You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Three title challenges in 23 years. How does today's team compare? (ESPN article)

tlw content

I reckon this current team is miles away from the others.

If you put together a mashed-up team, I think only Suarez of the current team would be with in a sniff of getting in it.  Wouldn't put any of the others on the bench either.

Reina 

Jones Hyypia Henchoz Riise

Mascherano Alonso Gerrard (2009)

Suarez

Fowler, Torres

Summat like that.

Bench: Berger, Owen, Collymore, Barnes, Redknapp, Dudek, Carragher

Johnson's better than Rob Jones.  But the rest is probably about right.  You should have put 2009 in brackets after Torres's name as well.  And Reina's.  

Well, given Reina and Torres don't play for us currently, yet Gerrard does I only thought I needed to be specific with him.

I'd take Rob Jones over Glen Johnson any day of the week, and I like Johnson.

fair enough.

Glen probably has a spot on the bench as being able to cover both fullbacks.

He's a funny one Johnson, we obviously have missed him when he's been out as he adds so much balance to the team.  But a lot of people still don't rate him very highly.

Hopefully we win a load of stuff in the next couple of years and his appreciation levels will go up.

Rob Jones was quality. I reckon he'd be as good as Johnson if he played today, and I love Johnson.

He obviously had finishing issues, but I reckon his passing game involvement is as good as Glen's.  Probably give Johnson a slight edge on dribbling, but Jones could go past players too.  Johnson slightly better in the air, Jones better at one-on-one defending.

He obviously had finishing issues, but I reckon his passing game involvement is as good as Glen's.  Probably give Johnson a slight edge on dribbling, but Jones could go past players too.  Johnson slightly better in the air, Jones better at one-on-one defending.

I agree, although Johnson's goal scoring record is nothing to write home about.