You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

Firefox having issues with add-ons but not telling you what the issue is or which ones are affected.

The browser has crashed a few times in the past couple of weeks, and it causes the whole system to crash so you have to do a forced reboot. Googling the possible causes, the most frequent suggestion was that add-ons were not compatible. When you then check that Firefox and its add-ons are up to date, it tells you that all is OK. It crashed again this morning so after rebooting, I uninstalled it and downloaded it off their website to install again. You lose your bookmarks (though these are easily recoverable), layout settings and add-ons when you do this though. Getting the bookmarks back was easy enough. Tweaking the layout to what it was before was easy enough. When trying to get the add-ons though, I noticed that some of them either no longer existed (eg, Adaware Plus), or the add-on info page carried a warning saying the latest versions of Firefox don't support it (eg, Thumbnail Zoom). I've found equivalent add-ons and installed them and all is running fine now. Quicker in fact.

If Firefox are having issues with add-ons, they need to be better at informing the users.

Was tidying the kitchen yesterday and I had two empty large gin bottles that had been in the cupboard for weeks, no idea why I hadn't binned them so I took the out front to the end of my drive to put in my recycling bin.

So there I am barefoot, unshaven  wearing just a pair of shorts carrying two big green gin bottles at two in the afternoon right as the google maps van drives past.

• Upvote 10

17 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Was tidying the kitchen yesterday and I had two empty large gin bottles that had been in the cupboard for weeks, no idea why I hadn't binned them so I took the out front to the end of my drive to put in my recycling bin.

So there I am barefoot, unshaven  wearing just a pair of shorts carrying two big green gin bottles at two in the afternoon right as the google maps van drives past.

You may end up as the anti-lockdown poster boy.

6 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

“It’s heartbreaking when people just let themselves go like that”.

Neighbour "He used to be a really nice guy, salt of the earth, impeccably groomed and tee-total but now look at him, he looks like The Big Lebowski crossed with Bubbs from The Wire."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I was ( may still be ) on Google Maps crossing Castle St with a pastie from Greggs in my hand. As my diet is not great at the best of times I have taken inordinate stick over it from ex-colleagues.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Conversation in that household goes something like this:

Him (slurring) - "I'm not pished you know! Mmm. You shmell niysh. Wharrashit?"

Her (slurring) - "Gin!"

• 4 weeks later...

There's something that twats have been doing for years, but it's become ubiquitous during the lockdown: starting an email with something like "I hope you're well?"

What the fuck is the question mark doing there? It's not a fucking question. If you hope someone is well, just state it and leave them in no doubt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There's something that twats have been doing for years, but it's become ubiquitous during the lockdown: starting an email with something like "I hope you're well?"

What the fuck is the question mark doing there? It's not a fucking question. If you hope someone is well, just state it and leave them in no doubt. 

Lots of email signatures with ‘stay safe’ in them nowadays.  

29 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

People saying "literally" as a filler word in every fucking sentence. It used to mean a metaphorical thing that actually happened so the opportunity to use it in day to day speech was pretty limited. If you stepped out of your front door and a cat fell on your head you could say "Oh my it's literally raining cats and dogs" and that would be both quite funny for the causal observer and more importantly the correct usage of the word. Now people just say it all the time and its meaning has been lost. Bloke in my office says "I'm literally e mailing you this now" . No you're not, you're just e mailing me you illiterate cunt. It drives me fucking mad and don't get me started on "like" instead of "said". That's another one.  There, I feel much better now I've got that out there. 

You are literally too late for this complaint as it’s so 2014!

Literally behind the times in your annoyances.

30 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

People who can't walk in a straight line. I'm a reasonably fit bloke and like to proceed on my errands in town at a brisk pace. This is impeded by slow fuckers who weave all over the pavement whilst staring blankly at their phones or listening to headphones. Couples holding hands are even worse. Just walk normally in straight line for fucks sake.  

Are you walking Hitler ?

Neo-Nazis filmed marching with torches at Hitler's Nuremberg rally ...

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

People saying "literally" as a filler word in every fucking sentence. It used to mean a metaphorical thing that actually happened so the opportunity to use it in day to day speech was pretty limited. If you stepped out of your front door and a cat fell on your head you could say "Oh my it's literally raining cats and dogs" and that would be both quite funny for the causal observer and more importantly the correct usage of the word. Now people just say it all the time and its meaning has been lost. Bloke in my office says "I'm literally e mailing you this now" . No you're not, you're just e mailing me you illiterate cunt. It drives me fucking mad and don't get me started on "like" instead of "said". That's another one.  There, I feel much better now I've got that out there. 

See also “obviously” 

Breaking down isn’t great at the best of times but driving back from me mums her clutch has just gone in her car. Right on the slip round off the 62 near Bowring park. She’s rang the breakdown and got the worlds most docile brummy who took an age getting us someone. Now a police car has pulled up behind us and after chatting with us is now sat behind us incase anyone crashed into us. I won’t be getting home for the first half. Fucking fuck off 

I just hope their isn’t some Raoul Moat fucker looking for police to shoot 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Breaking down isn’t great at the best of times but driving back from me mums her clutch has just gone in her car. Right on the slip round off the 62 near Bowring park. She’s rang the breakdown and got the worlds most docile brummy who took an age getting us someone. Now a police car has pulled up behind us and after chatting with us is now sat behind us incase anyone crashed into us. I won’t be getting home for the first half. Fucking fuck off 

I just hope their isn’t some Raoul Moat fucker looking for police to shoot 

Bastards. Only just got in 

58 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

A dirty sounding 'breathy' bye at the end of a phone conversation. People talk perfectly normally for the whole call then when it comes to saying goodbye they change tone of their voice. You either get a high pitched "bye" or multiple "bye bye byes" or the worse a breathy bye said in a tone that is normally used by coked up Russian prostitutes whispering filthy suggestions in your ear in dodgy strip clubs. I really don't want the fat middle aged women from HR talking to me like that. Even worse if its another chap. Just say goodbye in the same fucking tone of voice that you have used for the rest of the  preceding conversation. 

Its a sigh that you weren't meant to hear I expect. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

A dirty sounding 'breathy' bye at the end of a phone conversation. People talk perfectly normally for the whole call then when it comes to saying goodbye they change tone of their voice. You either get a high pitched "bye" or multiple "bye bye byes" or the worse a breathy bye said in a tone that is normally used by coked up Russian prostitutes whispering filthy suggestions in your ear in dodgy strip clubs. I really don't want the fat middle aged women from HR talking to me like that. Even worse if its another chap. Just say goodbye in the same fucking tone of voice that you have used for the rest of the  preceding conversation. 

I'm one of the multiple bye cunts, can't help it.