You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

The top two sides in the American League (Houston Astros and the Yankees) will face off in the ALCS for a place in the World Series. The top two sides in the National League (LA Dodgers and Atlanta Braves) both got knocked out in the NLDS by the Washington Nationals and St Louis Cardinals respectively. St Louis historically have a very good record in the play-offs whereas the Nationals are one of two MLB teams (the other being Seattle Mariners) never to reach a World Series. That could change this year.

Both match-ups are very close to call, but on paper this year's World Series ought to be heading for either Houston or New York. Houston have been the most consistent AL side of the past few years whereas the Yankees can run away with games if they get their batters firing and their pitchers staying in control.

Red Sox were fucking shit this year. Batting wasn't to much of a problem but they kept haemorrhaging runs thanks to inconsistent and out-of-form pitching. They also lost more games than they won at Fenway, and lost 24 more regular season games than last year. They now have to decide if they can afford to keep some of their star players because their payroll is currently the highest in MLB and they've very few prospects in their farm system.

Seattle Mariners are now the only current MLB team never to reach a World Series, after the Nationals thrashed the Cardinals 4-0 to win the NLCS. Astros are 2-1 up on the Yankees in the ALCS.

The Nationals have done way better than expected this year considering they let one of their star players (Bryce Harper) leave before the start of the season. The other big name (pitcher Max Scherzer) is still there and finally returns to the big stage.

Nationals go 2-0 up on Astros in Houston, and now have a (possible) 3-game spell back in Washington in which to clinch a maiden World Series. Scherzer and Strasburg have got the better of Cole and Verlander in the battle of the elite pitchers, and now that National League rules will apply for these next 2-3 games (Washington only need 2 more wins as it's best-of-7), the advantage is very much with the team from the capital.

Astros have levelled the series 2-2 in Washington. One more game in the capital and the series will now definitely head back to Houston for at least one more game. A win for either side in game 5 will leave the other having to win game 6 to take the series to a decider.

20 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Astros take a 3-2 lead heading back to Houston. So far, the away team is dominating matches so if that were to continue, then the Nationals will win it.

For various reasons I have not followed at all this season. 

Normal home field is an advantage, were the Astros and Nationals good at home during the season and the series an anomaly or was this expected ? 

Astros had both the best home record and the best overall record out of everybody in the regular season, so going to form you'd think they would dominate at home. Nationals got through as a wild card from the NL. Post-season pressure does funny things to teams though. Astros should be favourites now (if they weren't already) as they have experience of winning it all 2 years ago.

• Upvote 1

It's Greinke for the Astros against Scherzer for the Nationals in the decider. Scherzer is nursing an injury and will probably have to go at least 5 innings, so if I was the Nationals coach I'd be wanting to ensure the bullpen is absolutely on it and raring to go. That said, I think all the pressure is on the Astros to avoid a clean sweep at home.

Bad decision from the Astros manager not bringing in Cole after Greinke. It's game 7, you have to put your best guy out there.

Nationals, on the other hand, were basically the team of destiny. Talent wise they shouldn't have won the whole thing, but sometimes it all comes together for a team.

Outfielder Bryce Harper, who was one of their key players and had been offered a huge new contract, left the Nationals for Philly earlier this year, believing they had a better chance of making the play-offs than the side from the capital. He's just watched his old team win the big one while his new team finished nowhere. It's a bit like Michael Owen in 2004!

I saw them beat the Phillies in 2018.

At first, I assumed the Phillies were just shite. Turns out I was just half right. I think that Bryce Harper chap was playing for the Nationals at the time. Even to my unlearned ass, he stood out a mile.

I also went to see the Red Sox play the Cleveland Indians at Fenway earlier that summer when they were smashing teams. Typically, they didn't score a run.