You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

Don't think it matters if a kids reading a graphic novel,war and peace or the beano so long as they are reading something.

I agree to an extent, but personally I find it really hard to stay committed to and concentrate on books these days and I fear that’s only going to get worse with mobiles etc reducing people’s attention span.

So I like to read my daughter longer books with chapters (wizard of oz recently, Roald Dahl books previous and worst witch at present) so even though we’re only going one chapter a night or a couple of chapters on a Saturday afternoon, she’s already getting into the habit of staying with a story and recalling what has happened so far.

She’s in reception so only reading short stuff herself but she loves reading and loves pictures being part of the books, but as she gets older of all she was ever reading was comics I’d want to do something about it.

Having the ability to pick something lengthy up and read it all the way through without losing concentration and comprehension is invaluable to her later in life, whether in education, work or just for pleasure and I don’t think comics will give her that.

Better a comic than a shitty celeb magazine though.

• Upvote 1

I take it you're referring to Maus. Thats a whole discussion which I'm not going to have here.

Its a matter of opinion, and there's nothing you can say which is going to make me view Watchmen (for example) in the same light as Lord of the Rings (for example). A book is a book, a comic (or graphic novel) is what it is.

For the purposes of World Book Day, for me its not going to fly.

I'm being a little facetious (and defensive) as I do, genuinely, take your point. 10-15 years ago there would have been a lot fewer superhero costumed kids on World Book Day, the popularity of the films and their ubiquity in popular culture are certainly responsible for the increase, as opposed to an increase in comic [book] reading.

Don't think it matters if a kids reading a graphic novel,war and peace or the beano so long as they are reading something.

My lad reads a few kids books but he's just got into reading the Beano annuals we've bought him every year since he was born. It's a family tradition since I was a lad when I was obsessed with Beano and Dandy. I've taught English in the past and can hand on heart say that comics really help young people understand the basic grasp of the written word.

I'm being a little facetious (and defensive) as I do, genuinely, take your point. 10-15 years ago there would have been a lot fewer superhero costumed kids on World Book Day, the popularity of the films and their ubiquity in popular culture are certainly responsible for the increase, as opposed to an increase in comic [book] reading.

Aye fair play to you mate. I'm no hater of comics and graphic novels, it was more about some parents just treating WBD as another fancy dress day and putting no thought into it. Reading for kids is just something I feel passionately about.

TV journalists ( usually on sporting events ) who seem totally oblivious to the lack of English spoken by their interviewees and blather ridiculously convoluted questions at them. Have noticed them before mainly on football coverage but this has been prompted by a ridiculous interview with an East European 400m runner after his race at the World indoors. He quite clearly barely had any English , but instead of helping him the interviewers question was about a minute long going on about 'The atmosphere '.

I am feel. I am very feel.
  • Upvote 2

My lad reads a few kids books but he's just got into reading the Beano annuals we've bought him every year since he was born. It's a family tradition since I was a lad when I was obsessed with Beano and Dandy. I've taught English in the past and can hand on heart say that comics really help young people understand the basic grasp of the written word.

I used to love annuals. I'd wait until after Christmas and buy them in the sales so I could get as many as possible. Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper, Buster, Roy of the Royers, Topical Times, etc. Remember being ill once and my Dad bringing home a Bananaman one.

This week a project manager told me I'm a "..difficult man to get hold of" because I hadn't responded immediately to an email or two phone messages he'd left in one morning. I have a deadline coming up, and a lot of building to design by then, so I'd decided to take a day completely off from emails to crack on; I asked our secretary to take phone messages for me and let me know if any where in need of an urgent response. This guy told our secretary it was 'fairly urgent' so she came to find me. Hey, guess what?! It was absolutely, completely not urgent in the slightest.

My resistance against email and everyone expecting me to respond to their "urgent" needs immediately is building. I'm limiting my time looking at emails, have no notifications on any device and I'm trying to prioritise face-to-face or telephone calls over email. This makes me elusive, apparently.

Ah well, at least I might actually get to enjoy my job designing buildings rather than just being an administrator!

Mother's Day, the day when loads of idiots log in to their social media accounts to wish their dead Mum happy mother's day.

She's dead, she's not on Twitter you attention seeking twat.

Agree. I don't want to discredit someone's grief as losing someone you love is horrible but for me it's a very private thing that shouldn't be stuck on Facebook for a few likes or "You ok Hun?"

Mother's Day, the day when loads of idiots log in to their social media accounts to wish their dead Mum happy mother's day.

She's dead, she's not on Twitter you attention seeking twat.

Not a bloody peep from either of mine and I’m still alive the last time I checked.

Ungrateful wretches

• Upvote 1

Not a bloody peep from either of mine and I’m still alive the last time I checked.

Ungrateful wretches

It's just a posthumous thing now, Champ.

In all seriousness, that's outrageous, even my Mum got a card & I'm shocking for remembering stuff like mother's day.

• Upvote 1

World book day. Where kids get to dress up as their favourite film characters.

My daughter went as Rapunzel, but we had about 3 Rapunzel books of varying difficulty as bed time stories long before she saw the movie. Otherwise I agree with you. A related moan would be the Halloween custom of dressing up like fuck all to do with Halloween.

Dog Snobs. Just flipped Crufts on and you know the type, posh cunts obsessed with having a perfect dog. I've met a few in the past who've had dogs involved at Crufts and they think they are some superior being. I love all dogs, not just based on them being a perfect breed that some cunt obsesses about showing off.

Ungrateful wretches

So, shortly after typing that I came downstairs to find a card and chocolates on the kitchen table from my daughter followed a few minutes later with a card and Champagne from his nibs.

Which was nice. I wouldn't have minded if they'd just found their way to tidying the kitchen before I got home from work but there you go.

Ungrateful wretch

• Upvote 2

Dog Snobs. Just flipped Crufts on and you know the type, posh cunts obsessed with having a perfect dog. I've met a few in the past who've had dogs involved at Crufts and they think they are some superior being. I love all dogs, not just based on them being a perfect breed that some cunt obsesses about showing off.

Saw a car sticker once on the back windshield of an estate. ‘Caution show dogs in transit’ Nearly crashed into it deliberately.

People or groups of colleagues that stand in the sandwich isle in a shop for FUCKING AGES taking up all the space whilst trying to decide what kind of shit sandwich to have.

Indecisive Cocks. Just pick a fuckin’ sandwich.

Everyone else has perform some matrix type moves each lunchtime just getting past them all just to grab something.

• Upvote 1

People or groups of colleagues that stand in the sandwich isle in a shop for FUCKING AGES taking up all the space whilst trying to decide what kind of shit sandwich to have.

Indecisive Cocks. Just pick a fuckin’ sandwich.

Everyone else has perform some matrix type moves each lunchtime just getting past them all just to grab something.

Top Tip: Take Anny Road with you at all times.