You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benitez.

I love Rafael so much I keep a laminated photograph of him in my wallet.

That's exactly what the pictures above are for.

You don't go back. The circumstances with Kenny were of course different. I was a big fan and our defence would be more solid but we'd still be scraping wins and getting draws. Our attack wasn't all that when you took away the genius of Torres and Gerrard.

That's exactly what the pictures above are for.

You don't go back. The circumstances with Kenny were of course different. I was a big fan and our defence would be more solid but we'd still be scraping wins and getting draws. Our attack wasn't all that when you took away the genius of Torres and Gerrard.

Real Madrid's attack isn't all that, if you take away Ronaldo, Bale, and Benzema.

Probably would defend better but hr would never have had us playing the way we did last year. I know we're terrible at the moment but I said when rodgers was appointed I reckon we'll be more likely to win the league under him but Rafa was more likely to win us a cup. I still feel that Rafa is too naturally cautious to win us the league in this climate.

Id love to see Rafa back one day if Rodgers does'nt work out, but the revisionism over his time here is laughable.

Rafa just a cup man........ Rafa wastes money...... Rafa isnt an attacking coach.

This the same man who won two spanish league titles, The same man who had Liverpool finish over 80+ points twice.

The same man who only spent over £20 Million once for Torres and even then had to sell Luis Garcia to sweeten the deal.

In his first season at the club he lost the clubs no 1 striker to Real Madrid He then lost the clubs replacement No1 striker for nearly the whole season to a double leg fracture, then relying on Baros and two kids (Pongolle, Mellor) to keep the team going the entire league season, and at the same time juggling it with a champions league campaign which was unbelieveable.

The problems only started for Rafa when Moores left and them two clowns arrived.

And yet Rodgers who hasnt won a thing in his career is a more sure bet to win the league. Lets see how he negotiates this campaign with league and champions league before we roll out all the platitudes, because until he puts pots in the cabinet the comparisons are irrelevant

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

His record speaks for itself but you're looking back with rose tinted spectacles on just like you probably were at the time that he got the bullet.  He may have been great at Valencia but who gives a shit about that now it's nearly 15 years ago.  His time at Liverpool and since make me not want him anywhere near the club ever again.

His tactics 90+% of the time were to stop the other team scoring, no matter who they were and hope our skill players create a chance out of nothing to win games.  They're tactics that helped us do well in the Champions League because they suit it due to generally playing against utter shite then coming up against the best in the world.  When you play against complete dross you can/will beat them just because of the standard of players you have compared to them (although Rafa even struggled against this level of team plenty of times) and then when you come up against the good sides you are very well drilled and very difficult to break down.  With a bit of luck you can scrape through against these sides with the odd anomaly of drilling someone..

The ace card that Rafa had in his pack was Gerrard.  This is the most complete player of all time and one of the best attacking players of that era.  We will never have another player like him again.  If Gerrard wasn't here then I doubt Rafa would have lasted much beyond 1 season.  Now I know the argument against that is to say well if Barca didn't have Messi or Utd didn't have Ronaldo etc etc but the answer to that is they would have just signed somebody else or a number of players.  We can't just do that.

When Gerrard started on the wane so did Rafa's whole game plan.  We finished 7th in the league and I know there were a lot of mitigating circumstances but he had ran out of ideas, football had passed him by.  Nothing that's happened since regarding him has shown otherwise.  That 09/10 season had been coming for a long time.  We'd seen what would happen if we got even a sniff of the title.  He would shit his bills.  It's why I will never hold the Chelsea game against Rodgers.  Had Rodgers lined up defensively and we got beat 1 nil due to inviting a massively negative Chelsea on to us I don't think I could have forgiven him because it would have been Benitez all over again for me. 

The brainless cunts among us will always throw out the goals scored under Rafa because they are brainless cunts.  If we lined up with 9 CB's, a goalkeeper and Gerrard and somehow scored 100 goals in a season because every shot Gerrard hit went in they would tell me we weren't negative.  We were negative and because we had Roy of the fucking Rovers playing for us we still scored goals anyway and did relatively well but I hate this bullshit that Rafa got the best out of him.  He didn't.  Gerrard got the best out of Gerrard.  If we had had Rodgers in the position he's in now when Gerrard was at his peak we would have won league title after league title.  You only have to look at Torres before and after his Gerrard time.  He's a fucking waster.  I have no doubt Gerrard at that time would have turned most good strikers world class as he did with Torres.

• Upvote 4