You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

Khabib v Gaethje this weekend is a decent viewing time. Main card kicks off at 8pm with the main event expected around 10.30pm.

Cant remember the last time I didnt have to get up/stay up till 3am or avoid social media until I've watched it the next day.

A proper live event again. Ooooowwwer.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

Khabib v Gaethje this weekend is a decent viewing time. Main card kicks off at 8pm with the main event expected around 10.30pm.

Cant remember the last time I didnt have to get up/stay up till 3am or avoid social media until I've watched it the next day.

A proper live event again. Ooooowwwer.

BT Sport have stuck it in PPV the cunts 

Just now, Elite said:

BT Sport have stuck it in PPV the cunts 

FFS. I thought they'd try that the fucking turds but assumed as they are charging for a ball sport - coupled with no fans inside the arena, therefore completely taking away the whole PPV experience - they wouldn't dare.

Never underestimate greed clearly.

18 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

FFS. I thought they'd try that the fucking turds but assumed as they are charging for a ball sport - coupled with no fans inside the arena, therefore completely taking away the whole PPV experience - they wouldn't dare.

Never underestimate greed clearly.

It's becoming a joke all this PPV. I'm refusing to pay it anymore, I'm not keen on IPTV due to it being a bit unreliable but it sure is better than being ripped off for every decent bit of sport. I pay about £50 a month for Sky and BT Sport but they still want more. Utter greedy cunts.

• Upvote 1

On 19/10/2020 at 11:46, Elite said:

I think Volkanovski beats him comfortably. Ortega looked better but the Korean Zombie was poor.

Yeah I still see Volkanovski winning. I think he's becoming quite underrated now after the Holloway fights.

Didn't realise it was PPV this weekend ffs! Ideal main event time as well the bastards. I refuse to pay any PPV for anything so will have to find a stream, get pissed off that the stream is shit and moan I missed the fights haha

Saw this on twitter the other day. Khabib just doesn't get hit, so we don't really know what would happen if Gaethje managed to keep the fight standing up.

I'm rooting for The Highlight, but at the same time I massively respect what Khabib does and I think an undefeated MMA career is what he deserves.

20201020_111343.jpg

Shows its still more sports entertainment than a sport though. Conor still sits in 4th in  rankings with one win in 4 years, but because Leon isn't popular with fans he's booted out the rankings by doing what others have done when denied title fights he was told was due

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Shows its still more sports entertainment than a sport though. Conor still sits in 4th in  rankings with one win in 4 years, but because Leon isn't popular with fans he's booted out the rankings by doing what others have done when denied title fights he was told was due

It's more the fact he's fluked his way into the top 4, then refused to fight anyone below him. thinking he can just wait for his turn at the title once all the others have finished fighting each other. 

I believe that if you hold a ranking then you have a responsibility to defend that ranking, not to avoid fighting incase you lose it. 

I'm not as arsed about the Conor situation, he's at least shown some willing to fight, has fought this year and has another lined up vs Poirier. 

Plus he's Conor McGregor, different rules apply to him because he's so valuable. 

How do you fluke your way into the ranking by winning 10 out of 11 fights and beating fighters highly ranked at the time. Its not just him turning down fights but those around him refusing to fight him. None of Masvidal, Colby want to fight him. 

They've also removed him after his fight with Woodley was only scrapped due to covid. He was supposed to fight a top 3 guy, he can't be blamed for that

Having different rules for Conor kind of makes the point the rankings and sport doesn't get run as a sport

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

How do you fluke your way into the ranking by winning 10 out of 11 fights and beating fighters highly ranked at the time. Its not just him turning down fights but those around him refusing to fight him. None of Masvidal, Colby want to fight him. 

They've also removed him after his fight with Woodley was only scrapped due to covid. He was supposed to fight a top 3 guy, he can't be blamed for that

Having different rules for Conor kind of makes the point the rankings and sport doesn't get run as a sport

Fluke might have been the wrong word but he was on the right side of some fortunate circumstances.

He fought shite to get that on a decent run, then got a win over RDA to get into the top 4, leon was 10th before that. 

RDA was only ranked 4th himself because of his win over Lawler in 2017, he's won one fight since, against Kevin Lee on his welterweight debut, and is now ranked 11th. 

You're only as good as your last fight, and as it stands Edwards biggest win and last win is against the guy ranked 11th.

