You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Yep, you just described my missus. She's a 3-3-3-2 person. Deranged. 5-3-3 is the only acceptable format.

I’m with Mrs Stronts on this one. 

People are generally too dumb to remember 5, so you gotta do it in small stages, 3 is optimal for stupids. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dave D said:

Fish and chips served in cardboard boxes.

Whats the world coming to  

Agreed, but much better than those polystyrene/foam trays that leave your food swimming in grease.

There was nothing wrong with a sheet of white paper with a piece of greaseproof all wrapped up in yesterday's Echo. (Which is about all it's fit for these days)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Agreed, but much better than those polystyrene/foam trays that leave your food swimming in grease.

There was nothing wrong with a sheet of white paper with a piece of greaseproof all wrapped up in yesterday's Echo. (Which is about all it's fit for these days)

The  wrapped in paper option doesnt work so well though if you want fish chips & curry

13 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The old couple running my chippy have been doing it for about 30 years- everything is wrapped in paper and its cash only!

Wouldnt have it any other way!      

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Dave D said:

Is getting more expensive but dont get me started on price of chinese these days   

It's not too bad around us, prices have certainly gone up, but not excessively so.

Funnily enough, this was in the Guardian yesterday, most of the comments cite price as a big problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/aug/17/taking-a-battering-what-have-young-people-got-against-fish-and-chips

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's not too bad around us, prices have certainly gone up, but not excessively so.

Funnily enough, this was in the Guardian yesterday, most of the comments cite price as a big problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/aug/17/taking-a-battering-what-have-young-people-got-against-fish-and-chips

Kamal Gandhi doesnt sound like your typical Asian food emporium owner. I demand Vietnamese or Fillipino owning our Chinese chippies. Bloody Brexit!

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

The chippy we used to go to not only put their prices up but started serving much smaller portions.

Fish cut more thinly with too much batter to disguise and far too few chips, more like a child's portion. They even stopped filling the cartons of curry or peas fully.

The last time she went there, Mrs HL, who takes no shit was watching and just before the food was wrapped said "is that it?, where's the rest of it? and when the fella said that was it she told him no it's bloody not, keep it and walked out.

The one we go to now serves proper portions and do decent Chinese meals that are sensibly priced atm.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The chippy we used to go to not only put their prices up but started serving much smaller portions.

Fish cut more thinly with too much batter to disguise and far too few chips, more like a child's portion. They even stopped filling the cartons of curry or peas fully.

The last time she went there, Mrs HL, who takes no shit was watching and just before the food was wrapped said "is that it?, where's the rest of it? and when the fella said that was it she told him no it's bloody not, keep it and walked out.

The one we go to now serves proper portions and do decent Chinese meals that are sensibly priced atm.

To be fair they are right on the edge of Brexit, Ukraine war and Covid-related price rises. Fish, oil and obviously energy prices have all hit them particularly hard.

Parents who share their child’s exam results on Facebook. 

I’m not against being proud of your kids, but for many I think they do it for less positive reasons than that. It’s more about attention for themselves, and getting one over their friends who’s kid only got a D at GCSE woodwork. 

If it’s just pride then fine. If not, it’s a little thing that annoys me. 

I’ll obviously be on the Little Things That Brighten My Day thread to share my eldest son’s results in his Creative Media BTEC when he gets them. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

To be fair they are right on the edge of Brexit, Ukraine war and Covid-related price rises. Fish, oil and obviously energy prices have all hit them particularly hard.

Couldn't agree more mate but some take the piss, especially that one. 

Raise prices or cut portion sizes to compensate by all means, sensible people understand that, but not both.

It's cost him dear in the long run because he's lost a lot of custom apparently. 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m not against being proud of your kids, but for many I think they do it for less positive reasons than that. It’s more about attention for themselves, and getting one over their friends who’s kid only got a D at GCSE woodwork. 

If it’s just pride then fine. If not, it’s a little thing that annoys me. 

I’ll obviously be on the Little Things That Brighten My Day thread to share my eldest son’s results in his Creative Media BTEC when he gets them. 

How times have changed.

My mam went into hiding with my exam results and school reports.

• Upvote 1

The guy that ran the chip shop in our village recently died, he was no age either. His wife tried her best to keep it open but has admitted defeat and will close on Saturday.

I can imagine her husband’s ill health and the challenges running a Chippy these last few years have been beyond testing so I wish her well. 

As a village we will be without a local Fish and Chip shop for the first time in half a century. I’d like to think someone will take it over but it’s such a difficult time so I won’t hold my breath. 

Sad times. 

33 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The guy that ran the chip shop in our village recently died, he was no age either. His wife tried her best to keep it open but has admitted defeat and will close on Saturday.

I can imagine her husband’s ill health and the challenges running a Chippy these last few years have been beyond testing so I wish her well. 

As a village we will be without a local Fish and Chip shop for the first time in half a century. I’d like to think someone will take it over but it’s such a difficult time so I won’t hold my breath. 

Sad times. 

If someone does take over hopefully it will be at least as good as it was.

Whenever we were in Ormskirk we used to go to a chippy called Hales which was just a good old fashioned English chippy.

The fish and chips there were bloody superb and his fishcakes were proper ones with layers of fish and potato rolled in breadcrumbs. 

One of the best things there was their onion sauce, a white sauce chockablock with onions. A tray of chips with salt & vinegar with that on it was worthy of a Michelin star.

It was owned by a really decent fella for decades but he eventually sold up.

It's now called Staffords, a bit more upmarket and while it's still a very good chippy I don't think it's as good.

And they don't do the onion sauce either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I finished my degree this year.

Four people know my grade, and two of them only know by accident. 

Facebook generally just bugs the shit out of me, it seems like it's sole purpose is to rub other peoples face in your life being mint by lying through your teeth and trying to make the inane seem like "living my best life". 

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, Chairman Meow said:

Facebook generally just bugs the shit out of me, it seems like it's sole purpose is to rub other peoples face in your life being mint by lying through your teeth and trying to make the inane seem like "living my best life". 

Congratulations on getting your degree. 

9 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Nice one mate, congratulations.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The problem is that there are only 11 digits and if you do it in threes,which I do,you are left with two numbers at the end and it sounds weird.

Fuck I thought you were saying you were from Norwich then 

It probably shouldn't annoy me really, but i saw that Barbie are releasing dolls with skin conditions, amputees, etc.

The start of the article has one of the 'models' saying how 'It's a major step in the toy industry and in my life. It made me feel proud of who I was'. 

I dont want to sound like Im white, male and abelsist, but come on. Its a doll that girls play with for a bit when they are kids.

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

It probably shouldn't annoy me really, but i saw that Barbie are releasing dolls with skin conditions, amputees, etc.

The start of the article has one of the 'models' saying how 'It's a major step in the toy industry and in my life. It made me feel proud of who I was'. 

I dont want to sound like Im a white, male and abelsist, but come on. Its a doll that girls play with for a bit when they are kids.

The arms usually get ripped off anyway and pretty much every doll Mook has every owned has ended up with a very strong sun-tan.