You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NBA 2014 Thread

Lee909

I don't think they will. For all our issues this year there is some great value in the Lakers squad. We should be able to retain some excellent young players and there is some good value out there in FA too (Deng top of the list for me and a number of quality PG options - Bledsoe, Stephenson, Thomas, Robinson). Gasol at £8-10m would still be great too.

In terms of stars, I agree 2015 is the place, Lebron (if the unlikely opt-out happens) is the only one that gets me all that interested - although if Monroe were to be available that would be a no brainer. but there are a load of good support cast types out there.

Biggest issue for us is dropping Nash.

The Cavs won the draft lottery again, third time in four years. Absolute bullshit that they keep getting chances to fuck it up. However the real winner last night was Mallory Edens, daughter of the Bucks owner; she won the internet. 

BoHr16uIIAAE4nZ.jpg

• Upvote 1

Who'd you take at 6th then, Jules?

The Mock Drafts all seem to have been thrown into chaos by the combine. Personally, I'd quite like Smart as I think he's going to be a leader and is what we need with Kobe waning. But then Vonleh, Randle and Gordon are all intriguing in their own way. I'd take Randle out of all of them as he has the ability to adapt in the lane, some of his moves look like those old Elgin highlight reels.

Convinced the Cavs will go with a big man (although Wiggins is by far the more sensible choice, Cavs always find a way to fuck up - I still think they're looking at Lebron next year), Embid being the one this draft. 76ers and the Bucks both need quality on the wings and Orlando need a ball handler next to Oladipo, so Embid, Wiggins, Parker and Exum makes sense for the top four. Beyond that it's a mess as there are six or seven really good prospects.

Honestly, I'd trade it in a package with possibly Green or Bradley to get Kevin Love. Go with him and Rondo next year and then try for one of next year's free agency class. I'm so fucking annoyed with the lottery that I genuinely think the Celtics have some weird hex on themselves in it. I also don't think Ainge is as good a drafter as people make out. If he does draft, all signs point to Aaron Gordon and I'd be reasonably happy with him but I'm really intrigued by what Randle could do in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wrong. Spurs... Wow. Not relying on Parker as much as they sometimes do and instead the great ball movement from the front court is the difference maker. Also Leonard showing why he's going to be their next all star player.

• 2 weeks later...

Draft... what draft?

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/24/reports-lebron-opts-out-of-deal-with-heat/?ls=iref:nbahpt13a

Miami Heat star LeBron James is doing the same thing that New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony did a day ago: opt out of his contract with his current team and become an unrestricted free agent.

Holy shit.

I do think he'll land with Phil at the Knicks. There's one other major franchise with the space and finance to land him though... do it Mitch!

Flip Nash to the suns for a pick and cash considerations, get Embid/Randle at #7 and pick up a guard at #18 (LaVine, Payton, Napier...). Then you have the walking vet min magnet to help land some class for the bench spots.

Either way we're getting a decent FA or two I think, Bledsoe, Stephenson, Monroe, Deng or Anthony.

• Upvote 1

The Clippers have over $70m on the books next year and no owner (an offer - but Lebron will have a new home long before that's settled). Can't see it.

Knicks probably need to drop Amare to make it work, Rockets need to drop a few pieces to make it work.

Lakers have $35m commited so far next season, a huge TV deal to back them against taxes and they're hopeful of dropping Nash's $9m. We're in a strong place, if we pick up the right pieces around the draft and make a good coach appointment. If we land Lebron, a deep line-up will follow as free agents will want to compete and will accept lower deals to do so (could well see Deng/Pau sign for mid range money in that scenario, for example).

Of course, he probably wants to stay with the Heat, but they have to get the space to offer him the max AND keep a strong enough squad around him.