You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Guest ShoePiss

Brave seeing as he's in Boston for the next few days haha!

Tampa Bay Rays' Luke Scott: Fenway Park a 'dump' - ESPN Boston

"As a baseball player, going there to work, it's a dump," said Scott, whose Rays play the Red Sox on Friday in their Fenway opener. "I mean, it's old. It does have a great feel and nostalgia, but at the end of the day, I'd rather be at a good facility where I can get my work in. A place where I can go hit in the cage, where I have space and it's a little more comfortable to come to work.

"You're packed in like sardines there. It's hard to get your work in. ... You have to go to their weight room if you want to lift. From a fan's perspective, it's probably pretty cool to go see a game at a historic park. But from a player's point of view, it's not a place where you want to go to work."

For Scott, who was a member of the Orioles when Baltimore beat Boston on the last day of last season to help prevent the Red Sox from making the playoffs, it's the second time in as many months he's taken a shot at the Sox. During spring training, he said keeping Boston out of the playoffs was even more pleasing because of his disdain for its fans.

"Just their arrogance," Scott told MLB.com at the time. "The fans come in and they take over the city. They're ruthless, they're vulgar, they cause trouble, they talk about your family, swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them.

"Then when things like [the last game of last season, a 4-3 walk-off Orioles victory] happen, you celebrate even more. You go to St. Louis -- classiest fans in the game. You do well, there's no vulgarity. You know what? You don't wish them bad."

Vulgarity? Fuck Luke Scott, the rednecked pig rapist.

"Scott enjoys hunting and is a firearms enthusiast. He is a supporter of greater personal responsibility and smaller government.

"In 2010, during the dispute regarding President Obama's birth certificate, Scott said that Obama was not born in the United States. Scott added: 'I was born here. If someone accuses me of not being born here, I can go -- within 10 minutes -- to my filing cabinet and I can pick up my real birth certificate and I can go, "See? Look! Here it is. Here it is." The man has dodged everything. He dodges questions, he doesn't answer anything. And why? Because he's hiding something."

Guest ShoePiss

Just watched Buster Posey steal a base, he's been hitting well all season but seeing him run flat out is great. He's back 100%.

Currently pretty comfortable against the Phillies, 4-2 up btm 6th.

Guest ShoePiss

Great pitching by both sides tonight, that's a big win for the Giants. They really worked hard for it and the celebration at the end said it all. Brilliant stuff.

Guest ShoePiss

Boston wearing all white today, must be to do with the 100 year thing. I don't like those all white caps! Wouldn't mind being there today though, sounds like Boston and New York has had some unreal weather this week.

Guest ShoePiss
Both teams are wearing throwback uniforms matching the uniforms both teams wore on Fenway's opening 100 years ago.

Bet that game went faster than this one. I'm beginning to loathe Yankee/Red Sox game now. 4 hours average time is stupid.

Haha I've just looked up that game against the Highlanders and it went to the 11th inning so who knows.

The time doesn't bother me to be honest as baseball is a background thing to me, especially at this time of year. I'm always doing something else while it's on. It's one of the things I really like about it, I often have the radio commentary on mlb.tv rather than the tv broadcast one. It's why love watching games in the bar too, you can have good conversation, beers, crack some peanuts and still keep up with the game going on :)

With the time difference I can imagine it's a pain in the arse for you though.

What a catch that was by Repko to stop the double.

Haha I've just looked up that game against the Highlanders and it went to the 11th inning so who knows.

The time doesn't bother me to be honest as baseball is a background thing to me, especially at this time of year. I'm always doing something else while it's on. It's one of the things I really like about it, I often have the radio commentary on mlb.tv rather than the tv broadcast one. It's why love watching games in the bar too, you can have good conversation, beers, crack some peanuts and still keep up with the game going on :)

With the time difference I can imagine it's a pain in the arse for you though.

What a catch that was by Repko to stop the double.

Yeah you nailed it. When it's 3am and Josh Beckett is taking 30 seconds per pitch it's a right ball ache. Baseball in bars is ace though, I can see why'd you be loving that.

He's no media darling beyond ESPN where he used to work. He is similar to Hodgson in that he's never won anything, is regarded as a safe pair of hands, says things he shouldn't in the media and worked abroad (in Japan) to broaden his knowledge.

He's a dick, I used to like him as an analyst but would never have wanted him anywhere near my team. Then they went and hired him.

He's already alienated popular clubhouse players, mismanaged his bullpen to losses and generally struggled against the Boston magnifying glass. I will say though that anyone would struggle with the Red Sox starting rotation, it really is awful.

The ump gave that to him. No way Ryan went around, he checked his swing. Fair play to him though, heck of an achievement.

Agreed. There was certainly a sense that the umpire didn't really want to make the "wrong" call after all the hate Jim Joyce got for making his mistake for Galarraga's perfect game back in 2010.

The Red Sox are really hitting new lows. Blowing a 9 run lead to the Yankees is just... I don't even know.

No way Valentine will still be in charge come the end of the season, even if there is something of a turnaround at Fenway.

There's a big shake up due in Boston in my opinion. Worst pitching staff they've had that I can recall over the past few years, and barring Pedroia, Gonzalez and to a lesser extent, Youkilis, the offensive players in the active roster are somewhat lacking as well. I know that Ellsbury is being hugely missed, and I believe that Crawford is too good a player to have another season like he had last time round.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss

Battle of the Bay is going well, currently 8-1 up, top of the 5th. I love the battle of the bay series, almost makes me want to move back there..almost.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to watch Rays @ Yankees twice last week. Fucking loved it. Got into baseball last time I was in America and once I understood it really started to enjoy it.

I'm becoming a bit of an amerifag and the baseball summarised a lot of things about the USA that makes me smile. The standing up for the national anthem, kudos for any troops in the audience and the 4th inning singing of 'Take me out to the ballgame' made me chuckle and not in a nasty patronising way. It was just... sweet?

I didn't have crackerjacks but I did have numerous expensive buds and the hotdogs were ace. The baseball was one of my highlights of an amazing but tiring time in NYC.

1st Game Seat (I had sports bar pass so could sit where I wanted)

yankees.jpg

2nd Game Seat

yankees2.jpg