You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A necessary invention, not a good invention.

Don’t excuse greed because charity covers it.

I'm not. Food banks cover lots of people for lots of reasons. They were necessary 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago, just not thought of. Like I said, a great invention that have helped loads of people and would have over the years regardless of the party in power.

11 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm not. Food banks cover lots of people for lots of reasons. They were necessary 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago, just not thought of. Like I said, a great invention that have helped loads of people and would have over the years regardless of the party in power.

We agree they are good, not that they are necessary. 

We have the 7th biggest (last time me I checked) economy on the planet. Every single person on this rock should be able to access jobs that pay sufficiently, education that promotes social mobility, benefits that genuinely cover until you can go back to work or find an alternative, prices that are reflective of inflation bands and not profit bands.

Nobody in the UK should have to go cap in hand.

PS. I know you’ve been doing food deliveries, so have I, and it’s made me angrier and I don’t understand how you would want this to continue.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, A Red said:

Does that not give you pause for thought as to what an enormous failure our civilisation and particularly our country is?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We agree they are good, not that they are necessary. 

We have the 7th (last time me I checked) economy on the planet. Every single person on this rock should be able to access jobs that pay sufficiently, education that promotes social mobility, benefits that genuinely cover until you can go back to work or find an alternative, prices that are reflective of inflation bands and not profit bands.

Nobody in the UK should have to go cap in hand.

PS. I know you’ve been doing food deliveries, so have I, and it’s made me angrier.

If we had the No 1 economy there would be the need for food banks. If everyone was paid sufficiently, had the best education and access to jobs there would be a need for food banks. 

You live in the richest city in the country, I live in the poorest county, food banks will always be needed, as they always were. Its great they now exist.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Does that not give you pause for thought as to what an enormous failure our civilisation and particularly our country is?

No. You can put everything in place but there will always be those that fall through the cracks. Whoever is in power.

15 minutes ago, A Red said:

If we had the No 1 economy there would be the need for food banks. If everyone was paid sufficiently, had the best education and access to jobs there would be a need for food banks. 

You live in the richest city in the country, I live in the poorest county, food banks will always be needed, as they always were. Its great they now exist.

I do, and I make no apologies for that, but it’s government planning that leads to brain drain, not the quiescence.

It’s wrong they exist whilst wealth exists, this is a choice, not a problem.

Wealth and the fetishisation of it has distorted this country to an admonishingly pathetic degree.  

It does not need this way,  and has never had to be this way.

These are the choices we’ve made.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, A Red said:

No. You can put everything in place but there will always be those that fall through the cracks. Whoever is in power.

Of course, but we're absolutely miles away from putting "everything" in place. We've spent most of the last ten years kicking the struts away from what little support was available. And most of the last 40 years telling everyone that it's their own fault that the entire game is rigged, and blaming them for their plight.

Why should anyone have to depend on private largesse for absolutely basic needs? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I do, and I make no apologies for that, but it’s government planning that leads to brain drain, not the quiescence.

It’s wrong they exist whilst wealth exists, this is a choice, not a problem.

Wealth and the fetishisation of it has distorted this country to an admonishingly pathetic degree.  

I'm not trying to criticise you for where you live, more making the point as to the need for food banks regardless of geography.

Its not wrong they exist, its good. No government will ever be able say "there is no need for food banks". Its one of those things that will always be needed and should have been thought of years ago.

I would imagine even a communist society might need food banks

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm not trying to criticise you for where you live, more making the point as to the need for food banks regardless of geography.

Its not wrong they exist, its good. No government will ever be able say "there is no need for food banks". Its one of those things that will always be needed and should have been thought of years ago.

I would imagine even a communist society might need food banks

A communist society would call them failures.

But, of course we’re arguing over ideological semantics.  

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A communist society would call them failures.

But, of course we’re arguing over ideological semantics.  

Of course. Unless there is true communism there will always be food banks

16 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Of course, but we're absolutely miles away from putting "everything" in place. We've spent most of the last ten years kicking the struts away from what little support was available. And most of the last 40 years telling everyone that it's their own fault that the entire game is rigged, and blaming them for their plight.

Why should anyone have to depend on private largesse for absolutely basic needs? 

Because they have fucked up? Are uneducated? Have been lied to? Are irresponsible? Are unlucky? Are dealing with cunts? etc etc etc

Rubberneckers.

How often when there's been an accident, but it's not obstructing the side of the road/dual carriageway you're on, is there still gridlock for ages until you're past it, because nosy cunts just have to slow right down to get a good look at what's gone on/perv at whatever grisly crash has occurred?

Mind your own business and keep your eyes on the road, you fucking vulture.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

Rubberneckers.

How often when there's been an accident, but it's not obstructing the side of the road/dual carriageway you're on, is there still gridlock for ages until you're past it, because nosy cunts just have to slow right down to get a good look at what's gone on/perv at whatever grisly crash has occurred?

You could make a fortune on eBay selling imitation rescue service vests with "Nosey Bystander" printed on the back

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Rubberneckers.

Grinds my gears as well mate.

If you really want to see peoples heads hanging off etc, there are multitudes of websites for that kind of thing. Now fuck off out of the way.

6 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Rubberneckers.

Fucking spot on this mate. Absolutely drives me insane that behaviour.

Add to that the cunts who film everything they see - I was parked down Vernon Street last year and someone had collapsed outside the court entrance, and some little cunt was walking passed on the phone to his mate, and he started laughing and saying there was someone on the floor, then goes “wait there” and stands filming the ongoing scene. I couldn’t believe it.

8 hours ago, A Red said:

Its shocking that food banks exist,its great that there are still some people that care enough about others to establish food banks for those that need them.

Supermarkets with those little food donation bins do my head in, I know they do help massively even if 20% of shoppers drop one item in every week but when you look at the sheer volume of food in a supermarket it's a massive piss take that it's left to the peasants to prop food banks up when the likes of Tesco, Asda, etc waste tons of food every week whilst people are starving.

It's like being in a warehouse full of gold but theres a cap at the front asking people for spare change. Mind boggling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Supermarkets with those little food donation bins do my head in, I know they do help massively even if 20% of shoppers drop one item in every week but when you look at the sheer volume of food in a supermarket it's a massive piss take that it's left to the peasants to prop food banks up when the likes of Tesco, Asda, etc waste tons of food every week whilst people are starving.

It's like being in a warehouse full of gold but theres a cap at the front asking people for spare change. Mind boggling.

People have been known to take food out of them on the way out after doing a full shop. You really can’t get much lower than that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Did a shop a while back. Felt like being socially responsible so added some stuff to the trolley to donate in one of those bins.

Because I’m a walking contradiction my charity only extended to the smart price items which I packed into a separate bag at the check out, placing the ‘best of’ items in another bag with a few household essentials.

When I got home I realised I’d dropped the wrong bag in the bin. This was, in part, because I was too lazy to empty it but also because I was trying to accelerate away from some salesperson or other who had set themselves up right next to the bin.   

Every essence of my soul wanted to go back and rectify my error but I didn’t. I still give the bin a dirty look though when I pass it. 

• Upvote 2