You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

22 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Get her to take pictures of hobs being switched off and maybe videos of her testing the door is locked

She'll never change mate, she's done it for as long as I've known her.

She knows she's being daft and she's never seen anyone about it, but she won't settle unless she does these things, but thankfully hasn't  manifested into other things apart from checking the kids were breathing when they were asleep.

It was a nightmare until they turned 2 and then it eased off. I must admit though I was a bit like that myself when they were babies.

38 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Mrs has got a bit of OCD. She checks the gas knobs on the hob countless times before we go to bed and then goes back and checks them again.

I do that too. Mine is even sadder than that because ours is a leccy cooker. If it was gas I’d be checking it about 15 times. 

Also have to make sure the kettle, microwave and dishwasher are turned off at the wall as well as have a quick look at the fridge and make sure the freezer door is shut. 

The freezer door has never, ever been left open but it needs checking, just in case. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

She'll never change mate, she's done it for as long as I've known her.

She knows she's being daft, but she won't settle unless she does these things, but thankfully hasn't  manifested into other things apart from checking the kids were breathing when they were asleep.

It was a nightmare until they turned 2 and then it eased off. I must admit though I was a bit like that myself when they were babies.

A mate's wife has something similar, she has to take a picture of birthday/wedding cards to make sure she hasn't called someone a cunt before she can send it or hand it over. Seems fucking awful to have that level of self doubt

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I do that too. Mine is even sadder than that because ours is a leccy cooker. If it was gas I’d be checking it about 15 times. 

Also have to make sure the kettle, microwave and dishwasher are turned off at the wall as well as have a quick look at the fridge and make sure the freezer door is shut. 

The freezer door has never, ever been left open but it needs checking, just in case. 

It's strange the way the mind works in the way it compels you to do things before it can rest.

I always check things as well, but once I've checked that's it done.

Apart from where the kids were concerned when they were little that is.

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

A mate's wife has something similar, she has to take a picture of birthday/wedding cards to make sure she hasn't called someone a cunt before she can send it or hand it over. Seems fucking awful to have that level of self doubt

That's the thing, she's a really confident and competent person. She's been a school caretaker since 1992, nothing fazes her, it's just the gas hob, doors and windows.

She's a strange one. Amazing, but strange.

7 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

That's the thing, she's a really confident and competent person. She's been a school caretaker since 1992, nothing fazes her, it's just the gas hob, doors and windows.

She's a strange one. Amazing, but strange.

Does she do call outs? I regularly leave my keys in the car, the car running, the keys in the door, my wallet in the open car etc etc.  She’d be busy but might enjoy it. 

On 17/09/2021 at 16:12, Harry's Lad said:

My Mrs has got a bit of OCD. She checks the gas knobs on the hob countless times before we go to bed and then goes back and checks them again.

She checks the lock on the front door countless times before we go out as well even putting her shoulder against the door.

We'll get in the car and she'll say " I did check that front door didn't I?... and the gas?.

I just let her get on with her ritual, but fuck me it's annoying.

That would drive me insane. You’re a saint. 

On 17/09/2021 at 16:12, Harry's Lad said:

She checks the lock on the front door countless times before we go out as well even putting her shoulder against the door.

We'll get in the car and she'll say " I did check that front door didn't I?... and the gas?.

I just let her get on with her ritual, but fuck me it's annoying.

You're lucky. We were in Next on Edge Lane retail park a few years back, next door neighbour rings her and asks is everything ok because the front door is wide open but she'd seen us go out in the car. Bad empty head sometimes my bird. 

On 17/09/2021 at 16:50, Captain Turdseye said:

Ha ha I'm the same. 

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You're lucky. We were in Next on Edge Lane retail park a few years back, next door neighbour rings her and asks is everything ok because the front door is wide open but she'd seen us go out in the car. Bad empty head sometimes my bird. 

Haha, we had something similar with our neighbours. We dont go to bed until 1am while they're tucked up no later than 10pm!

One night this week, the old girl goes to put some rubbish in the bin and comes in to say next door's back door is wide open and she thinks they've gone to bed.

