You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Was finding it hard to sleep the other night so came down and threw the tele on, flicked through the channels and came across Chicago Cubs v St Louis Cardinals.

Never understood the rules but just started watching it, got hooked on the game and sort of got a grip of the rules.

Now watching games on ESPN, and looking for a team to support. Anybody know the name of the team that hates the Texas Rangers the most?

I'll follow them I think.

I know virtually nothing about the game itself and I couldn't tell you a single one of their players, but I like the Boston Red Sox, purely because of their hatred for the New York Yankees. I took that decision simply because they signed that merchandising agreement with United a few years back.

I suggest you also take an interest in them, atk.

Good man. The Rangers suck, but if you were looking for a rival I guess the Angels would be your team. They're going to be in the playoffs, so you'll have a team to root for. For the love of God don't support the Yankees or Boston Red Sox...annoying fans, nonstop media attention. They think the world revolves around them, but pretty much everyone else in the country hates them with a passion.

The Angels are an American League team, which I would recommend following...but if you were to support a National League team I'd definitely go for the St. Louis Cardinals. They have a great history, do exceedingly well with the limited resources they have, and have THE greatest hitter of the past decade, Albert Pujols.

So my suggestions are either the Los Angeles Angels or the St. Louis Cardinals.

I'm jealous of anyone who can choose what team they want to support. Me, I was born in a city with one of the oldest teams in the league, but one that hasn't won the Series since 1948. We came close in 1995 and 1997, but lost heartbreakingly.

Playoffs start in a few weeks....it's the best time of the year. Good luck!

Thanks for your post, whats the difference between an American League team and a national league team? The beckhams put me off supporting a Los Angeles team to be honest.

And I did want those Cardinals to win the other night.

All the teams in Major League Baseball are either in the American League or the National League....historically there were two separate baseball leagues, but eventually they merged. But baseball is still separated into two leagues. At the end of the season, the best team from each league plays in the World Series (yea yea, I know the "World" Series is a joke, but that's what they call it) to decide the season champion.

There's only one major difference in the American League (AL) versus National League (NL), and that's that in the NL the pitcher must also bat. In the AL the pitcher doesn't normally bat, because there is a designated hitter (DH) who takes his place. This -- in my opinion -- is for the best, because the pitcher is without a doubt always the worst hitter on the team and is pretty much an automatic out. I'd much rather see professional hitters bat than pitchers. But it's a matter of preference, and a slight difference in the way NL managers have to approach game decisions.

I got into it in similar circumstances; good sleepless late night viewing.

For some reason always had a soft sport for the Phillies, who actually came good last year.

When over in the states I visited Fenway Park for a tour (it was a few days prior to opening weekend) and then made it to watch the NY Mets on Opening Sunday. The tickets are cheap as shit (well, in the Bleechers and some other areas). Must have cost be about $25 for a ticket (about 17 quid) but there were tickets going for half that. also enjoyed getting tanked up with seat-service of jumbo beers and hot dogs.

Who is your team by the way?

The Cleveland Indians of the American League. We've won in 1920 and 1948, and have an embarrassing caricature of a Native American as our logo. But I live and die with them (well, just die).

You might have seen a movie that made fun of the team's reputation as a perennial loser -- Major League with Charlie Sheen. It was a funny movie, and ironically we got really really good a few years after it came out. Now we stink again. Oh well.

Basically, the wealthy teams in baseball buy up all the good players when they become free agents. That's why supporting Boston or the New York teams is like supporting a corporation such as Wal-Mart or McDonalds. No thanks.

Didn't Tom Hicks buy somebody for big money a few years ago? and is his team shit?

He gave a huge contract to Alex Rodriguez -- 10 years, $250 million -- who won several MVPs with the Rangers, but the team was horrible, and Rodriguez was subsequently traded to the Yankees. It was an awful, awful business decision, paying the largest contract in baseball history for 1 player, while he could only afford to put together an average team after he shelled out for Rodriguez. In contrast, paying that kind of money for a player is just a drop in the bucket for the Yankees, who have an outrageous payroll.

Good reason to pick a team, and if you ever go out there for a visit you'll be through the roof b/c it's a great city. Not a great team at the moment (or historically) however...they're way, way out of the playoff race. It might be a few years before they get good again (they made the playoffs a few years ago and made the World Series against the Yankees in 1998).

You could always pick them as your National League team, and a contending club like St. Louis or the Angels as your AL team. But I respect someone who doesn't go glory-hunting and pick the damn Red Sox or Yankees.

I'll stick with San Diego only, off to the club website to buy a baseball cap.

that's not a bad choice, actually.

they've never really been awful, but then again hardly ever win anything.

they have a crazy chicken for a mascot and their uniforms have thankfully improved in the last few years.

steve garvey and tony gwinn are your idols.

nl_1978_sandiego.gif

0416_large.jpg

I started following baseball about 19 years ago as a kid, and followed Pittsburgh. They had some great players in Barry Bonds( pre steroids) Bobby Bonilla and Andy Van Slyke. Then Bonds went to the Giants, Bonila went to the Mets and the Pirates have had about 18 losing seasons since. But it could be worse i could have chosen the Cubs. 101 years and counting without winning the World Series.

You'll get stung by customs on those, as I found out to my cost a few years ago when I bought some BoSox stuff. TA sports are a UK dealer who sell a good range of MLB stuff.[/quote

Why did you not say earlier, you taffy twat.

Going to NYC early Nov, any ideas if I can get SDP gear in NYC?

Because I'm posting on my phone and it's easy browsing the forum and replying to messages.

I think they have a MLB shop in New York, your best bet is to google it.