You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Just keep road tax if they're shitting it about losing revenue with electric cars rather than punish those who have to travel to work or see family. Again rich people won't be arsed but the poorest will be fucked.

It's the revenue they'll lose on petrol/diesel duty. They'll always make up the shortfall somewhere, but the motorist is a soft target and is bound to be clobbered elsewhere. Road tax won't cover it. It doesn't even cover the cost of road repairs for which it was originally meant to fund.

Remember the fuel protests in the early 2000's? with Blair standing at the lectern in Downing St saying How do we pay for our NHS?, our public services?, that's where the fuel duty goes.

The motorist, rich or poor pays for the fucking lot, it's just that the poorer motorist gets hit harder, the one with the older car which is less economical and has higher emissions so he pays more because he can't afford to upgrade.

I'm just wondering how the electric infrastructure is going to cope with the demand for electricity when all cars are electric. There are warnings over power cuts because the network is almost at full capacity every winter as it is, and they don't seem to be making any progress in improving that.

Big ideas but no plan to deliver and when they finally do, guess who'll be paying for it.

Typical.

• Upvote 1

How come examples of things that work aren't used as a template where possible in places that could benefit. Like Finland constantly comes top in population happiness levels. Why aren't other countries looking at Finland and thinking maybe we can get some ideas. Why not pick and mix the best of things and fuck off the worst of things without ideology dictating a path. Evidence, flexibility and not being scared of change. What fucking thread is this.

Twitter trends. I don’t follow

many People on Twitter and almost never post but I like popping on there to keep up with the fee select bits I’ve got in the timeline. Mostly nfl the odd bit of politics/news and now covid stats stuff. That’s all.

yet somehow even with that limited interaction I get inundated with these fucking things.

A month or so ago it was “this is how it started, this is how it’s going” which was mostly people bragging about their current amazing lives.

now it’s “what feels like x but isn’t x” we’re people post a meme or a photo or some other inane response.

just fuck off with it you boring repetitive bastards. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Twitter trends. I don’t follow

many People on Twitter and almost never post but I like popping on there to keep up with the fee select bits I’ve got in the timeline. Mostly nfl the odd bit of politics/news and now covid stats stuff. That’s all.

yet somehow even with that limited interaction I get inundated with these fucking things.

A month or so ago it was “this is how it started, this is how it’s going” which was mostly people bragging about their current amazing lives.

now it’s “what feels like x but isn’t x” we’re people post a meme or a photo or some other inane response.

just fuck off with it you boring repetitive bastards. 

That’s the exact business model they used to be, spreading ‘memes’ in the ol’ fashion Dawkin sense.

Only problem is the algorithms are now much more sophisticated and lead and not repeat. 

Edited by Bruce Spanner

I was just perusing the Internet on my phone as you do and stumbled across some big titty birds twitter feed had a look, closed it and forgot about it. Got in my car to go out with the missus and the fucking twitter name and post came on the screen where usually a radio station or song track shows, luckily I hit the dab button  with amazing speed and my missus didn't notice. Technology is a dangerous affair 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I was just perusing the Internet on my phone as you do and stumbled across some big titty birds twitter feed had a look, closed it and forgot about it. Got in my car to go out with the missus and the fucking twitter name and post came on the screen where usually a radio station or song track shows, luckily I hit the dab button  with amazing speed and my missus didn't notice. Technology is a dangerous affair 

Reminds me of a time many moons ago when I had travelled up look at possible student houses with my missus for when I started my masters. My phone battery died but was waiting for a call from the house I liked most so put my sim in my other half’s phone.

we’re driving about when a text comes through, and instinctively she picks up her phone to look at it. It’s my mate planning a visit to a strip club we nicknamed Titty City and asking if I’m in.

”what’s Titty City?” She said icily.

and why does it say “again” she added.

She didn’t buy my bluffed reply.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

I opened my phones browser in work to test a config change to an API, and it opened on xvideos. I moved pretty quickly but pretty sure the guy beside me spotted it. He kept quiet though. Good man.

He's in the smoking area taking the piss out of you for using xvideos. He's an xhamster guy and quite frankly I'm on his side. 

• Upvote 2

Weird one but our local chemist shuts for an hour for lunch. It’s probably right that it does, just it just feels very antiquated in today’s world.

I’m probably only bothered because going to the chemist is the type of thing you do on your own lunch hour and it not being open inconveniences me, which frankly is just not on. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Weird one but our local chemist shuts for an hour for lunch. It’s probably right that it does, just it just feels very antiquated in today’s world.

I’m probably only bothered because going to the chemist is the type of thing you do on your own lunch hour and it not being open inconveniences me, which frankly is just not on. 

I wonder if Wednesday half day closing still goes on somewhere, pretty sure it does. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think it still does in the Old Town part of Runcorn in one or two places. Not surprising really as they still get excited about having electricity.

Haha. I think nearly all the shops did years ago, it would seem weird these days though it wouldn't bother me. 

On 17/11/2020 at 08:44, Bobby Hundreds said:

A bird i used work with sent me a picture of her in a low cut top saying"is this too slutty for instagramme" I was mirroring my phone to the TV at the time so WhatsApp popped up. Luckily our takeaway arrived at the door at same time so the mrs was distracted.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Not sure on that one. Good for the staff to get a longer weekend though. 

Oh yeah no problem there, my Monday morning Times is an, absolute must, all the weekends footy write ups and all the that, not to mention the days racecard. 

I usually get about 3 papers on a Monday. 

On a Monday, that's a good Ry Cooder track. 

8 hours ago, littletedwest said:

A bird i used work with sent me a picture of her in a low cut top saying"is this too slutty for instagramme" I was mirroring my phone to the TV at the time so WhatsApp popped up. Luckily our takeaway arrived at the door at same time so the mrs was distracted.

Pics or gtfo

Large, profitable companies imposing ninety day payment terms on small business owners because “it’s their policy”. 

Usually we’re talking about amounts of money that make fuck all difference to them but, particularly in the current climate, are much needed by said small business owner. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You should only worry about small business if people want the minimum wage increased because that effects big business too.

Although I take your point, I’m not sure an increase in the minimum wage is the only thing small business owners should worry about just now. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Although I take your point, I’m not sure an increase in the minimum wage is the only thing small business owners should worry about just now. 

I mean how small business is used as a tool pull on your conscience when needed but then left to be fucked over in almost every other circumstances be it big business having huge tax advantages or monopolising markets to force suppliers to sell their product for next to no profit or they will kill the business with aggressive tactics. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I mean how small business is used as a tool pull on your conscience when needed but then left to be fucked over in almost every other circumstances be it big business having huge tax advantages or monopolising markets to force suppliers to sell their product for next to no profit or they will kill the business with aggressive tactics. 

Ah, yes. I totally agree, misinterpreted your original response. The ‘lifeblood of the economy’ when it suits but get shafted to high heaven if big business clicks its grubby fingers.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Ah, yes. I totally agree, misinterpreted your original response. The ‘lifeblood of the economy’ when it suits but get shafted to high heaven if big business clicks its grubby fingers.

Expect covid to be used to further big businesses grip on the market at the expense of the smaller ones. 

• Upvote 3