Imagine if Kevin Lee beat Dan hooker then refuses to fight again until he gets the title fight vs Khabib, he'd get laughed at for being scared of losing his place, you can't just stand still waiting for everyone above you to fight each other then expect it to be handed to you because it's your turn. 

20201022_203942.jpg

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Fluke might have been the wrong word but he was on the right side of some fortunate circumstances.

He fought shite to get that on a decent run, then got a win over RDA to get into the top 4, leon was 10th before that. 

RDA was only ranked 4th himself because of his win over Lawler in 2017, he's won one fight since, against Kevin Lee on his welterweight debut, and is now ranked 11th. 

You're only as good as your last fight, and as it stands Edwards biggest win and last win is against the guy ranked 11th.

Imagine if Kevin Lee beat Dan hooker then refuses to fight again until he gets the title fight vs Khabib, he'd get laughed at for being scared of losing his place, you can't just stand still waiting for everyone above you to fight each other then expect it to be handed to you because it's your turn. 

20201022_203942.jpg

Why would you take a fight against two guys not in the top 10 in Neal and Chimaev?

They might have offered Colby but no way had he agreed to that fight as it makes no sense. Im not a  fan of Edwards but he is on the shitty end of the stick here because he isn't a big card seller. While Conor sits 11 P4P and has gone up a spot to 4 in the 155 rankings by winning one fight in 4 years and being 3-2 in his last 5.

Look at Gilbert Burns who said he would not take a fight with Edwards while he waits for a title shot, Edwards has said had he beat Woodley he would have got a title shot and according to that reports has gone from that to offers of fighting the number 11 or unranked opponent. He has asked for Masvidal who wants nothing to do with him,he called out Burns.

My point isn't really to defend Edwards but was more it shows how the supposed 'independent' rankings and complete bullshit and just filled in by yes men doing what the UFC want, that takes away some legitimacy from the whole thing

42 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why would you take a fight against two guys not in the top 10 in Neal and Chimaev?

They might have offered Colby but no way had he agreed to that fight as it makes no sense. Im not a  fan of Edwards but he is on the shitty end of the stick here because he isn't a big card seller. While Conor sits 11 P4P and has gone up a spot to 4 in the 155 rankings by winning one fight in 4 years and being 3-2 in his last 5.

Look at Gilbert Burns who said he would not take a fight with Edwards while he waits for a title shot, Edwards has said had he beat Woodley he would have got a title shot and according to that reports has gone from that to offers of fighting the number 11 or unranked opponent. He has asked for Masvidal who wants nothing to do with him,he called out Burns.

My point isn't really to defend Edwards but was more it shows how the supposed 'independent' rankings and complete bullshit and just filled in by yes men doing what the UFC want, that takes away some legitimacy from the whole thing

Well money talks, and there's far more money to be made from fighters as far down as 7th fighting each other than for any of them fighting Leon, he's the odd man out until he does something about that. 

If he wants to be a bigger draw then he needs to be active, keep his name out there, and maybe do something impressive, Masvidal went from relatively unknown to casuals to being one of the biggest names in the sport in the space of two fights.

Chimaev is suddenly a big name because of his quick back to back fights, that shit gives Dana a hard-on and gets you the bigger fights, every other ranked fighter has fought at least once since Leon's last fight, most have fought twice, Burns has fought four times since we last saw Leon. 

If Leon had accepted somebody below him just to stay active, and issued a beatdown then fans would be begging Dana to give him the title shot. Thompson even offered him a fight over twitter and he literally told him to fuck off. A big win over Thompson would make the other fighters take notice, puts bigger numbers on the PPV and puts a bigger prize on his head, that's when he gets the big fights. 

The Burns situation is slightly different, I do think he should fight instead of waiting, but he's already down as Usmans next fight, he's already earned the fight and he doesn't have any incentive to risk losing it. Leon was always at least one more fight away from the title shot, and even if they made an interim belt it would probably be between Burns and Colby anyway,further proving how irrelevant Leon is at the moment. 

This will probably be good for Leon anyway, the whole fuss about his ranking has been the most publicity he's had in over a year, at least people are talking about him now so it might give him a better chance of getting a fight. 

Edwards has been shafted but he's not entirely blameless for the reasons Aventus has pointed out. If you don't sell, you sure as shit have to fight whoever they put in front of you and make your name that way. Leon Edwards can't pick and choose who he wants to fight because no one really gives a fuck about him.