You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: "Roger Hunt's Testimonial (1971-72)" by Steve Horton

tlw content

Roger Hunt's testimonial was extra special when you consider that he still managed to draw a capacity crowd despite having been away from Anfield for over two years.

hunt1.jpg

Roger left for Bolton in 1969-70 after eleven seasons with Liverpool, but club rules at the time stipulated that players couldn't have a testimonial until they retired from playing. This meant that Roger would have to wait until the end of 1971-2 to be honoured and as such he did not expect a huge turnout.

But Kopites never forget a hero and despite a night of torrential rain the gates were locked half an hour before kickoff with an estimated 10,000 still outside. The official attendance of 55,214 was higher than all but one of the league games at Anfield that season and the largest ever recorded for a testimonial in England.  

They saw Roger hit a hat trick as Liverpool's 1965 FA Cup winning team beat an International XI, comprising many of his team mates from England’s 1966 World Cup winning side, 8-6.

Check out Howard Kendall in the middle of the back row wearing a Liverpool away shirt. Hopefully there's no blues reading this, as they may send the lynch mob after their greatest ever manager!

hunt2.jpg

Season:  1971/72
Opposition: International XI
Result: 8-6
VenueAnfield

Click here to view the article

Roger Hunt was always my dad's favourite player until Craig Johnston came along.  I've got the 65 Cup Final on DVD, started watching it the other day to do a little research on Chris Lawler for that piece I wrote.  Only watched the first half hour or so, but the link up and movement between St John and Hunt was class.  Will probably watch the rest of the game in the next couple of days.

Sir Roger was my first Liverpool hero. Scored twice on my first visit to Anfield. I was gutted when we moved him on as I was sure he still had a season or two left in him for us. No sentimentality at all in the game in those days - players were only as good as their last game.

• Upvote 2

As you might expect from my user name, Roger was & remains my all-time Reds hero. I remember the testimonial & my dad giving the turnstile operator in the boys pen a dropsy to get in when all the other gates had closed. The average age in the boys pen that night must have been northwards of 30.

• Upvote 2

As you might expect from my user name, Roger was & remains my all-time Reds hero. I remember the testimonial & my dad giving the turnstile operator in the boys pen a dropsy to get in when all the other gates had closed. The average age in the boys pen that night must have been northwards of 30.

Ha! I can just picture the boys pen packed with blokes. The fellas on the turnstiles must have made a fortune!

I just remember my mum and dad going that night and bringing me back the programme

• Upvote 1