You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

The UFC will never go down the tournament route

Too many issue arise from them. In the old days in pre regulation UFC they where all 3 fights in a night. Pride started the GP around 2000 and they where huge but you fought once to make it to the GP then the GP would happen and sometimes the final was another show it was always mixed up. The issue with these in the US though is only one fight per night and the chances of injury,suspensions throwing the whole tournament is so much bigger than boxing its would not work. I love the idea but the UFC won't do it. To have even a 4 man tournament would hold the belt up for a year and post tournament the rankings are a mess. 

Conor really does not deserve a shot at the 160lb title either

He is 2-2 in his past 4 and has not had a win since Nov 2016,most of that inactivity 

No way they put GSP in a tournie either and from what i have read they don't even want to give him a title shot after him reentering retirement after the Bisping win. If GSP can make 165lb healthy he beats all of them anyway. He is the greatest of alltime in my opinion. Jon Jones would run him close but the drug failures screw that up as you wonder how muchg of his career was dirty, the only time we know he was clean was against OSP and he was terrible.

It's a shame it is not the Pride era as a 16 man tournament at 165lb would be amazing

Im assuming a few of these could make weight but and including non UFC fighters

1 Tony Ferguson

2 Khabib Nurmagomedov

3 Dustin Poirier

4 Eddie Alvarez

5 Kevin Lee

Edson Barboza

Justin Gaethje

Paul Daley

Nate Diaz

10 Max Holloway

11 Rafael dos Anjos

12 Robbie Lawler

13 Jorge Masvidal

14 Donald Cerrone

15 Rory MacDonald

16 Michael Page

Conor doesn't beat Khabib or Ferguson for me

His issue looks to be his power has not come up with him, these lightweights are taking his shots

Conor was the first to knock Alvarez out but it has happened since and Eddie has been dropped loads and is a long way into his career full of wars. It reminds me of Chuck Liddell, great chin through his career but once Rampage blew him away and he lost his title them KO losses come quickly after. To many miles on the clock.

No way Conor can last the 5 rounds with the pace and pressure Tony and Khabib put on people unless he could somehow fix the cardio issues and that doesn't look likely. Also both are superb grapplers and we have seen he struggles in that department. GSP fully healthy would beat the hell out of him on the ground, well at least he would if Conor pissed him off and that pretty likely

6 hours ago, Elite said:

Was it a suicide attempt?

But yeah he's bad, that's a serious brain injury that he won't recover from.

I dont think it was actually.

I think i read somewhere that it was one of those huge long freight trains that can take an age to go by, and apparently he was trying to get across quickly before the train went by.

14 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I dont think it was actually.

I think i read somewhere that it was one of those huge long freight trains that can take an age to go by, and apparently he was trying to get across quickly before the train went by.

Hell of a gamble that. 

5 minutes ago, Welsh said:

A few people are saying it was a suicide attempt but noone other than Matt knows exactly what he was doing.

I guess we'll never know as he won't remember a thing about it. I'm very surprised he survived it to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 1:26 PM, Welsh said:

Anyone seen just how bad Matt Hughes is after the train accident? It's so awful!!

I've seen him attending various events etc but had no idea he was in that bad a shape, thought it was more his physical movement was comprimised but it's like he has had a stroke.

Legend, and I'd say if Royce Gracie was a pioneer with his Bjj crossover then Matt was definitely one of the wrestling pioneers and even beat the Goat George, until he improved.

Wasnt always everyone's cup of tea but he started dominating right when I first started watching the ufc.

Horrible to watch, 

Brought back some horrible memories of waking up in hospital myself but you hope he can keep improving

Could not stand him as a fighter and after reading his book and seeing him on things like TUF thought he was a complete cunt of a man. His wife pretty much admitted it on that doc too. But still wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

I see DJ has been released by the UFC to go to One FC and they are doing the same so Ben Askren can come to the UFC. Think they dump the 125lb division soon and think DJ wanted nothing to do with the elite at 135 hence the 'trade'. Askren is going to wrestle fuck the life out of some at the 155-170 range if he can make the cut. I reckon we see a little changing of weight classes soon to get that 165ln division. Reckon 170 will go up a few pounds to 175lb.

Lewis v Cormier turned out to be the completely as expected mismatch. Stipe deserved that rematch.

The refereeing on the Weidman stoppage was abysmal, good job that Jacare showed some compassion and just threw a few half hearted digs until it was stopped. Ridiculous.

Adesyana was very impressive vs Brunson.

I don't agree with immediate rematches ever time for champions. Especially those ko'd in round one. Stipe should fight again before a title shot imo. He should be fighting Curtis Blaydes. 

The fact Brock Lesnar next is a fucking joke. Not won a fight since July 2010 

that was an enjoyable card, regardless of the quality, or should i say lack of, particularly in the main event.

That Adesanya kid looks the absolute real deal. He's like a mix of Mcgregor/Silva, really super movement and striking range. 

Weidman needs to call it a day. Whether its an age issue, or something more sinister. But ever since the USADA came into the UFC Weidman has been woeful. Thats not even up for the debate. The lad has been cracked far too often for my liking and he really needs to think about hi long term health.

As for the main event.

It went the way we all expected, but i still cant seem to come to terms that the best heavyweight mixed martial artist can be a small fat guy touching 40 years of age.

Surely there's someone in the UFC that can beat a near 40 year old, fat midget wrestler?

Call me naive, but when i look at DC, i just cant get my head around how someone who looks worse than me, is seemingly unbeatable? confused.png

Heavyweight MMA has also been shite. 

There has been a few good fighters over the years but never enough at the same time. The fact the best era was 2002-2005 tells it all. Fedor, Nog and Cro Cop was as good as it got. 

Can would have been the best if he could be healthy. JDS never been the same since Cain battered him. 

Just throw out USADA and bring back Ubereem

28 minutes ago, DanDanShaw said:

I still think Stripe beats DC 9 times out of 10.  DC will avoid the rematch and fight Brock then retire.

Maybe. That fight was certainly interesting until he was sparked out.

Of course, Jones beats him as well, at heavyweight.