You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why buy attacking players when you can buy defenders?

Code

I'm not sure I agree. We did buy Aspas, Alberto and had Borini to add to the all destructive firepower of Sturrudge, Suarez and Coutinho. I think a fairer argument may be that we should have bought proven quality instead of Aspas and Alberto, but, in fairness, we apparently did try that; why that never materialised is another matter, one that is likely to see me insulted as a raving anti-American lunatic.

• Upvote 1

We need a couple of windows where every penny is spent on improving the first 11. No side buys as many squad fillers hit and hopers like us and it shows. Seriously push the first teamers to the bench you don't spend a fortune supplementing a side that finishes 7th or 8th you make those players who got you there second choice.

• Upvote 2

Somewhere between this:

Last season we had 14 points from the same fixtures, this season we have 16. Our season could easily fall apart very quickly when we face some decent sides.

and this:

If only we were 8 points and 10 places better off than this time last season.

there is truth.

Somewhere between this:

and this:

there is truth.

My post is more accurate though. 

Last year all we heard was how we needed some new defenders and how we needed more steal. Them players have been bought yet its being used as a stick to beat the manager with despite us being 3rd in the league. It cant be both.

I know Code goes about making his point in a less than diplomatic manner but he's right.

At the end of last season we needed a top quality CB, a top quality DM and a top quality attacking wide player.

We spent a fair wedge of cash and only potentialy addressed one of those positions.

Yet we're a better side. Im going to side with the manager on this one.

He'd be out of a job if we weren't Rob.

His job isn't to just improve us on last year but to make us as good as possible with the resources at his disposal.

Yep.

Had we been even shitter last season would that make our current performances even better?

We've got nothing on the bench to change a game, and its especially apparent considering how poor we are in the second half of games this season.

He'd be out of a job if we weren't Rob.

His job isn't to just improve us on last year but to make us as good as possible with the resources at his disposal.

I know but gradual improvement and being near the top of the league at this moment in time is what people would have been happy with 6 months ago. I dont see why the goalposts have to keep being moved and most things being used as a criticism towards the manager when he's doing a really good job. 

• Upvote 2