You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

On 27/06/2021 at 18:49, Paulie Dangerously said:

At the Safari park before. Fucking chocker. Every ride and shop had a queue. I was waiting behind a fella and his 10 kids in a big queue. Probably waiting about 10 minutes. He gets to the front and says, "right, what does everyone want then?" 

It hadn't even crossed his mind until that moment, presented with a member of staff waiting to prepare his order.  Enter another 5 minutes or so of organising who wants what and then ordering one too few because someone swapped. Fucking nightmare. 

People just don't have even a smidgen of common enough sense to prepare their order to ensure a quick transaction transaction everyone.  

Full of animals those places.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Restaurants who put their tables too close together so you have to listen to other people’s conversation and vice versa. Mrs Kurtz is going slowly but inexorably deaf after too much raving in her youth so meals out are becoming a nightmare. 

Someone somewhere is posting on a forum that they sat next to a tory who was bragging to his missus about how to dispose of a dead OAP. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Restaurants who put their tables too close together so you have to listen to other people’s conversation and vice versa. Mrs Kurtz is going slowly but inexorably deaf after too much raving in her youth so meals out are becoming a nightmare. 

Kurtz on his last meal out.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The new IMDB styling. Yet another perfectly functional website ruined by web design cunts.

These two Reddit posts sum it up well- 

and- 

i.e. trying to force mobile design onto desktop websites and apps to streamline their codebase, like the ridiculous new Spotify design.

52 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The new IMDB styling. Yet another perfectly functional website ruined by web design cunts.

I've been bitching about this for a few years.

The standard of UI design and basic site structure has gone to shit over the last 5 to 6 years. Everything is focussed on it looking nice (what looks nice is a very subjective thing, but that's their primary focus) rather than functionality.

The amount of sites that look fantastic but you can't find a fucking thing on them or you go back to the same site you visited before and cannot find the same info is huge. 

Loads of things are now multiple steps when they used to be a single click away, we've seemingly moved beyond the point of making things easier to use and now started actively making things take longer.

Responsive design that works well on mobile and web isn't actually all that tricky, but they seem to be fucking it up big time. 

Like many other industries, it's now full of people who only half know the job but who are cheap. You get a lesser product but you've saved money, although in a lot of cases I'd argue they've still over paid, because no matter how cheap something is, if it doesn't work then it was over priced.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I've been bitching about this for a few years.

The standard of UI design and basic site structure has gone to shit over the last 5 to 6 years. Everything is focussed on it looking nice (what looks nice is a very subjective thing, but that's their primary focus) rather than functionality.

The amount of sites that look fantastic but you can't find a fucking thing on them or you go back to the same site you visited before and cannot find the same info is huge. 

Loads of things are now multiple steps when they used to be a single click away, we've seemingly moved beyond the point of making things easier to use and now started actively making things take longer.

Responsive design that works well on mobile and web isn't actually all that tricky, but they seem to be fucking it up big time. 

Like many other industries, it's now full of people who only half know the job but who are cheap. You get a lesser product but you've saved money, although in a lot of cases I'd argue they've still over paid, because no matter how cheap something is, if it doesn't work then it was over priced.

Yup. For the bolded, I wonder whether this is deliberate to increase the time people spend on the site, which I'm assuming will be a good metric to sell to advertisers.

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yup. For the bolded, I wonder whether this is deliberate to increase the time people spend on the site, which I'm assuming will be a good metric to sell to advertisers.

I'm sure you will have some people who are selling ads based on number of hits and claiming their page visits rather than the actual number of visitors. 

Google do some of their ranking based on how long people spend on a page though, so if you're clicking through multiple pages Google can view the page quality as low. The logic being that if you've found what you want then you sit and read the page, whereas if you've moved on almost immediately, the logic is that you've searched for  x, google gave you that page result and you haven't stayed on there, therefore the content must not be relevant for that search.

I agree with the second reddit post you put in, Google have forced massive changes on people and are a big driver behind some of the shit design going on. It doesn't always benefit the end visitor to the site, but it makes things easier for Google. The fact that Google has become a verb that means search now means they have a huge amount of power.

Interestingly though, I've a site I run which is just a hobby site.

It's Wordpress based, but I have really made an effort on structure keeping it very old style HTML in terms of everything being set up as Subject > Sub Category A > Sub Category B etc. and it absolutely kills it for search results on that type of content. In fact it does so to such an extent that I get annoyed, I try to search for the same content myself and the first few pages on Google (both pages and images) are my site which makes my own research a bit of a pain. The same site has a really old HTML page built in Notepad which I've not shifted over to the new structure yet. That also absolutely nails it with really high results on Google search for the subject. 

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

Mate, I'm still raging that they got rid of the message boards.

Haha, they were a bit of a dumpster fire, but there was interesting stuff to be found on there as well. I guess Amazon couldn't be arsed properly moderating them.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Mate, I'm still raging that they got rid of the message boards.

I'm fuming that I can instantly identify actors and actresses rather than have a three day feud with the missus about whether or not it was 'thingamy' in 'whatsitsname' 'You know,the one with the (insert completely incorrect fact about media headlined relationship.)

This is reasonably rare but none the less very annoying, generally older couples.

Once they have finished their shopping, one will take the trolley back (usually the woman) and as she's doing so the man will leave the parking space and pick up her up in the middle of the car park, blocking access and generally holding the flow of the car park up, all so she doesn't have to walk a further 5-10 yards and because he's thinks he's Ryan Gosling in Drive.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Mrs Kurtz going into Sainsbury’s to “pick up a few bits” and emerging a half hour later with a full shopping trolley whilst I’m stuck in the car posting shit and missing the Belgium Italy game. 

In a parking space I hope!

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

When you write 'ill' on your phone & the spellcheck amends it to 'I'll' about 5 times before it gives in.

Little cunt.

Then next time you want to write 'I'll' but can't be arsed typing the apostrophe or capital letter, the fucking thing doesn't autocorrect.

• Upvote 2

Nipping over to the FF for a injection of the unmentionable and accidentally finding myself on the blinking Draft Forum.

It’s like wondering into a room and forgetting why you’re there, or how you arrived. 

I don’t need this kind of shit to make me feel confused and unaware of my surroundings. I have old age for that.