESPN

It was pleasing to see Daniel Agger come out so emphatically on Tuesday to deny the inevitable speculation that had started to rage about his future. When a player of the undoubted quality of the Dane finds himself on the substitute’s bench for any length of time, there is always going to be talk of him being unsettled and of other clubs being ready to make a move.

Barcelona's need for a top class centre-back and long standing interest in the 28-year-old, combined with Agger's lack of playing time meant this was a story that was always ready to explode at any moment. And when the player himself is quoted in the Danish media as saying: "If I don't play football, then I don't want to be here anymore," the stories that follow are completely understandable.

However, Agger was clearly frustrated at how his words had been interpreted and took to his twitter account to put Liverpool fans' minds at ease:

Quotes can often mean very little without context and this is a good example of that. Agger actually said: "If I don't play, and if the manager doesn't think I am good enough, that could make me leave Liverpool. I'm here to play football, nothing else. So if I don't play football, then I don't want to be here anymore."

There are a lot of 'ifs' in that, and in fairness to the Dane he was responding directly to a question about what would make him leave. In that context, there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary about what he said. Show me a player that would want to stay if he wasn't playing and his manager didn't think he was good enough. Gold stars to those of you pointing to Heurelho Gomes and Winston Bogarde, but those are the exceptions that prove the rule. Most players would be off in those circumstances.

Read the full article here.

It's all a storm in a tea-cup. Skrtel has put some good performances together and Agger was injured, this set the thing in motion, not Agger being over-looked.

In fact, I think Skrtel is still more likely to leave than Agger.

There will come a time when one of the back three has to be rested, picks up a knock, gets suspended, or someone makes a bad mistake. Rodgers will then shake the tree and Agger will then come in and get a run of games.

But the biggest aspect of all this is that I'm not scared about losing Agger or Skrtel anymore because Rodgers has proven that he can spot a defender. When we were in the midst of a Coates/Krgyiakos/Wilson/Kelly conundrum, I feared losing a senior centre back because we just seemed to be totally ill-prepared for it. Illori also looks, to me, like he could come in and be class.

• Downvote 1

If we get a big offer for Agger in the summer, I'd sell him.

Good player, not a great one.  Not the best fitness-wise, he's made far too many mistakes since Rodgers has been here, can be bullied by big strikers and his marking at set pieces should be better.

If he wants to stay and fight for his place, then great.  But he is rightly not in the team at the moment and he has a battle to get back in, with the other three playing very well.

He's the sort of player the club should look to keep hold of.  He hasn't been in the best of form recently but he's undoubtedly a top draw player.  He's also loyal and Rodgers made him vice captain for a reason.  When his stock was at its highest and Man City came knocking he got YNWA tattooed on his knuckles.  That says it all for me.  It's something you can't necessarily buy and you want that sort of thing rubbing off on the younger players.

We've got 4 centre halves that could get in most first choice 11's in the league.  It's a great position to be in.  We should be looking at having every position like that and not worrying about making a few quid of selling them.

by Dave Usher for ESPN

It was pleasing to see Daniel Agger come out so emphatically on Tuesday to deny the inevitable speculation that had started to rage about his future. When a player of the undoubted quality of the Dane finds himself on the substitute’s bench for any length of time, there is always going to be talk of him being unsettled and of other clubs being ready to make a move.

Barcelona's need for a top class centre-back and long standing interest in the 28-year-old, combined with Agger's lack of playing time meant this was a story that was always ready to explode at any moment. And when the player himself is quoted in the Danish media as saying: "If I don't play football, then I don't want to be here anymore," the stories that follow are completely understandable.

However, Agger was clearly frustrated at how his words had been interpreted and took to his twitter account to put Liverpool fans' minds at ease:

Please stop all the tweets about me leaving! I'm not going anywhere! Will be back in the team soon:) Y.N.W.A

— Daniel Agger (@DanielAgger) October 29, 2013

Quotes can often mean very little without context and this is a good example of that. Agger actually said: "If I don't play, and if the manager doesn't think I am good enough, that could make me leave Liverpool. I'm here to play football, nothing else. So if I don't play football, then I don't want to be here anymore."

There are a lot of 'ifs' in that, and in fairness to the Dane he was responding directly to a question about what would make him leave. In that context, there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary about what he said. Show me a player that would want to stay if he wasn't playing and his manager didn't think he was good enough. Gold stars to those of you pointing to Heurelho Gomes and Winston Bogarde, but those are the exceptions that prove the rule. Most players would be off in those circumstances.

Read the full article here.

Agger is overrated defensively here as a fuck. Best footballer out of the 4 CBs, but as a pure defender he is the worst.

I have read and watched compilation of12 goals we conceded, that wee purely Aggers fault..with 8 of tem in 2 consecutive months (mid January - mid March). But somehow his big howlers are forgotten in in couple of days and Skrtels small slips are wxxegerated and analyzed for months.

Prime example is the Soton goal...Skrtel misjudged te ball that went for a throw in 40yards from goal,,,then Agger makes a schoolboy defending of Lovren, and we conceded....

Couple of weeks went by and people talk still about Skrtels mistake, which could happen to anyone....But nobody speaks about Aggers awful "shadowing", that is made by him for years.

In other words, Agger profites when he is not playing, at least in the eyes of the fans.

• Upvote 1