You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

To be fair, the reason I don't use it is when I see what even people I like a lot put on there I feel the dislike swelling instantly.

The other half often shows me something on hers about some mate of mine or other, no matter how much I ask her not to, and when she does I'll see something she's put on there and momentarily feel some loathing for the whole thing. I actually love her, so god knows what I'd be like if I was forever seeing random associates showing off their latest bakery triumph or kid's swimming badge.

If we ever have kids and anything about them goes on there which matches what she shows and tells me of other people, many of whom I like a lot in real life, we could well go nuclear.

It's just the thing itself, kept in total moderation and used with modesty as a tool to stay in touch it will be fine, but no way can many, many people resist it's tendency to make showing off the norm. It's relentlessly vacuous. The way it has, through being a vessel for photographs of someone's life which others can look at and admire, turned every moment of life into a photo opportunity.

That's some insidious shit, and I've never understood people who grandly tell you that you shouldn't have an opinion on it if haven't used it, when it has so profoundly altered social behaviour to the extent you can't have a night out without many good people taking your picture while you're drinking a pint or eating a bowl of pasta.

I realise I'm hopelessly out of step with the times like, and a right miserable bastard, but I just find it all a right turn-off, as Don would say.

• Upvote 3

They're hooked. Even if they can smell the bullshit in others, this is their reality. It's part of the not being equipped thing, they don't have any interests. The reaction when you mention reading, politics, history, anything of depth really, anything that requires more than a few seconds of attention, is often to laugh. They're trapped in cunt world where the only option is to be a cunt. 

• Upvote 3

To be fair, the reason I don't use it is when I see what even people I like a lot put on there I feel the dislike swelling instantly.

The other half often shows me something on hers about some mate of mine or other, no matter how much I ask her not to, and when she does I'll see something she's put on there and momentarily feel some loathing for the whole thing. I actually love her, so god knows what I'd be like if I was forever seeing random associates showing off their latest bakery triumph or kid's swimming badge.

If we ever have kids and anything about them goes on there which matches what she shows and tells me of other people, many of whom I like a lot in real life, we could well go nuclear.

It's just the thing itself, kept in total moderation and used with modesty as a tool to stay in touch it will be fine, but no way can many, many people resist it's tendency to make showing off the norm. It's relentlessly vacuous. The way it has, through being a vessel for photographs of someone's life which others can look at and admire, turned every moment of life into a photo opportunity.

That's some insidious shit, and I've never understood people who grandly tell you that you shouldn't have an opinion on it if haven't used it, when it has so profoundly altered social behaviour to the extent you can't have a night out without many good people taking your picture while you're drinking a pint or eating a bowl of pasta.

I realise I'm hopelessly out of step with the times like, and a right miserable bastard, but I just find it all a right turn-off, as Don would say.

Yeah, I use it. Couple of hundred friends on there, rather than the 4 million some people seem to have. Two thirds of them are blocked so that I don't see their inane shit on my news feed. I don't dislike these people, I block them because I don't want to dislike them. 

But I've got mates in Italy, and others strung out all over the country, and I don't want to lose contact with them.

Could be an incredible tool for significant progressive change in the world. Sadly, and predictably, it isn't.

• Upvote 1

They're hooked. Even if they can smell the bullshit in others, this is their reality. It's part of the not being equipped thing, they don't have any interests. The reaction when you mention reading, politics, history, anything of depth really, anything that requires more than a few seconds of attention, is often to laugh. They're trapped in cunt world where the only option is to be a cunt. 

Spot on, the coping mechanism of any retard is a shit joke, an awkward laugh or a bit of innuendo. Put most on the spot and it is a shake of the head

I have complained about this before, the death of conversation, people just don't have the skills to have a basic conversation beyond a few soundbites.  I hate discussing holidays with people as it boils down to;

Weather

Women (are they fit?) and how they rank to other countries

Price of ale (A pound a pint is the promised land for most dickheads I know)

How lovely the people were

You might get a line about the food being nice, and the local delicacy but that will be summed up as 'meat' or 'spicy'.

• Upvote 1

I think if you really went to town on some of these people they'd fucking crumble. They'd be forced to have a good look at themselves, and at society at large. Both of which would very much be a good thing, in a consciousness awakening "What in the fuck are we doing, and putting up with" way, but it would probably be quite a hard sell as they were blubbing to you about liking Pottery but not wanting to tell their mates.

Yep, no conversations because they've got nothing to say. I know a lad who basically only goes on holiday to get a tan. Doesn't try any local food. Never speaks a single word of the language of the country he went to, partly because he doesn't even attempt to speak to any of the locals. Learns absolutely nothing about the culture, history, etc of the country. Wastes the enormous opportunity he has that the vast majority of people in the world could only dream about.

