You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking old girl having a go because the use by date on some meat slices she wanted me to get from Asda the other day is only 2 days ahead. 'Dont you look through the shelves and look for the later date or do you just grab the first packet you see?' she bawls!

Yes, I fucking did look through them all. I picked the ones up dated 16 July, the rest were the fucking 13th!

My arl fella is obsessed with Best Buy dates. He picks a bottle of milk with 10 days on it and moans. I ask - “how long will it take you to finish?” Answer…. a week. Grinds my fucking gears!!

McDonalds drive thru when it’s rammed and the order takers don’t deal with each lane in turn, resulting in cunts three cars behind you getting served first because they picked the inside lane. That could start me on a murderous rampage

31 minutes ago, Le Duan said:

Especially tall or fat bastards or tall and fat bastards who fill more than a seat and squash you in. Fuck Off!!!

Especially when there's a lack of deodorant which is often the case. I'm just hoping the mate has booked time off ok for our trip up early August as i don't think i could handle the train any more. 

How technology is being used to make things more difficult than easy.  Advertised a job in my department.

Good old days - Sift through CV's, highlight key skills and experience, invite in best candidates, interview the next week and offer job.

Now - Wait until deadline passes, ask HR to allow me access to all applicants because reading them as they come in apparently muddies the waters if I find someone early in the process and ignore any later applications, electronically score them between 1-5 for pre-determined example requirements and comment the reason why I've chosen 1-5, submit once all candidates scored, receive report on who are best candidates to interview based on an algorithm from my scoring, decide on date and have to book interview rooms before system will allow me to continue, submit to HR, HR arrange interviews via system which will populate all information based on advert/cost centre/budget holder and requires agreement from budget holder to proceed, wait for budget holder to read email and tick box to say ok to proceed to interview stage, auto generate interview letters.  This can take up to two weeks from the closing date.  Post interview scoring starts again based on verbal answers (remember 1-5 and give your reasons!), algorithm suggests best candidate to offer job to, override it with who you know is better, offer job.

Interview day today.  Four out four candidates didn't attend.  Called them earlier to see why, first two said they turned up and were told there were no interviews being held there today and no contact details on the invitation letter so just had to leave.  Turns out the system booked them into the budget holders office.  My office is 14 miles away.

Got to fucking book them through the same system again now, but already contacted those that want to come back (two told me they're not coming now and I don't blame them) and gave them the address over the phone and my number incase it goes tits up again.

Fuck technology.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

first two said they turned up and were told there were no interviews being held there today and no contact details on the invitation letter so just had to leave.  Turns out the system booked them into the budget holders office.  My office is 14 miles away.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable assessment exercise for MI5/6. 

I’ve failed these two against the competencies of; problem solving, innovation, resilience, and mind reading. We’ve at least learned that they’re not cut out for a career in the secret service. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable assessment exercise for MI5/6. 

I’ve failed these two against the competencies of; problem solving, innovation, resilience, and mind reading. We’ve at least learned that they’re not cut out for a career in the secret service. 

But what if one of them is pretending his name is Jimmy Jones and tupping some unsuspecting wench in the Tooting Revolutionary Front as a result.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Furmedge said:

How technology is being used to make things more difficult than easy.  Advertised a job in my department.

Good old days - Sift through CV's, highlight key skills and experience, invite in best candidates, interview the next week and offer job.

Now - Wait until deadline passes, ask HR to allow me access to all applicants because reading them as they come in apparently muddies the waters if I find someone early in the process and ignore any later applications, electronically score them between 1-5 for pre-determined example requirements and comment the reason why I've chosen 1-5, submit once all candidates scored, receive report on who are best candidates to interview based on an algorithm from my scoring, decide on date and have to book interview rooms before system will allow me to continue, submit to HR, HR arrange interviews via system which will populate all information based on advert/cost centre/budget holder and requires agreement from budget holder to proceed, wait for budget holder to read email and tick box to say ok to proceed to interview stage, auto generate interview letters.  This can take up to two weeks from the closing date.  Post interview scoring starts again based on verbal answers (remember 1-5 and give your reasons!), algorithm suggests best candidate to offer job to, override it with who you know is better, offer job.

Interview day today.  Four out four candidates didn't attend.  Called them earlier to see why, first two said they turned up and were told there were no interviews being held there today and no contact details on the invitation letter so just had to leave.  Turns out the system booked them into the budget holders office.  My office is 14 miles away.

Got to fucking book them through the same system again now, but already contacted those that want to come back (two told me they're not coming now and I don't blame them) and gave them the address over the phone and my number incase it goes tits up again.

Fuck technology.

Sounds like HR are  to blame here.  I bet they got themselves a nice big budget to bring in a software system that makes it a lot harder for anyone to do anything.  Plus they get to position themselves as gatekeepers for at least 3 of the steps so can take ages and feel more important when they hold things up.

Fucking HR.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

HR, estate agents and anyone who works at a recruitment agency. 

The world would be a significantly better place if they all didn't exist. 

Douglas Adams put them on a one way spaceship trip in one of his books

17 hours ago, Le Duan said:

Dozy fuckers at the ATM, going through 20 options before realising they only had to use one - the getting-fucking-cash-out one. I then sigh loudly and shake my head as I race through in 30 seconds.

I was in a cash point queue recently, behind two old ladies and a person who was taking an interminable amount of time at the machine. This person was a very large woman indeed. After a few sighs and tuts at the delay, one of the old ladies muttered ostentatiously to the other 'perhaps she thinks you can get food out of it'. I had to walk away so I could laugh.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Furmedge said:

Fuck technology.

I had to call the RAC yesterday. After manging to divert my way through around 10 automated option menus I was still being very clearly told by some robot message that I would be far far better off going to www.RAC blah blah to report my breakdown rather than calling them.     

On 06/07/2022 at 08:57, YorkshireRed said:

I like reading posts like this. Reminds me that, although I earn significantly less money these days, my life is much the richer for not being surrounded by these fuckers. 

It was rife where I used to work. A global business that had an unwritten expectation for 24/7 working to accommodate time zones.

People working on planes, trains, in taxis on the way to hotels. Not daring to leave the office for fear of being judged, even if they were heading into their sixtieth hour of the week and more. 

A culture where a few who lived to work flourished, but many others became victims of the inevitable illnesses that working this way create. 

This shit needs to change. We need to stop celebrating it and get better at rewarding different types of role models. Those who make an effective contribution to business success but also demonstrate a work/life balance that provides sustainable success.

To be fair, many businesses are getting better at this but there’s still a way to go in some industries. 

Too many people wait until they have their heart attack before changing their lifestyle. Fuck that shit, do it now. Employers will respect and be jealous of employees that shut off on the button, customers/suppliers respect it too. What can they say to someone who tells them straight up that they embrace their right to disengage?

Unless someone will die without intervention then it can wait until tomorrow/Monday as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

I was in a cash point queue recently, behind two old ladies and a person who was taking an interminable amount of time at the machine. This person was a very large woman indeed. After a few sighs and tuts at the delay, one of the old ladies muttered ostentatiously to the other 'perhaps she thinks you can get food out of it'. I had to walk away so I could laugh.

That's superb.

PS. When did Personnel departments start calling themselves HR? Ostentatious cunts,