You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

I don't agree with that. Masvidal would still be training to fight Usman for this very reason (That he gets called in last minute) Whereas Usman has been training to fight Burns and Burns alone.

Of course not much will change as Usman has a game plan and only needs to tweak it slightly but his whole vision has been to fight Burns.

Even in the rematch, I think Usman beats Masvidal - Usman beats anybody in this division.

6 minutes ago, Welsh said:

I don't agree with that. Masvidal would still be training to fight Usman for this very reason (That he gets called in last minute) Whereas Usman has been training to fight Burns and Burns alone.

Of course not much will change as Usman has a game plan and only needs to tweak it slightly but his whole vision has been to fight Burns.

Even in the rematch, I think Usman beats Masvidal - Usman beats anybody in this division.

Yeah I agree with that. I think he's beatable but not by anyone presently fighter at WW.

Better to find another sport to watch then mate. MMA includes fights like this (I'm not saying you are a casual but the level of casual fans moaning about this happening in MMA is laughable)

I had Volkanovski win rounds 3,4 & 5 but 3 was really close so it could've gone either way but I see loads of people calling it a robbery which is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Welsh said:

Better to find another sport to watch then mate. MMA includes fights like this (I'm not saying you are a casual but the level of casual fans moaning about this happening in MMA is laughable)

I had Volkanovski win rounds 3,4 & 5 but 3 was really close so it could've gone either way but I see loads of people calling it a robbery which is ridiculous.

To be fair mate, Dana called it as much in his press conference and the media in attendance all agreed.

I’m defo an MMA casual though. Big fan of the format they have though - one belt aside from interims per division, fair rankings, no holding belts, best fights the best. It’s the opposite in boxing and it’s ruining it for me.

Dana has always said it, he hated Tyron Woodley because of it but loves Khabib they hypocrite. The fact is it's a part of MMA so to moan about it is fine but to then say it's sucking the enjoyment out of the UFC then you should stop watching it.

Dana is a business man who knows that a big part of the UFC being successful is getting casual fans involved and keep them entertained but deep down he knows what Khabib, Usman etc do is a true skill.

One of the UFC's most recognised and respected names is Randy Couture. Randy's game plan was exactly what Usman's is but he never got half the level of hate Usman does.

I do agree with casuals though, it would be great to have strike after strike in every fight but it won't ever happen and if that's what casual fans want then they should stop watching UFC and seek out kickboxing instead.

5 minutes ago, Welsh said:

Dana has always said it, he hated Tyron Woodley because of it but loves Khabib they hypocrite. The fact is it's a part of MMA so to moan about it is fine but to then say it's sucking the enjoyment out of the UFC then you should stop watching it.

Dana is a business man who knows that a big part of the UFC being successful is getting casual fans involved and keep them entertained but deep down he knows what Khabib, Usman etc do is a true skill.

One of the UFC's most recognised and respected names is Randy Couture. Randy's game plan was exactly what Usman's is but he never got half the level of hate Usman does.

I do agree with casuals though, it would be great to have strike after strike in every fight but it won't ever happen and if that's what casual fans want then they should stop watching UFC and seek out kickboxing instead.

Sorry mate - I was referring to the Holloway Volkanovski fight. They all thought that it should have gone to Holloway and will look at doing the third fight. I haven’t seen Usman Masvidal yet.

23 minutes ago, Welsh said:

Better to find another sport to watch then mate.

Why? There are loads of fighters and fights that don't end up like that. Like I say, it's legitimate. It's part of the sport. I don't enjoy it. It's not the entire sport though. It's a shame that it's the winning tactic at the moment, but I'm sure that won't last forever. It's all a bit 'Stoke winning the Premier League'. It certainly doesn't mark you out as, well anything, to acknowledge that it's not a pretty sight. Most honest fans, commentators, owners, and fighters acknowledge it too. They shouldn't find another sport. 

21 minutes ago, belarus said:

Sorry mate - I was referring to the Holloway Volkanovski fight. They all thought that it should have gone to Holloway and will look at doing the third fight. I haven’t seen Usman Masvidal yet.

Yeah I've seen a lot of people say it and because of how close the 3rd went nobody could've argued against Holloway winning but I don't think it was a robbery because the round was so close. Had Holloway battered Volkanovski for rounds 1 2 & 3 and lost then fair enough it would be a robbery but because of how close it was I don't think it can be classed as a robbery tbh.

