You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jack Straw retires from parliament

Gnasher

• 1 year later...

Love his vehement insistence on no wrong-doing.

That seems to be the new tactic for these cunts - strongly deny the allegation and spout references to some vague grey rules, and/or respond with counter accusations of someone else to divert and confuse people until they're not sure or arsed about whether he/she is guilty of said allegation.

Rifkind said it's unrealistic for MPs to live on £67000 salary. It's a bit of a kick in the bollocks to people who have been sanctioned for being late to the job centre and are punished by having their money removed or saying people are better off in work when there 40 plus hours a week job they have had no choice but to take doesn't even pay well enough to cover the rent and food bill together. What's unrealistic these days to politcians. He's a cheeky twat, the shit they have done, the rhetoric they have spewed about tightening belts and we're all in together except of course whe they feel the pinch. Ban any other income for politcians if that means a large selection will not become MPs then good, it shouldn't be a job for those who seek personal wealth. I'd also ban them from joining companies after their tenure that may have benefitted from their role as a politician. It's corrupt to fuck. Have less MPs, increase the wage but improve the transparency and hold them accountable for unethical behavior.

• Upvote 1

I once met him. I was heading down to the Reading Festival aged 17 back in 1995, had long hair down to my stomach, and the train from Preston was absolutely mobbed, forcing me to sit on the floor along with most other people in the carriageway as I was too pissed to stand. About an hour in, someone stood on my hand, I turned round and it was Jack Straw. "Sorry, love", he said, as he ambled off regardless. I also had a shit goatee beard, so all in all it was a bit weird that he called me "love". And a bit ungrateful. "That's the last Straw", I thought, so I drank some Hooch and did some poppers to get over it. Like a lady. '95, lads; crazy days.

(This reads like that knobhead from f**tb*ll365 who tries to write about f***ball whilst referencing the rock scene in the '70s and how he shagged some bird named Susie who turned out to be a man which was disappointing and in a way ties in with the burgeoning failure of a struggling manager. For that, I apologise.)

Fringe festival perchance?

Frank Field? Or is he misunderstood too?

Frank Field is a difficult, abrasive character and a complete politician. However, he has a lifelong commitment to improving the life chances of the poor in this country and is absolutely focused on his own constituency. He still personally answers constituency emails, for example, and is a constant presence in Birkenhead when not required in the smoke.

He was also a strong ally of my colleagues and I when we were working in insufferable circumstances and was very helpful to our cause.

If we had anyone else but him here I'd've stopped voting Labour a while ago. Maybe even stopped voting, actually.

• Upvote 1

I was reading the article on andrew rosindell musing over the fact rachel reeves might take maternity leave after the general election. One of the comments under the article from a chris padwick stated this

"Well Mr Rosindell is unquestionably one of the brighter sparks on the Tory right. He voted against upping benefits for the disabled. His principled guardianship of the public purse however does not extend to himself - he claimed £177,000 expenses in 2013/14 in addition to his £77K salary. We have also bought him a lovely second home - £125,000 expenses claimed for this - a handy 17 miles from his first home so he can visit his mum. What a considerate son! He is on record as being an admirer of the late General Pinochet and his campaign bus pulled up in a disabled parking bay. He loves a foreign junket (£2500 expense claims for flights to Gibraltar and Cyprus) despite being a dedicated Eurosceptic and advocate of detaining asylum seekers. To top it all, this political titan is the chairman of the All Party Flags and heraldry Committee. So when this Disraeli de nos jour speaks, the worls sits up. And laughs. What a prat."

He voted against upping benefits for the disabled yet has rinsed the tax payer for a luxury lifestyle. How can this kind of shit continue.

It's just symptomatic of a wider issue, when the only reason people get up in the morning is money this is what you end up with. An absence of duty and morality, just a means to an end.

IIRC, two-thirds of MPs take a pay cut to enter the House of Commons.

I'd be interested to see how many here would take a pay cut to become an MP.