Sadly the more "civilised" a country becomes seemingly the less civilised a country becomes.

• Upvote 1

Got yet another email today inviting everyone to a charity bake sale and coffee morning. We seem to have one of these every week, at least one a fortnight. If it's not bake sales it's people wanting sponsorship for running/cycling/swimathons etc or people sending emails to everyone with their justgiving link.

I already give a couple of hundred pounds (yea, get me) to charity each year to causes that are close to my heart and I refuse to sponsor people at work as there are just too many people wanting money. Now of course giving money to charity is a good thing, but I hate people forcing their own fundraising things on to others, especially at work. There's just too much of it and it's like people can't just give money to charity quietly and because they think it's a good thing to do, everyone has to make a song and dance about it (and that's not just a figure of speech) and make sure everyone can see them with their massive fundraising efforts.

There was a bake sale a few weeks back for the Nepal earthquake but more than half of the cakes that people brought in didn't sell. The sale raised £42 and I reckon all of the cakes and ingredients on their own probably cost more than £50. I'm tired of it all but any excuse for people to look good and be noticed doing something charitable or to pretend they're on the Great British Bake Off and there's no stopping them. And of course, the people baking are all ever so 'passionate' bakers.

Fuck off. How about I sponsor you not to wave your sponsorship form in front of my face for a week?

• Upvote 1

This is going to sound daft but it is when people misuse the term 'mate'

As you know there are different levels of acquaintance, but one thing that annoys me is when people pretend that everyone is their mate.

'I know the fella who owns that cafe, he is my mate' when the truth is that you know him and he is not a friend just somebody you know to say hello to.

As you know there are different levels of acquaintance, but one thing that annoys me is when people pretend that everyone is their mate.

'I know the fella who owns that cafe, he is my mate' when the truth is that you know him and he is not a friend just somebody you know to say hello to.

I know exactly what you mean mate. Winds me up no end.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

As you know there are different levels of acquaintance, but one thing that annoys me is when people pretend that everyone is their mate.

With you on that mate. 

Same in school too. Didnt most of you just amble through school or were you passionate about certain subjects?

I know I wasnt but now kids seem to have to be passionate about their studies, following their dreams or whatever. My kids seem to be pretty much chips off the old block and somehow I wonder if I've let them down in this high octane world we're now all meant to inhabit

I daydreamed my way through secondary (not "high") school and i regret it now. I coulda been a contender...

I see my kids getting an earful off the Mrs for not paying attention and i just think, i can't have a go at them when i was just the same.

I hope they do well, they're more than clever enough, i just worry that, like me, they'll assume you can coast your way through school with little work required and end up in a job they have to do, as opposed to want to do.

• Upvote 1

As you know there are different levels of acquaintance, but one thing that annoys me is when people pretend that everyone is their mate.

Not normally one to go down the male/female generalisation route, but I tend to find this is often a female thing.

My other half will regularly say "there's my little mate", meaning some guy who once said he likes our dog when they passed at the field, or an Asian lass yesterday who apparently smiled at her last week when she waited to let her go first as she was pulling out of the drive.

Noticed her friends doing it a fair bit as well. On the other hand, I assume it's because they're a lot more generally happy and friendly than me and my mates, and their references likely just stand out to me more as they don't all start "There's that fucking bellend who..."

• Upvote 3

Far from it Ben.

I've thought about signing up to faceaids a few times since I've been out here to try and stay in touch with people and keep up to date with stuff back home.

But then I see some of the utter crap on hers and come back round to my original stance of; if its that important it'll be on the news and if they're that important they can bother their arse to email me once a month or to Skype every now and then.

If not, well fuck it.

• Upvote 1

Just rep my posts or I'm going to start posting gym statuses.

*Day one - Didn't go to the gym.

On the subject of gyms I fucking hate the preening tossers that want to walk round the changing rooms bollock naked fucking about with their hair or rubbing in body lotion, Get showered , get dressed and fuck off as quickly as possible you sad bastards 

Just remembered one of the thickest people I've ever met who worked in a team with me a few years ago.

We were in the canteen on the late shift one night and Bin Laden was mentioned on the news. He looked at me with total sincerity and said "Do ya fink dat Ben Lydon bloke IS still hiding in dat cave den, Ben?"

He was spectacularly thick. I remember going off on one about those stupid flat peak snapback caps and how anyone wearing them looks like a fucking pelican, when he piped up with "Oh yeah, I got one a dem. But it's good dough, cos it's Nike Limited Edition innit, £70 and only ever 20 been made in da whole world."

I couldn't even look at him, he was genuinely too stupid to offend.