You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Complaining in restuarants

The Great Jacko

I wouldn't complain in a restaurant, I just wouldn't go back.

I hate going out with people who moan about everything as well & people who put tomato sauce on stuff don't tend to make it home that night.

Fucking nonces.

I hate going out with people who moan about everything as well & people who put tomato sauce on stuff don't tend to make it home that night.

Fucking nonces.

Asking for ketchup at a restaurant is one step away from cutting up your pasta before eating it. Sickening behaviour.

• Upvote 1

My bird will complain about anything that it even slightly wrong unless we're in a cheap and cheerful establishment. Her ma used to run a restaurant so she doesn't mess about. I complain through her because they could serve me a steaming dog turd on the plate and I'd still answer the question "how was your meal?" With "lovely thanks yeah cheers ta" and leave a tip.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Fucking nonces.

That's almost how I dealt with an issue. I complained because the starters were so late they brought them after the main, we obviously sent them back. So I refused to pay for the starters (they still billed me for)  and when they asked if I wanted to speak to the manager I told them I did not, I'd just never eat there again, and I have not. 

Tipping in the states is crazy though, what is it now, 20% or something. It helps the skinflint owners pay their staff next to nothing while also making their prices on the menu seem low. Here's a tip or two, don't employ people that haven't got the skills to serve the public and pay the ones you do a decent wage.

Tipping in the states is ridiculous, everyone from the barman to the concierge gets one, I gave the concierge chap outside the hotel $2 just for hailing a cab to the airport then conversing with the cabbie on how to put our overly large cases in the boot, in the end after 2 or 3 minutes of the cabbie and cab hailer dicking around I ended up telling him told him to put one in the front seat. The funny thing is that the taxi to the airport came to something like $43.15 so I gave him $60 (only had 3 twenties) and said call it $50, to which i recieved a very strange sighing and clicking sound and $15 change as he'd clearly misheard me and thought I wanted $15 back as opposed to me giving him a $7 tip, so instead he got about $1.85. A small win on my part but serves him right for not listening and feeling entitled to more money when the meter already started at $7 anyway the cheeky fucker.

The waiting staff in the US are generally what i would call above and beyond though, they ensure that your drink is full, are attentive, mostly pleasant and to be fair I think they earn their corn and deserve a decent tip. Like Davelfc said you are essentially funding their lousy wages by skinflint bosses but it's something I dont begrudge.

I was writing the tip on the bill. Paying by card then leaving the tip in cash as well as I didn't know.

There's a Cuban restaurant in Florida who's band still plays a song about the gringo who left the $40 tip

You dumb motherfucker.

I may tip a cabbie provided they don't talk to me, ever. 

I always tip in restaurants if the waitress is pleasant and accomodating. Being reasonably fit may sway it as well.

I rarely tip in boozers as the ale is expensive enough and they are basically just knocking the lid off a bottle for you. Again, if i'm drunk enough and the bartender is female and decent on the eye I may give them a tip. 

Yes, i am shallow.

After one occasion when I was served very expensive awful food and after getting no joy from the manager I advised them that I wouldn't let them get away with it so easily. I bet they regret ever setting their eyes on me when they realised I hadn't placed my knife and fork together on the finished plate, as you are legally supposed to do, but instead in a hilarious V shape telling them in a stainless steely way to fuck off. No one gets one over on me.

• Upvote 5

We will all sit there moaning to each about how shit the food is and how long we have waited blah blah and the girl will come over and say

'Everything Ok with your meals folks'

'Yeah perfect lovely thanks' we reply. Every time rather than cause a scene.

Guest Pistonbroke

We will all sit there moaning to each about how shit the food is and how long we have waited blah blah and the girl will come over and say

'Everything Ok with your meals folks'

'Yeah perfect lovely thanks' we reply. Every time rather than cause a scene.

I'm the same as I just can't be doing with the hassle, my missus just comes out with the truth and says "No, it was shit!" 

I'm amazed by the amount of shit restaurants people go to!

I've given up on most of them. Particularly dishes you can do at home just as good. You will never cook an Indian or Chinese etc like they can so thats different but going out with folk ordering fillet steak well done and paying £30 odd quid for it is stupid (I know you're a veggie Rem but you catch my drift)

Guest Pistonbroke

I've given up on most of them. Particularly dishes you can do at home just as good. You will never cook an Indian or Chinese etc like they can so thats different but going out with folk ordering fillet steak well done and paying £30 odd quid for it is stupid (I know you're a veggie Rem but you catch my drift)

We rarely eat out, normally just when family celebrate birthday's etc, it is them who invite us a long. I'd rather cook for everyone myself or have a BBQ if the weather is playing ball. 

After one occasion when I was served very expensive awful food and after getting no joy from the manager I advised them that I wouldn't let them get away with it so easily. I bet they regret ever setting their eyes on me when they realised I hadn't placed my knife and fork together on the finished plate, as you are legally supposed to do, but instead in a hilarious V shape telling them in a stainless steely way to fuck off. No one gets one over on me.

Louche.  I once wrote 'Pissteeth' on the bill.  Legged it out of there before they came back to clear the table, obviously.