You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harry Wilson

fowler9

I'll take your word for it Alan, I wouldn't click any links you post anyway... god knows what I'd find on the other end...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24555555

There we are. That's pretty ace.

Harry Wilson's grandfather nets £125,000 over Wales debut bet
_70526713_019656899-1.jpgHarry Wilson became Wales' youngest senior player after making his debut against Belgium

A grandfather is to net £125,000 after he placed a £50 bet on his grandson playing football for Wales - when he was 18 months old.

I was shattered because I had to wait for 85, 86 minutes before he came on and I was panicking because they'd already substituted twice, so I thought he wasn't going to make it”

Peter Edwards Harry Wilson's grandfather

At 16 years and 207 days, the Liverpool midfielder was 108 days younger than previous record holder Gareth Bale, now the world's most expensive footballer following his recent move to Real Madrid.

There had been speculation that England were ready to try to persuade Wilson to switch international allegiance, but he opted for Wales.

Mr Edwards explained how he felt when Wilson made his appearance.

"I was shattered because I had to wait for 85, 86 minutes before he came on and I was panicking because they'd already substituted twice, so I thought he wasn't going to make it," he said.

"But when he came on I had another glass of wine. (I was) a proud granddad first for sure.

"I told my wife at half-time that my pulse was 106 - I didn't know whether that was good or bad."

Mr Edwards said Wilson had showed an interest in football from a young age.

_70526370_wilson.jpg
Peter Edwards was quoted odds of 2,500/1 when he placed the bet

"When he was about 18 months old he used to chase a ball around on the carpet before he could walk," Mr Edwards said.

"I went into William Hill in Wrexham and asked them how I go about it. I had no idea how to do it and the manageress put me in touch with London."

Electrical contractor Mr Edwards, of Corwen, Denbighshire, works away from home most of the year, spending one weekend a fortnight with wife Dorothy, 58.

"She is over the moon. I retired immediately. I told my manager yesterday that if Harry plays I wouldn't be coming back," said Mr Edwards.

"I've retired one year early. I have come home now and will not be going back. Not bad for a daft bet."

He said after Harry enrolled in the Liverpool FC academy his skills quickly developed and he returned to William Hill in the hope of placing a second bet.

"Harry was about 12 then. But they turned me down and said I already had a substantial bet with them. But they threw in England as a gesture of goodwill," he added.

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...

Would love to see Wilson in the squad next season. Trouble is, some of these young lads are impatient and expect to be in the first team (I dont think Wilson is one of these) when they've shown very little.

Word is that bobby duncan is getting hacked off not getting into the 1st team squad and is looking to move on. Again. He came to us from city because he thought he'd be in our squad.

Ive seen him a few times and he doesnt strike me as a particularly outstanding talent. Wilson does look capable and yes, Im aware he's older.