You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

23 hours ago, Le Duan said:

Anyone, male or female in any service job; referring to groups of people as “guys” - regardless of the genders of said groups. Just. Fucking. Stop. Yet another American-ism creeping into and blighting our lives. So fucking irritating..

Abso-fucking-lutely.

I've started to get really paranoid about falling masonry.

There was a girl killed by falling masonry in Edinburgh about 20 years ago & I never thought much about it at the time but it keeps eating away at me now & walking about the city centre streets is not as pleasant as it should be. I probably look like a maniac, looking up at the buildings in terror as I stot about the place.

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

There was a girl killed by falling masonry in Edinburgh about 20 years ago & I never thought much about it at the time but it keeps eating away at me now & walking about the city centre streets is not as pleasant as it should be. I probably look like a maniac, looking up at the buildings in terror as I stot about the place.

I'm a bit like that with kitchen cupboard doors.

I read A Scanner Darkly years ago, and the protagonist in that was a normal fella until he stood up under an opened cupboard door and the corner smashed his head. Something about the innocuous nature of it unsettled me.

It's weird the stuff that sticks in your mind. I now look at kitchen units like a health and safety Robocop scanning for threats.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I read A Scanner Darkly years ago, and the protagonist in that was a normal fella until he stood up under an opened cupboard door and the corner smashed his head. Something about the innocuous nature of it unsettled me.

It's weird the stuff that sticks in your mind. I now look at kitchen units like a health and safety Robocop scanning for threats.

Haha, I'm the same after cracking my head on an open door a few years back. Very painful, although it did inspire me to clean up the streets of the skunk pussies and cooze hounds.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Is that why you wear hats?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I’m like that with electric shocks, got a nasty one off a broken plug in my teenagers and been wary of electricity ever since. Once you know how much something hurts you never forget. 

26 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m like that with electric shocks, got a nasty one off a broken plug in my teenagers and been wary of electricity ever since. Once you know how much something hurts you never forget. 

Yep. I once got a paper cut, then had packet of salt & vinegar Squares. Never again.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Not as serious as yours, but static electricity shocks are a bloody nuisance.

A bit of warm weather, go out in the car, get out, go to shut the door and zap.

I used to work in a printed circuit board place years ago and one of the jobs I did was to cut the raw board to size on a guillotine.

They were roughly 2 metres square and came in boxes of 25.

Because one side was copper, the static charge was horrendous so you learned a technique where you caught a corner with your thumb and sort of whipped it up.

There was always a crack where the charge went into the next board and so on.

The problem with this method though was the static was building all the time and you knew that sooner or later it was going to get you.

And when it did you fucking knew about it.

Horrible job that was.

46 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I used to regularly stay at the Marriott Hotel in Bucharest for work. A very nice place it is too.

Despite its many attractions, I developed a pathological fear of the lifts. Seemingly every time I touched one of the buttons I’d get a really nasty electric shock. I tried everything to prevent this, apart from taking the stairs. Lifting my feet off the ground as I walked to the lift area, so as not to create friction. Trying to push the buttons with my elbows, and jabbing at them really quickly. Nothing worked.

I suspect it was the Hotel’s way of calling me English riffraff who was ruining the aesthetics of the place. Fair play I suppose.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Joking aren't you?  If I tried to get into a student union nowadays they'd think I'm there to pick up the kids for a lift home.

I've just thought about it and he last time I was in a student union type place I've pinpointed to a saturday afternoon, september/october time 2012. I remember a girl (she was being friendly) asking us if we were too old to be in there.

10 fucking years ago. Life needs to slow the fuck down. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Not as serious as yours, but static electricity shocks are a bloody nuisance.

A bit of warm weather, go out in the car, get out, go to shut the door and zap.

I used to work in a printed circuit board place years ago and one of the jobs I did was to cut the raw board to size on a guillotine.

They were roughly 2 metres square and came in boxes of 25.

Because one side was copper, the static charge was horrendous so you learned a technique where you caught a corner with your thumb and sort of whipped it up.

There was always a crack where the charge went into the next board and so on.

The problem with this method though was the static was building all the time and you knew that sooner or later it was going to get you.

And when it did you fucking knew about it.

Horrible job that was.

Keeping hold of the metal part of the door as you're getting out of the car will keep you at the same potential difference and will ensure that you don't earth yourself; ergo, no shock.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stouffer said:

Keeping hold of the metal part of the door as you're getting out of the car will keep you at the same potential difference and will ensure that you don't earth yourself; ergo, no shock.

"Potential Difference", thats a phrase I havent heard since Physics classes about 45 years ago

• Upvote 1

On 20/05/2022 at 17:58, Mook said:

My grandfather worked for the MDHB in the the early thirties, there was a lot of development going on with the buildings on the waterfront. He was walking on the pavement when he was struck a glancing blow by a steel girder dropped from above, the object continued down and severed half his foot off. he was  unconscious in the ambulance and the nurse held this tongue with some forceps, this damaged his tongue. He was in Walton hospital for a very long time. His head and foot injuries healed but his tongue never did, sadly after a couple of years and operations to remove the damaged parts of his tongue, he was diagnosed with mouth cancer and never recovered.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, nimrod said:

My grandfather worked for the MDHB in the the early thirties, there was a lot of development going on with the buildings on the waterfront. He was walking on the pavement when he was struck a glancing blow by a steel girder dropped from above, the object continued down and severed half his foot off. he was  unconscious in the ambulance and the nurse held this tongue with some forceps, this damaged his tongue. He was in Walton hospital for a very long time. His head and foot injuries healed but his tongue never did, sadly after a couple of years and operations to remove the damaged parts of his tongue, he was diagnosed with mouth cancer and never recovered.

Fucking Hell man.