You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

I don't understand why they bother with interim titles when the very first "defense" of it will be a unification bout anyway. Just call it a number 1 contender bout and have done with it

Money. Money. And money.

Dana says its because Aldo has backed out of 5 title defenses and he was cleared to fight in his medical though.

• 2 weeks later...

So, will Mendes batter this absolute cunt Mc Gregor tonight?

Seen the weigh in, Mc Gregor looks like a crackhead. Does he normally find it hard making weight?

I'm tempted to lump on Mendes, but i have little or no knowledge of the ufc.

So, will Mendes batter this absolute cunt Mc Gregor tonight?

Seen the weigh in, Mc Gregor looks like a crackhead. Does he normally find it hard making weight?

I'm tempted to lump on Mendes, but i have little or no knowledge of the ufc.

McGregor is a massive featherweight. A lot of the hardened MMA fans favour Mendes because McGregor's never really fought anyone in the top 10 and because he struggles with wrestlers, Mendes has one of the best ground games in UFC. Mendes has also only ever been beaten by Aldo. But in this case my own personal opinion is McGregor stops him, you can read too much into the stats. McGregor will have a large weight and height advantage and his striking is top level, plus he's had the full time to prepare whereas Mendes was a late replacement.

Knowing my luck Mendes will take him to the ground straight away and hold him there pretty much the entire fight, maybe even ground and pound him, but fuck it, i'm going for McGregor.

• Upvote 1

McGregor is a massive featherweight. A lot of the hardened MMA fans favour Mendes because McGregor's never really fought anyone in the top 10 and because he struggles with wrestlers, Mendes has one of the best ground games in UFC. Mendes has also only ever been beaten by Aldo. But in this case my own personal opinion is McGregor stops him, you can read too much into the stats. McGregor will have a large weight and height advantage and his striking is top level, plus he's had the full time to prepare whereas Mendes was a late replacement.

Knowing my luck Mendes will take him to the ground straight away and hold him there pretty much the entire fight, maybe even ground and pound him, but fuck it, i'm going for McGregor.

He looks totally weight drained, plus I'd imagine he's the biggest man in the featherweight division.

He hasn't beat anyone decent yet, has he?

I seen the 2nd Aldo-Mendes fight, Mendes gave a good account of himself. It was close from what i remember.

You have put doubt in my mind about lumping on Mendes. Do you think Mendes can make him submit? Is that how Mc Gregor lost the two bouts he lost?

He looks totally weight drained, plus I'd imagine he's the biggest man in the featherweight division. He hasn't beat anyone decent yet, has he? I seen the 2nd Aldo-Mendes fight, Mendes gave a good account of himself. It was close from what i remember. You have put doubt in my mind about lumping on Mendes. Do you think Mendes can make him submit? Is that how Mc Gregor lost the two bouts he lost?

He's beaten fringe contenders and one top 10, arguably top 5 in Max Holloway. He toyed with him and the only reason he didn't finish him was because he suffered a serious knee injury during the fight. He got choked out by Joseph Duffy in Cage Warriors a long time ago and Duffy's just recently signed with the UFC and is an up and coming fighter in his own right, but McGregor's improved dramatically since then.

Mendes can definitely make him submit because his ground game is much superior to McGregor's, but if Conor's take down defence is on point then i can't really see mini Mendes out striking McGregor. Thats the dynamic of the fight, the wrestler versus the striker. My opinion, which i can only speak for myself is the striker's too big and too strong in this instance.  But then again i picked Stiverne to beat Wilder with a similar dynamic and Stiverne ended up in hospital, so shows you what i know.

He makes it look so easy...great headline fights. Frankie Edgar was the more deserving challenger in my opinion and he has always been the smaller fighter in every fight, so he is used to getting past a reach disadvantage. I hope we see that eventually.

Only watched the main card but it was a fucking belter.

The Lawler / MacDonald fight was breathless and gruesome. Great great fight.

The barney before, Denis somefucker against Jordan somecunt was also a mental bloodbath. Great finish to that.

I thought Mendes was really game and put on a great show against McGregor (a worthy winner), but I thought the ref Herb Dean stopped the fight too soon. I was wondering if Dana had been whispering in his ear, but Dean's a shit ref imo, often misjudging the severity of a good battering.

Just watched the rest of the card, what an event that was!

Not sure how Lawler /Macdonald was 3-1 to Macdonald from every scorecard. I had it 2-2.

Agree with you CD, Dean has gone awful in recent events. I recall so many early stoppages which were ridiculous made by him!

I also think it's an element of fixing the fight. I know people will find that ridiculous. However, imagine if McGregor had lost this fight? All that potential money the UFC would miss out on...

• Upvote 1

McGregor got cocky and allowed himself to be taken down too much but he wasn't ever in trouble. He was taking huge elbows and still laughing in Mendes ear saying "is that all you got?". Rested until he could get to his feet and finished the fight with his signature strikes. And he did it within 2 rounds like he called. You can hate the mouth but he's an awesome fighter. He'll clear this division and move up within a year.

• Upvote 2