You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Love him or hate him but you have to admire McGregor the way he has marketed himself and made an absolute wedge out of it. 

He's mostly backed up his words in the big fights as well which has helped.

Only problem now is you have lots of fighters acting like pricks because its worked for McGregor.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Love him or hate him but you have to admire McGregor the way he has marketed himself and made an absolute wedge out of it. 

Think he learnt a lot from Mayweather, but definitely has some kind of charisma that people seem to love. I hate the guy personally, though I'm sure he's totally different from the brash twat that promotes his fights. 

37 minutes ago, Elite said:

He's mostly backed up his words in the big fights as well which has helped.

Only problem now is you have lots of fighters acting like pricks because its worked for McGregor.

He was shit at the weekend. Defended like fuck though so it might just be about securing a rematch. 

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He was shit at the weekend. Defended like fuck though so it might just be about securing a rematch. 

He was just outclassed and he would be again next time, I don't think he deserves a rematch but he makes that much money that the UFC will give him one.

He doesn't have the gas tank to run with th elite of the division

I'm not sure he has carried his power either, the elite at 155lb is another level to the 145lb division that he was at. Aldo was always great but was just on the way down when Conor fought him and im not saying he got lucky knocking him out but who knows how that fight goes if Aldo had not lost his shit and charged him. He also avoided(not saying he dodged) Frankie Edgar, Conor had the power to stop him but Frankie at that time was a little bastard for taking a shot and somehow surviving the round to come back stronger, if he could have got out the 2nd round i would have thrown loads of money on Frankie down the stretch.

I don't think Conor can beat either Khabib or Ferguson(who i think beats Khabib)

There are a few fights i would still love to see Conor fight but i very much doubt he wants any of them, not enough reward in his view but a lot of risk

Dustin Poirier(different animal at 155lb than when Conor fought him at 145lb. 

Kevin Lee

Edson Barboza

Justin Gaethje

And i would watch the third Diaz fight, though i think Nate is wildly overrated, thougfh fun fighter to watch

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out, knew some already - Garbrandt Vs Dillashaw fights were great.

From the admittedly very little I've seen not sure I agree with whoever said Ferguson beats Khabib though.

Anyone else on the back of a defeat would drop down a few places on the rankings and have to rattle about fighting some of the other top 5 to earn the title shot again. 

Mcgregor seems to have free license to fight whoever, which might be to his detriment, he'll want Khabib again and it would probably be the same story, he needs a couple of easier fights to get the rust off, he was certainly stiffer and slower than we've seen in the past, didn't seem to let his hands go at all. 

If he did take some of the lower ranked fights it'd create some chaos in the division because fighters would rather fight Conor to get paid than fight Khabib for the title. 

I noticed that, too. He looked stuck in the mud, flat footed, no snap in his strikes. Even at the start of the first round. You have to question whether the hunger is still there after making £100m, and being the undisputed top dog in the gym won’t do him any favours when it comes to the level of improvements he needs to make to beat Khabib 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

I noticed that, too. He looked stuck in the mud, flat footed, no snap in his strikes. Even at the start of the first round. You have to question whether the hunger is still there after making £100m, and being the undisputed top dog in the gym won’t do him any favours when it comes to the level of improvements he needs to make to beat Khabib 

I always wonder of there is a element of the 'Tyson' effect with all KO artists

Conor was never really challeneged by many at 145lb who could take a clean shot off him and very rarely ever had to overcome issues in fights. He wilted under the in ring pressure of that fight imho. Even when he had the third round on the feet there was little there, he landed more and won the round but for all the shit Khabib has got that he can't stand and fight he took anything Conor threw without a issue and landed a fair few clean shots himself. 

I'm really not sure that his power has carried up the divisions. Eddie Alvarez has been down so many times its hard to judge. This is the first time in his career his back has been against the wall and it will be very interesting what happens from here. Those others ranked 3-10 will smell blood and most will want a shot as its a straight road to the title. 

I don't see Conor hanging around as a contender, his best bet is taking time off or taking a lower ranked fighter on a Irish card and hoping Tony beats Khabib as he will get a shot. There is little reason to give him another shot at Khabib anytime soon. It wasn't even close and letting them camps near each other would be the height of stupidity. If he doesn't like that i could see a 160-165lb catchweight fight with GSP and walk off with another load of cash in the bank. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Remmie said:

This fight really has sparked an interest in UFC at a greater level than ever before, I really found myself rooting for Khabib having been fairly ambivalent for most other fights. I was watching loads of Tony Ferguson footage in the aftermath who looks like he only deals in great fights and also found a real liking for Daniel Cormier. Brian Ortega looks the bollocks as well, who else should I keep an eye on? 

