You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

I think most people would like to see Kershaw vs Verlander but you can understand why the managers wouldn't go for it.

Kershaw vs Verlander in game 7 would be the ultimate pitching contest.

Rich Hill vs Verlander in game 6 will be good. Hill is a very underrated pitcher.

Darvish vs McCullers penciled in for game 7 if the rotations stay as they are. Though I'd imagine that every pitcher, other than Hill & Verlander, would be available out of the bullpen if needed, so we could possibly see Kershaw take the ball in the middle/late innings to get to Jansen.

The Houston Astros are World Series champions! They beat the Dodgers in the deciding game 5-1 to win their maiden title. Just like in 2013 when the Red Sox gained extra motivation and their fanbase was galvanised following the Boston Marathon bombing, the Astros have gained extra motivation following the extensive damage to Houston following the recent hurricane.

The Houston Astros are World Series champions! They beat the Dodgers in the deciding game 5-1 to win their maiden title. Just like in 2013 when the Red Sox gained extra motivation and their fanbase was galvanised following the Boston Marathon bombing, the Astros have gained extra motivation following the extensive damage to Houston following the recent hurricane.

The Saints won the Super Bowl not long after New Orleans was flooded too didn't they? 

The Saints won the Super Bowl not long after New Orleans was flooded too didn't they? 

Yep. I mentioned it recently.

So often in sport, a team can be galvanised by a tragic event on their doorstep. I think the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl not long after Katrina, and the Red Sox rode the wave of 'Boston Strong' sentiment following the marathon bombing, to claim the World Series that year. Given what's happened in and around Houston with Hurricane Harvey, this could end up being the Astros' year.

• 10 months later...

Post-season time again.

In the AL, the Yankees and the A's will play the Wild Card game for the chance to face the Red Sox in the Division Series (ALDS). In the other ALDS, last year's World Series champions the Astros will play the previous year's World Series runners-up the Indians.

In the NL, the World Series champions of 2 years ago - the Cubs - will face the Rockies in the Wild Card game, with the winner going on to face the Brewers in the NLDS. In the other NLDS, the Dodgers (last year's World Series runners-up) take on the Braves, who've had quite a turnaround from the past few years when they were among the shittest sides in MLB.

The AL has home field advantage again for the World Series (the AL champion will play at home in games 1, 2, 6 and 7 while games 3, 4 and 5 would take place at the NL champion's home) having won the All Star Game in July. For the first time in 15 years though, the NL won more inter-league games than the AL.

The Red Sox actually set a new club record for regular season wins (108 out of 162), and that was the best record in the whole of MLB this year. Indeed, 3 of the 5 AL teams to qualify for the post-season recorded 100 wins or more, whereas none of the NL sides achieved this feat. The Yankees and the A's both had better records than any of the NL's post-season qualifiers and yet they are playing for a Wild Card game because they still finished behind the Red Sox and the Astros in their respective divisions.

49 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Go Tribe !

One correctiion though mate, last year we didn't finish runners up, we were dumped out in the 1st round by those roided up smack cheats the Yankees.

Read it again. I said the Dodgers were runners-up last year. Cleveland were runners-up the previous year, ie the year before that.

I’ve gotten into baseball this year, been watching the Yankees and Red Sox in the past couple of months. Still not sure of all of the rules like but still, I’m really enjoying it.

The Yankees play the Red Sox tonight in the ALDS game 1. Let’s go Yankees! 

22 minutes ago, Ian Sea said:

I’ve gotten into baseball this year, been watching the Yankees and Red Sox in the past couple of months. Still not sure of all of the rules like but still, I’m really enjoying it.

The Yankees play the Red Sox tonight in the ALDS game 1. Let’s go Yankees! 

Some background for you;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankees–Red_Sox_rivalry

Go Sox