Quantcast
Featured: Three title challenges in 23 years. How does today's team compare? (ESPN article) - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Featured: Three title challenges in 23 years. How does today's team compare? (ESPN article)

I reckon this current team is miles away from the others.

If you put together a mashed-up team, I think only Suarez of the current team would be with in a sniff of getting in it.  Wouldn't put any of the others on the bench either.

Reina 

Jones Hyypia Henchoz Riise

Mascherano Alonso Gerrard (2009)

Suarez

Fowler, Torres

Summat like that.

Bench: Berger, Owen, Collymore, Barnes, Redknapp, Dudek, Carragher

Johnson's better than Rob Jones.  But the rest is probably about right.  You should have put 2009 in brackets after Torres's name as well.  And Reina's.  

Well, given Reina and Torres don't play for us currently, yet Gerrard does I only thought I needed to be specific with him.

I'd take Rob Jones over Glen Johnson any day of the week, and I like Johnson.

That's because he's your dad.  Rob Jones was a great defender and I remember well his debut, but he wasn't as silky smooth as GJ when sliding forward. 

And I accept the point about the brackets.  I can see I was wrong there.

Reina

Jones Carra (2005) Hyppia Bjornebye

Mascherano Alonso Gerrard

Torres Fowler Suarez 

for me anyway. 

i'd have an at his best jones over johnson at right back any day. I like johnson but jones was brilliant. 

I'd have Babbel over him as well.

He didn't really play in GH's team that came 2nd, so you can't!

I agree Johnson has more forward threat than Jones, but all around play I'd take Jones.

fair enough.

Glen probably has a spot on the bench as being able to cover both fullbacks.

He's a funny one Johnson, we obviously have missed him when he's been out as he adds so much balance to the team.  But a lot of people still don't rate him very highly.

Hopefully we win a load of stuff in the next couple of years and his appreciation levels will go up.

Having Alonso and Masch in the team would give more attacking licence to the full backs. For that reason I think Johnson would be a better shout.

Rob Jones was quality. I reckon he'd be as good as Johnson if he played today, and I love Johnson.

He obviously had finishing issues, but I reckon his passing game involvement is as good as Glen's.  Probably give Johnson a slight edge on dribbling, but Jones could go past players too.  Johnson slightly better in the air, Jones better at one-on-one defending.

He obviously had finishing issues, but I reckon his passing game involvement is as good as Glen's.  Probably give Johnson a slight edge on dribbling, but Jones could go past players too.  Johnson slightly better in the air, Jones better at one-on-one defending.

I agree, although Johnson's goal scoring record is nothing to write home about.