21 minutes ago, Numero said:

Why? There are loads of fighters and fights that don't end up like that. Like I say, it's legitimate. It's part of the sport. I don't enjoy it. It's not the entire sport though. It's a shame that it's the winning tactic at the moment, but I'm sure that won't last forever. It's all a bit 'Stoke winning the Premier League'. It certainly doesn't mark you out as, well anything, to acknowledge that it's not a pretty sight. Most honest fans, commentators, owners, and fighters acknowledge it too. They shouldn't find another sport. 

Yeah there are but there are also fights which go like this as well. Usman is a champion of the division and this is how he fights....always so you go in knowing how he is going to fight so really there can't be any complaints because it comes as no surprise.

They should definitely find another sport if they are claiming it's "Ruining UFC" as this is a part of the UFC. Usman isn't breaking any rules by fighting this way and it's playing to his strengths.

On another note, I'm a big fan of Bisping but thought his commentary was poor at times last night/this morning. Thought he called a lot of things wrong and missed a lot as well during the fights.

1 minute ago, Welsh said:

They should definitely find another sport if they are claiming it's "Ruining UFC" as this is a part of the UFC. Usman isn't breaking any rules by fighting this way and it's playing to his strengths.

I find that such a bland, banal response to criticism. It’s akin to saying that if you criticise these people you should fuck off. Don’t like VAR? Think it ruins the enjoyment of the sport? Shut up and find a new sport because thems is the rules. Well, no, thanks. I’ll stay watching the sports I want and have watched for many years, and have a view on its current level of enjoyment in some high levels matches without having to ditch the entire sport.

I mean, you’re free to say what you want and have your own view. It’s just my response to ‘find a new sport’ is... no. 

Good card apart from the main event. Usman is rightly the champion but his style is ridiculously dull and I hope he gets cleaned out soon as I can't be arsed with his fights.

I thought Holloway won 3-2.

The ref in the Yan/Also fight needs cutting after delaying the stoppage for as long as he did, shocking.

Rose is very likable and technically very good but Zhang Weili will starch her.

• Upvote 1

The problem with the Holloway fight just comes down to the scoring system. There's too few rounds to score it like boxing, especially when it's a split decision with one round possibly going either way. So the result and holder of the belt was determined by one judges view of one single round, he could have seen it as a round too close to call himself but has to give a 10-9 to somebody so just picked one at random. 

10 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The problem with the Holloway fight just comes down to the scoring system. There's too few rounds to score it like boxing, especially when it's a split decision with one round possibly going either way. So the result and holder of the belt was determined by one judges view of one single round, he could have seen it as a round too close to call himself but has to give a 10-9 to somebody so just picked one at random. 

Should just score even rounds 10-10 no reason why not.

1 hour ago, Numero said:

I find that such a bland, banal response to criticism. It’s akin to saying that if you criticise these people you should fuck off. Don’t like VAR? Think it ruins the enjoyment of the sport? Shut up and find a new sport because thems is the rules. Well, no, thanks. I’ll stay watching the sports I want and have watched for many years, and have a view on its current level of enjoyment in some high levels matches without having to ditch the entire sport.

I mean, you’re free to say what you want and have your own view. It’s just my response to ‘find a new sport’ is... no. 

You've said that it's "practically ruined the enjoyment of the UFC" for you. A Usman fight has ruined not just the fight, not just the card but the whole of the UFC. Come on mate...

34 minutes ago, Numero said:

FFS, look at the previous post I made. I’m talking about that style ruining the enjoyment of the UFC. Not one fight. 

I agree about that style being eye aids but there's always been fighters like that like Couture and GSP. The general standard of the fights in the UFC is top notch entertainment, so it's not ruining the UFC but frustrating none the less when 2 of the champions fight like this. Usman is even worse than Khabib, at least he goes for subs.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

I agree about that style being eye aids but there's always been fighters like that like Couture and GSP. The general standard of the fights in the UFC is top notch entertainment, so it's not ruining the UFC but frustrating none the less when 2 of the champions fight like this. Usman is even worse than Khabib, at least he goes for subs.

At the top level, it feels like it is ruining the enjoyment. For me at least. As you say, there’s still plenty of great fights and fighters. I’m never going to find the top level stuff enjoyable if it is 3 minutes of fighting and 22 minutes of leaning. Not top class wrestling but just leaning against the cage. Fuck that, man. 

2 hours ago, Numero said:

At the top level, it feels like it is ruining the enjoyment. For me at least. As you say, there’s still plenty of great fights and fighters. I’m never going to find the top level stuff enjoyable if it is 3 minutes of fighting and 22 minutes of leaning. Not top class wrestling but just leaning against the cage. Fuck that, man. 

I don't think Dana will happy either. Khabib brings to the table a massive Muslim fan base so can sell PPVs, Usman offers nothing in that respect. So for the UFC he's another boring champion that offers no commercial value.