Watch a few Justin Gaethje fights haha

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DanDanShaw said:

Daniel Cormier Vs Derrick Lewis for the HW title at UFC 230/MSG card.  I'm not sure how but the UFC have managed to salvage that card.

Cormier should win pretty easily but Lewis keeps on landing that big shot and winning fights he's losing. Don't think that will happen with DC though.

16 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I always wonder of there is a element of the 'Tyson' effect with all KO artists

Conor was never really challeneged by many at 145lb who could take a clean shot off him and very rarely ever had to overcome issues in fights. He wilted under the in ring pressure of that fight imho. Even when he had the third round on the feet there was little there, he landed more and won the round but for all the shit Khabib has got that he can't stand and fight he took anything Conor threw without a issue and landed a fair few clean shots himself. 

I'm really not sure that his power has carried up the divisions. Eddie Alvarez has been down so many times its hard to judge. This is the first time in his career his back has been against the wall and it will be very interesting what happens from here. Those others ranked 3-10 will smell blood and most will want a shot as its a straight road to the title. 

I don't see Conor hanging around as a contender, his best bet is taking time off or taking a lower ranked fighter on a Irish card and hoping Tony beats Khabib as he will get a shot. There is little reason to give him another shot at Khabib anytime soon. It wasn't even close and letting them camps near each other would be the height of stupidity. If he doesn't like that i could see a 160-165lb catchweight fight with GSP and walk off with another load of cash in the bank. 

I think te best way to milk the last couple years of McGregor would be to arrange a tournament to announce the 165 division, with the winner being awarded the belt.  Do it similar to the WBSS where the top four seeds pick who they fight, that way if you stick McGregor on the 'easy' side of the draw, you're pretty much guaranteed three McGregor PPV's.  Quarter final, semi final and the final. 

Then after the tournament if he wins (or Nate won) he can defend/fight for the title Vs Nate III or if neither wins just do Nate III.  Maybe do the Khabib rematch for the 165 title should McGregor still hold it after all this. 

The GSP fight is definitely more sellable at 165 as well, it'd still be massive at 155 but who's to say GSP can even make 155 healthily.

I love the thought of the tournament, who would you have in it?

McGregor, GSP, Nate Diaz, Poirier, RDA, Cowboy Cerrone, Kevin Lee and maybe Michael Chiesa or Eddie Alvarez. 

Keep Ferguson and Khabib out of it because that fight needs to happen for the 155 belt, regardless of how many times they've tried.

I think Conor could beat Ferguson and Nate again.  He'd never beat Khabib and the old GSP would maul him, he didn't look that good against Bisping though and lets be fair Bisping is shite.  Obviously the lay-off and weight had a massive influence on this.

I'd love to see McGregor vs Ferguson/Nate/GSP.  He may have been battered by Khabib but we'll still all tune in to watch him fight and as long as he stays away from Khabib he'll be in interesting fights.

Yeah, there’s really no shame in being mauled by Khabib. There’s probably nobody on the planet at 155 who could beat him. By all accounts he beats the fuck out of Luke Rockhold in the gym all the time and that guy is fucking massive. Khabib is just a different animal. A motivated McGregor is still a top fighter 

6 minutes ago, moof said:

Yeah, there’s really no shame in being mauled by Khabib. There’s probably nobody on the planet at 155 who could beat him. By all accounts he beats the fuck out of Luke Rockhold in the gym all the time and that guy is fucking massive. Khabib is just a different animal. A motivated McGregor is still a top fighter 

The Khabib/McGregor rematch would be absolutely massive if McGregor can get a win or two under his belt and look motivated/good in doing so.  I can only ever see Khabib winning but the difference in performance between Diaz 1 and Diaz 2 shows McGregor can go away and learn.

2 hours ago, DanDanShaw said:

The Khabib/McGregor rematch would be absolutely massive if McGregor can get a win or two under his belt and look motivated/good in doing so.  I can only ever see Khabib winning but the difference in performance between Diaz 1 and Diaz 2 shows McGregor can go away and learn.

To be fair all he had to do in the Diaz rematch was conserve his energy more and even then he barely scraped win.  A lot of people didn't even think he won the 2nd fight. Plus he dominated Diaz in the first fight before gassing out so he at least had something to hold onto for the 2nd.

Against Khabib he was dominated in all departments.  There's absolutely nothing he can take from that fight and build on for any rematch.