You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: "Auxerre (1991-92)" by Steve Horton

tlw content

Returning to Europe after six years out due to the Heysel ban, the Reds looked set for early elimination following a 2-0 defeat in France. But Mark Walters stepped up to become the hero as we overcame such a deficit for the first time ever.

With many players out injured and a four foreigners rule imposed, it was very much a makeshift Liverpool side that took the field for this 2nd round 2nd leg game.  Only 23,000 fans bothered to turn out for a match that few expected us to win. But an early penalty from Jan Molby got us going and Mike Marsh squared things before the break.  

Then with 7 minutes remaining Walters, who had signed from Rangers in the summer, broke free to give us the lead. He sank to his knees in front of the Kop and was mobbed by his team-mates as fans went berserk.

We went on to reach the fourth round of the UEFA Cup, losing out to the Italians of Genoa, but Walters 4 years at Anfield were largely frustrating, with a goal that denied the Mancs the title being his only other meaningful contribution.

auxerre1.jpg

Season:  1991/92
Opposition: Auxerre
Result: 3-0
Scorers: Molby (pen), Marsh, Walters
Venue: Anfield

Click here to view the article

Very true.  I can actually, genuinely, say I was in fact there.  But in larger groups of reds I’ve stopped saying it because you can actually see people turn their eyes to heaven when you say you were there.  It’s like the 250,000 people that say they saw the first Beatles gig at the Cavern.

But it was a weird day given the lack of crowd.  When it got loud it was very loud, but at other points you could actually hear the players shouting instructions at each other.  The late goal was fantastic though.

I didn't go.  That year I had a routine of watching our European games on the telly in my mates house whilst drinking copious amounts of vodka and coke, and as soon as it finished we headed out to the Paradox.

I remember one game where Dean Saunders scored four, and I'm sure I can remember a Paul Stewart hat-trick, or maybe that's the vodka talking?

Apollon Limassol was my first european game at Anfield. Must have been the season after that one.... My dad defo went because I remember this game from one of our boxes of match programmes I always dig out whenever I go home. 

And as for the Paradox..... fucking hell. Many a Saturday night lost in there. 

Yea, I remember watching that Saunders game on the telly.  The final score was 6-1 or 6-2.  We played Kusasi Lati (No doubt my spelling is wrong).  I always remember that name for some reason.  The following game was the Auxerre one if I’m not mistaken.

went to the away leg as well. not that i remember much about it. we drove down overnight and got there about 8am. there was a café open across the square outside the away end serving beer and needless to say come kick off we were all wrecked. i have vague memories of the stand we were in being just scaffolding and boards, the bloke on the tannoy shouting ''allez les blancs'' througout and whoever played right back for us that night getting an absolute pasting of their left winger. happy dayz

Very true.  I can actually, genuinely, say I was in fact there.  But in larger groups of reds I’ve stopped saying it because you can actually see people turn their eyes to heaven when you say you were there.  It’s like the 250,000 people that say they saw the first Beatles gig at the Cavern.

But it was a weird day given the lack of crowd.  When it got loud it was very loud, but at other points you could actually hear the players shouting instructions at each other.  The late goal was fantastic though.

I missed Mike Marsh's goal because some arl fella was trying piss on my leg through his Echo in the corner of the Kop. And then ended up stepping in it because I was getting pushed around by the swaying. Probably the first time I was more interested in not getting piss on my trainers, which were brand new black samba. 

I didn't go.  That year I had a routine of watching our European games on the telly in my mates house whilst drinking copious amounts of vodka and coke, and as soon as it finished we headed out to the Paradox.

I remember one game where Dean Saunders scored four, and I'm sure I can remember a Paul Stewart hat-trick, or maybe that's the vodka talking?

Sion, 6-2 at home (I think it was 6) was when Saunders got 4. I remember Barnes setting up a couple as well. 

Apollon Limassol was my first european game at Anfield. Must have been the season after that one.... My dad defo went because I remember this game from one of our boxes of match programmes I always dig out whenever I go home. 

And as for the Paradox..... fucking hell. Many a Saturday night lost in there. 

You're 28 aren't you Stig?

So how the fuck did you spend many a Saturday night in the Paradox when it closed in 2001 and you would have been 15/16 at the time. I know they were a lot more lenient towards the end but come on, many a Saturday night? 

I spent many a Thursday, Friday and Saturday then added a Wednesday to my visiting days in '98 for the over 25's. then stopped going after the August Bank Holiday Main Event in '99 when JP the Dancer (some loon that followed the Kev Seed Show everywhere) managed to snag a bird I had been chatting up all night. A ginger famed for his shit dancing getting the bird I wanted to take home was too much shame to deal with.

Saturday nights consisted of going the Manhattan for a few at about 7:30, then over to the Pair 'O Socks at about 9:30. Straight in to the Verne Suite for a sit down and wait for Match of The Day, watch that then go the main room for a dance then the Deja Vu for a guaranteed shag. 

They were all getting rattled by the Bouncers. I should know my Uncle's ex wife was one of them. And ex of mine was as well. Bar maid that is, not bouncer.

Stig was probably drinking Malibu and Coke because it was a quid and dancing to "Never Ever" with some fat bird who couldn't get anyone all night so picked Stig and he was made up.

Got to feel her arse cheek didn't he.

Saunders was long gone when we played Sion, deffo Kyussi Lahti or however you spell it when he scored 4.

That Sion game was one of the most entertaining matches I think I've ever seen btw.

Re Saunders.

There was a spell when there was no football on telly at all due to some dispute between the TV companies and the authorities over how much should be paid for the deal at the time, or at least I think that was the reason. So all we ever saw was brief goal scoring highlights on the news.

This period seemed to coincide with Saunders being at his best, looking a bit, and even playing a bit like Keegan and, scoring loads of goals for Derby.

So based on this, I quite stupidly as it turned out, was made up when we bought him.

Little did I know that Keegan even now would be better than he was then.

A big disappointment who didn't do much to endear himself to me after he left either by scoring 2 against us straight away for Villa. I THINK he might have scored a winning goal against us at Anfield later in the same season too.

I missed Mike Marsh's goal because some arl fella was trying piss on my leg through his Echo in the corner of the Kop. And then ended up stepping in it because I was getting pushed around by the swaying. Probably the first time I was more interested in not getting piss on my trainers, which were brand new black samba. 

Sion, 6-2 at home (I think it was 6) was when Saunders got 4. I remember Barnes setting up a couple as well. 

You're 28 aren't you Stig?

So how the fuck did you spend many a Saturday night in the Paradox when it closed in 2001 and you would have been 15/16 at the time. I know they were a lot more lenient towards the end but come on, many a Saturday night? 

I spent many a Thursday, Friday and Saturday then added a Wednesday to my visiting days in '98 for the over 25's. then stopped going after the August Bank Holiday Main Event in '99 when JP the Dancer (some loon that followed the Kev Seed Show everywhere) managed to snag a bird I had been chatting up all night. A ginger famed for his shit dancing getting the bird I wanted to take home was too much shame to deal with.

Saturday nights consisted of going the Manhattan for a few at about 7:30, then over to the Pair 'O Socks at about 9:30. Straight in to the Verne Suite for a sit down and wait for Match of The Day, watch that then go the main room for a dance then the Deja Vu for a guaranteed shag. 

I'm 29 and went most saturdays for a good year , easier to get in than anywhere in town