I have a look and there's no sign of tv flicker or lights on downstairs and yes, the door's wide open. After talking about it for a few minutes, I go round theirs and pings the camera door bell. No answer! So I ding it again. No answer.

I notice the bedroom light on and can hear voices so I shout out to them. Nothing. Im about to go back to ours jump the fence and pull the door closed when the arl fella, older than me, comes down wearing just his boxers! Not a pretty sight.

Said sorry to disturb you but your back door is wide open and we thought you'd gone to bed. He chuckled and said the only time he hadnt checked, his dopey wife had left it open.

• Upvote 1

Blokes who take children’s sport far too seriously. Our 12 year old played this morning and at one point, the opposing team coach went ballistic at the linesman, proper out of control screaming hysteria over a marginal call. Our team were quite intimidated as was the linesman (one of the dads). Utter dickhead. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Blokes who take children’s sport far too seriously. Our 12 year old played this morning and at one point, the opposing team coach went ballistic at the linesman, proper out of control screaming hysteria over a marginal call. Our team were quite intimidated as was the linesman (one of the dads). Utter dickhead. 

One of best friends is like this. He genuinely is a really nice person until he gets anywhere near a football field. In his playing days he was a right nasty bastard, proper snide and full of lip. Got decked a couple of times up town by opponents who’d marked his card. 

He’s now transferred this behaviour to supporting his lad from the touchline. I’ve not witnessed it myself but apparently he’s already been spoken to by the team manager about his behaviour. I don’t think he abuses the young lads, which I suppose is something, but the referee, parents supporting both teams and the respective managers are fair game. He knows he goes too far but just can’t help himself.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

One of best friends is like this. He genuinely is a really nice person until he gets anywhere near a football field. In his playing days he was a right nasty bastard, proper snide and full of lip. Got decked a couple of times up town by opponents who’d marked his card. 

He’s now transferred this behaviour to supporting his lad from the touchline. I’ve not witnessed it myself but apparently he’s already been spoken to by the team manager about his behaviour. I don’t think he abuses the young lads, which I suppose is something, but the referee, parents supporting both teams and the respective managers are fair game. He knows he goes too far but just can’t help himself.

He sounds no fun. He’ll get smacked one day soon by another dad and all the kids will witness it. We play in the Surrey league and it’s generally pretty polite and calm (today was an unhappy exception) but some of the south London kids leagues are notorious for the behaviour of the parents. We get teams asking to play in our more genteel leagues instead which is ok but it does lead to some ludicrous journeys to away games 90 minutes drive away.

Just now, Captain Willard said:

He sounds no fun. He’ll get smacked one day soon by another dad and all the kids will witness it. We play in the Surrey league and it’s generally pretty polite and calm (today was an unhappy exception) but some of the south London kids leagues are notorious for the behaviour of the parents. We get teams asking to play in our more genteel leagues instead which is ok but it does lead to some ludicrous journeys to away games 90 minutes drive away.

He’ll definitely get smacked. His lad is in a league that play in some rough ish areas. Although he’s not much of a fighter really, he looks like he is. Quite well built with a bald head. His look probably puts a few off twatting him that want to but his time will come. The thing is, he knows it. 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

He’ll definitely get smacked. His lad is in a league that play in some rough ish areas. Although he’s not much of a fighter really, he looks like he is. Quite well built with a bald head. His look probably puts a few off twatting him that want to but his time will come. The thing is, he knows it. 

It’s funny how a shaved head on a big bloke makes people think they’re up for a scrap. I’m shaven head fat bloke who hasn’t had a proper fight in 40 years but Mrs Willard complains I intimidate people. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

It’s funny how a shaved head on a big bloke makes people think they’re up for a scrap. I’m shaven head fat bloke who hasn’t had a proper fight in 40 years but Mrs Willard complains I intimidate people. 

To be fair that’ll probably be your serial killing tendencies rather than your physical appearance. 

• Upvote 3

People who misuse What’s app groups. We are in a couple for the  kids football teams, they were originally set up to give details of fixtures and training. Now the parents have taken over and it’s full of jokes, decorating tips, traffic updates from days ago and birthday announcements for people I barely know so I have to Wade through umpteen pages of trivial shit just to find what time the next match is. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...