You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Guest ShoePiss

Just watched the Redsox-Oriels and Yankees-Rays games at the same time, brilliant stuff. Well worth the mlb.tv subscription for those two games alone. Rays showed great character to win tonight.

Fucking Red Sox blew it over the last month. 20 losses in September, I believe I heard. Ouch.

Last July, I went to see the Giants play. They obviously went on to win the World Series. This season, I went to Fenway Park... with less "effect". Lackey was playing that day, by the way, and was taken out of the game after 2.1 innings; he really is shit...

Well, well. Both the Braves and the Red Sox choked in the stretch. I thought the wild card races would be close, but at the time, I couldn't see either side being overhauled. How wrong could I have been?

It'll be interesting to see if both sides can offload their respective over paid, under performing, veteran pitchers. I mean, who's going to want to take on their respective contracts? There's no way either will simply be released, as paying off their contracts will be too costly...

There could be something in that! I watched it until it was 2-2, and it could have been better if Aviles didn't try to be clever and steal 2nd with Ellsbury on the plate and 2 out. A possible 4-2 lead at that point would have relieved some of the pressure in a tight game. The Rays did brilliantly to come back from 7-0 down and take the Wild Card. As season collapses go, Abs should be more than familiar with this situation.

atk jumped on the red sox bandwagon, and it toppled over.

He's a Padres man, as far as I'm concerned. Switching/turncoating isn't allowed.

I remain a Giants fan, with certain (f**tb*ll-related) sympathies for the Red Sox. I even wore a certain f**tb*ll shirt to Fenway Park, but nobody seemed to notice, care, or, more likely, know.

One memorable aspect of Fenway, by the way: an old guy buying beer in the queue next to me was carded. He responded, not best pleased, "I'm 74 years old, ma'am!" "Sorry, those are the rules."

Can anybody top 74 years old?

John Henry just sacked Francona

Confirmed? Perhaps paying the price for not making the post-season in 2010, and despite massive investment, missing out again this year. Seems harsh given what little I know about his reputation and standing in the game. As long as his replacement is better (no idea who as I can only name him or Joe Girardi) it could be a worthwhile gamble.

Confirmed? Perhaps paying the price for not making the post-season in 2010, and despite massive investment, missing out again this year. Seems harsh given what little I know about his reputation and standing in the game. As long as his replacement is better (no idea who as I can only name him or Joe Girardi) it could be a worthwhile gamble.

Not officially but everybody (local/national media) seems to be running with it. Some saying Henry decision, others saying mutual decision, possibly Francona could be off to Chicago Cubs.

I don't follow that much baseball but I know the same thing happened the previous Red Sox manager and any time I hear anybody talking about Grady Little they say he was fired.

That's because Grady Little was a fucking idiot....Francona is well liked, so he leaves by 'mutual consent'.

You can't compare Tito to Grady Little. Grady Little was a grade A douchebag. I'm sad that Francona's gone but someone had to carry the can for that collapse down the stretch and it wasn't going to be the players and it wasn't going to be Theo (even though he deserves a lot of the blame for the starting rotation mess).

Theo has to earn his money in the off season as he tries to jettison Lackey, decide what to with Big Papi and Youk, work out if Papelbon is worth the $40million he's due and find two new starting pitchers.

It was a sleek machine when it was running but as soon as it crashed it just became another wreck that needs an overhaul.

Officially parted ways, Sox decided not exercise his contract option. From what I've read it seems Tito was fine with that too, perhaps thinking his time had come to a natural conclusion. I loved Tito, seemed a great guy, all the best to him. I think he'll end up in Chicago at either the Cubs or White Sox. I don't know who Boston go for now, in an ideal world I'd love Joe Maddon but that's a non-starter I'd say.

The Blue Jays nicked your manager in waiting.

Henry had a yachting mishap as well. Ended up with a neck brace.

Interesting times in New England... Patriots blow 21 pt lead against the Bills, the most bizarre three minutes in baseball ever and Henry in a yachitng mishap.

If this wasn't the GF I'd mention a certain drought ending soonish....

Guest ShoePiss

Yachting mishap makes it sound like he was sailing on the high seas in a sloop or something, he has a 164ft motoryacht, too many Sam Adams? It was up for sale earlier this year for about $28m.