You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

2011. Bluetooth stereo. Panoramic sunroof. Alloy wheels. Leather interior. 

GrippingAcademicLeopardseal-size_restric

Bought it two and a half years ago and it’s now worth a quarter of what I paid for it. 

“Profit on that”

33CA8EA5-2210-4BCA-A30A-1011C09FBCA8.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Seeing all the pictures of medal winners at the Olympics (or elsewhere, at whatever competition) biting their medals. FUCK OFF! This is more a sports photographers' request, for the 'money shot' pic. However, as a former pro photographer, myself, (general, not sports) I used to abhor such cliches. The athletes themselves, usually don't have a clue what it's all about, except for the fact that it's seemingly just what you do when you win a medal.

This is as much about annoying, tiresome stereotypes of poses for photos as it is the biting of medals which is just one example. Another is, when taking a photograph of a boxer, in any context or situation, it is seemingly obligatory for them to have their hands raised in front of them, in a defensive position.

• Upvote 1

This annoyed me.

An odd story broke yesterday morning about Google co-founder Larry Page having been in New Zealand so his son could have medical treatment. Stuff's George Block chased down how that was possible with the closed border, and after initial official denials, it later emerged that the 6th richest person on the planet holds New Zealand permanent residency. Many other details of the story remain a mystery, including whether Page spent two weeks in MIQ. On the subject, I thought this was an interesting column from the NZ Herald's (paywalled) Chris Keall, who noted the multi-billionaire's family probably benefited from our free healthcare system. 

It does slightly stick in my craw that Page has benefited from our infrastructure at a time when his company has moved quite assertively to minimise its tax exposure in New Zealand (Page stepped down as chief executive of Google's corporate parent Alphabet in 2019, but is still a director and a major shareholder with around US$120 billion worth of stock).

Parking a long way from the entrance to the supermarket and sneering at all those that try and get as close as they possibly can as I casually stroll across the car park........only to get to the shop and realise that I have left my wallet in the car 

• Upvote 3

Printers.

They are the technology version of a workshy, moaning cunt. Any slight issue and they refuse to work.

"The papers at a slight angle, I'm not using that."

"There's a miniscule bit of dust, I demand it's wiped before I do anything."

"Everything's fine, I just can't be arsed working today so fuck off. You can run all the diagnostics you want but I'm still not doing anything."

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Printers.

They are the technology version of a workshy, moaning cunt. Any slight issue and they refuse to work.

"Everything's fine, I just can't be arsed working today so fuck off. You can run all the diagnostics you want but I'm still not doing anything."

“it looks like you are using ink that didn’t cost the same as crushed diamonds and mermaid tears. So no printing for you dickhead”

or when there’s no magenta ink so it won’t print a Word document that’s all just black text. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Printers.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, markcd said:

“it looks like you are using ink that didn’t cost the same as crushed diamonds and mermaid tears. So no printing for you dickhead”

or when there’s no magenta ink so it won’t print a Word document that’s all just black text. 

Fucking magenta and cyan - bastard printers making up their own colours.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Printers.

You earlier

ronswanson-parksandrec.gif

• Upvote 1

My HP printer now refuses to print wirelessly from my laptop, but works fine with the other laptops in the house. I haven't changed a thing, and yet I can only get the damned thing to print by connecting the cable.

Trying to find a solution is a massive ballache too. Either they think the problem is that none of the devices are connecting, or their solution basically involves a complete rebuild of your computer, the printer, the router, your mains supply...

7 minutes ago, Trumo said:

My HP printer now refuses to print wirelessly from my laptop, but works fine with the other laptops in the house. I haven't changed a thing, and yet I can only get the damned thing to print by connecting the cable.

Trying to find a solution is a massive ballache too. Either they think the problem is that none of the devices are connecting, or their solution basically involves a complete rebuild of your computer, the printer, the router, your mains supply...

speaking as an IT professional of some 70 summers, can I suggest you disconnect the laptop from the power supply via use of the button supplied, then reapply the power via the same button.  

Thank me later.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

speaking as an IT professional of some 70 summers, can I suggest you disconnect the laptop from the power supply via use of the button supplied, then reapply the power via the same button.  

Thank me later.

Good one!

44 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Home printers are more temperamental than a woman on the rag. 

They literally have a mind of their own. 

51 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Actually, I have an HP printer and I've had similar issues - they can set up an alternative wireless network and allow direct access to your laptop providing your laptop connects to that network as opposed to your wi-fi.  It's a massive pain in the arse, but it will work in emergencies. 

I actually found a solution to the printing problem.

Firstly I got a blank piece of paper, then a pen and then just transferred the words on the screen onto the paper by hand.

Then chucked the fucking printer against the wall and pissed on its remains.

• Upvote 10

On 07/08/2021 at 22:07, Chocoholic said:

Seeing all the pictures of medal winners at the Olympics (or elsewhere, at whatever competition) biting their medals. FUCK OFF! This is more a sports photographers' request, for the 'money shot' pic. However, as a former pro photographer, myself, (general, not sports) I used to abhor such cliches. The athletes themselves, usually don't have a clue what it's all about, except for the fact that it's seemingly just what you do when you win a medal.

This is as much about annoying, tiresome stereotypes of poses for photos as it is the biting of medals which is just one example. Another is, when taking a photograph of a boxer, in any context or situation, it is seemingly obligatory for them to have their hands raised in front of them, in a defensive position.

Have some rep for being a pro photographer. I love being a hobbyist as I can't be doing with the pressure of making money from it.

On the boxer subject, that always bugs me too or if a boxer has a night out is spotted there has to be a raised fist on the impromptu photograph with the fan or friend. You should've gone to adjust their hands for the photo and twatted them on the nose to test their reflexes.